Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

This weekend in Detroit with JB84:

Saturday:
Founder's Centennial IPA (bottle)
Founder's Porter (bottle)
Founder's Breakfast Stout (bottle)
Avery Maharajah DIPA
Jolly Pumpkin Fuego del Otono (bottle @ Grand Trunk Pub)
B. Nektar Chazzano Ethiopian Harrar Mead (sample @ Grand Trunk)
Shorts Huma-Lupa-Licious (draft @ Grand Trunk)
New Holland The Poet (draft @ Grand Trunk)
Arcadia Sky High Rye (sample @ Grand Trunk)
New Holland Dragon's Milk 08 (bottle @ Grand Trunk)
Stone Double Bastard (Bottle)
Founder's Harvest Ale (bottle)
Bear Republic Pete Brown Tribute Ale (bottle)

Sunday:
Bell's Two Hearted Ale (6er while Tailgating before the Lions game)
Mikkeller Nelson Sauvin IPA
Founder's Breakfast Stout (draft @ Slow's)
Goose Island Pepe Nero (draft @ Slow's)
Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (bottle @ Slow's)
Bell's Best Brown (cask @ Slow's)
Odd Side Citra Pale Ale (draft @ Slow's)
Arcadia Hop Rocket (bottle, drain pour)
Moylan's Chelsea Moylan's Porter
Avery Out of Bounds Stout
Avery Karma
Founder's Centennial IPA

It was a good weekend. And the Lions won!!!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Surly Wet - Ultra Fresh Hops Beer

Major thanks to Adil for hooking me up with this outrageously flavourful IPA.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

boney wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Lagunitas Our Own Baverian-Style Doppel Weizen - huge banana & sweet malt aroma, and this carries on in to the taste. The alcohol is well hidden!
Gonna crack that one open tonight!
What did you think of the Doppel Weizen, Jay? Think I'm gonna pick some more of these up before they disappear.

Streets

Post by Streets »

A couple bartowlers popped by my place on Sunday night and we split a Grand Teton Black Cauldron Imperial Stout.

http://www.grandtetonbrewing.com/BCIS.html

And I'm hoping to get a few people together soon to help me finish off the DIPA bombers while they're still relatively fresh!

jprime

Post by jprime »

Count me in on that!!!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Lost Abbey Lost & Found. A good enough beer but definitely my least favouirte of all of the Lost Abbey and Port offerings I have tried.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Founder's Centennial IPA
Founder's Porter

Both are just incredible. I know hop flavours start diminishing after 23 hours, so I do believe I need to try a bottle fresher than one that is 2 months old :lol:

By the way, what ever happened to that Founder's to the LCBO rumour???

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Church Key Grains of Wrath DIPA at The Judge - uhh what? talk about an unexpected find
Mad Tom at The Ship
Arkell Best Bitter on cask back at the Judge

Eyeing a can of Big Dog Porter but I'll probably just go play Skyrim until I pass out. Class act all the way!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Torontoblue wrote:
boney wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Lagunitas Our Own Baverian-Style Doppel Weizen - huge banana & sweet malt aroma, and this carries on in to the taste. The alcohol is well hidden!
Gonna crack that one open tonight!
What did you think of the Doppel Weizen, Jay? Think I'm gonna pick some more of these up before they disappear.
Very nice indeed. I found it hard to classify stylistically. Not quite as rich and malty as some of the weizen-bock's I've had, but definitely bursting with bananna-y esters. The subtle spicey-citrussy hop characrer definitely balances the malt out well and makes it a really interesting beer. It actually reminded me quite a bit of the 2010 LTM Imperal Weizen. I've got an extra bottle that'll probalby get cracked open next weekend for a beer tasting I'm hosting, but I should pick up some more as well. Great stuff.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Kish84 wrote:By the way, what ever happened to that Founder's to the LCBO rumour???
i asked 'em on twitter at the time it surfaced and they said they didn't know anything about it... so either their twitter person isn't in the know or it ain't happening... still, one can dream...

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Peche. Delicious as always.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

celebrator...mmmmalty...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Cale wrote:Church Key Grains of Wrath DIPA at The Judge - uhh what? talk about an unexpected find
Absolutely - Had this a while ago...sometimes Church Key hits it out of the park.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

grub wrote:i asked 'em on twitter at the time it surfaced and they said they didn't know anything about it... so either their twitter person isn't in the know or it ain't happening... still, one can dream...
I suppose from here, Port Huron isn't too much further than Buffalo, but unless I go down to Detroit, Buffalo seems to be more fun.

Today while watching football

Grand River Galt Knife Old Style
Grand River Russian Gun - I'm liking it, quite the bitter kick to it right now. I think it'll be excellent once it rounds out.
Muskoka Mad Tom
DDC Corne Du Diable
Flying Monkey's SmashBomb

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

Last night
Trafalgar india ink that a friend brought over. Not infected but pretty thin and not much going on.

Raging bitch - still my favourite belgian ipa

Dark Horse scotty karate. Had this on tap in Detroit and bought some to bring home. I don't know if they use smoked malts in it or what, but I really like smoky flavour in this beer. It hides the alcohol very well as the have it listed in the high nines and you dont get any of that drinking it. Should of bought more than just a four pack.