Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO/Vintages - Sam Adams Utopias 2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

LCBO/Vintages - Sam Adams Utopias 2011

Post by GregClow »

The announcement below was released today by the LCBO.

The most important bit to note is that unlike last year's lottery distribution, this year's batch will be sold on a first come first served basis.

Good luck!

-----

Sam Adams Utopias is back and we are pleased to provide the following update.

· LCBO has purchased 210 bottles (710 mL) of 2011 Utopias for customers.

· Like last year, it will retail for $114.95 per 710 mL bottle.

· Due to the extremely limited availability of this product, and to ensure all customers have an equal opportunity to purchase it, the LCBO will be offering Utopias on a first-come, first-served basis by telephone only, not in LCBO stores or online. Payment may be made by Visa, MasterCard or American Express. Orders will be shipped to the LCBO store of the customer’s choice at no extra charge.

Order by Telephone

· Sam Adams Utopias will be available to purchase by telephone beginning at 9 a.m. on Friday, November 18 by calling the Vintages Sales Centre at 416 365-5767, or toll free 1-800-266-4764 (Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.).

· Again, due to the very limited availability of this product, there will be a limit of one bottle per customer. We expect this product to sell out quickly so customers are encouraged to call early.

As you know, Sam Adams Utopias is considered by some beer collectors to be the culmination of the art of brewing. The 2011 release, which the LCBO is offering, is a blend of batches, some aged as long as 16 years in bourbon, sherry and port casks. Utopias is meant to be enjoyed more in the manner of a fine sherry, brandy or Cognac.
Last edited by GregClow on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

wow, the wife would kill me. :cry:

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

So how many people do they have working the phones? Any Oenophiles in here have experience getting limited wines this way?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

kafercrazy wrote:wow, the wife would kill me. :cry:
As would mine* (See end note below)

I can't imagine even bothering stressing myself out that much just to buy a bottle.

* End note:
My wife puts up with a lot of beer crap - (Oh you're brewing beer now, are you?)

When I "have" to stop off at Cooper St. on the Saturdays when we're leaving the city, she gets her seven year old to go in with me.

His job is to bug me so I don't spend too long in there. He's pretty hilarious, especially when he makes suggestions. Last time he wanted me to buy a six of dead guy because it was halloween...[/i]
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

JeffPorter wrote:
His job is to bug me so I don't spend too long in there. He's pretty hilarious, especially when he makes suggestions. Last time he wanted me to buy a six of dead guy because it was halloween...[/i]
Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders. My five year old is quite entertaining in the LCBO, sometimes I think she has more beer knowledge than most of the staff working.

210 bottles is quite a low limit. I'm going to try to get one but I'm not too optimistic.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Still have a bottle and a half from the auction last year. I had 12-15 people call in for the Lottery last year and luckly three of us hit. A close buddy decided to keep the third. Enjoyed what I've had of the first bottle going to try to get another one this year, would be interesting to compare the two.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Worth every penny. 8)
Aventinus rules!

uno99

Post by uno99 »

Is this a good price for this Vs. what it typically sells for in the US?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Extremely rare that any store sells it for under $120. 2x that on the internets
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

It's a ridiculously good price comparatively but still, hard to shell out that kind of money for some people.

xocoatl

Post by xocoatl »

When I was in Buffalo this past weekend, village beer merchant had a bottle, and were asking about $220 for it if I recall correctly (and it was from this years batch)

lyndonk

Post by lyndonk »

Noobie question but how long will this brew last once opened? I noticed once that Beer Bistro sells it by the ounce...Or I think it used to? Would need more than my regular duo to finish that bottle in a sitting...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lyndonk wrote:Noobie question but how long will this brew last once opened?
It's as strong as a liqueur, and not carbonated at all. So as long as you get the cap on tight after each sample, it should last for quite some time.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

definitely gonna try to get one. thanks for the heads up Greg.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

uno99

Post by uno99 »

GregClow wrote:
lyndonk wrote:Noobie question but how long will this brew last once opened?
It's as strong as a liqueur, and not carbonated at all. So as long as you get the cap on tight after each sample, it should last for quite some time.
Even with a tight cap, it's still gonna be subject to oxidization though. So I probably wouldn't go more than a year with an open bottle; although I have no firsthand experience with this "beer".

If you really want to keep it pristine for years you can use this stuff:

Just spray it in the bottle before you cap it, and the nitrogen keeps the oxygen from contacting the liquid.