Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

LondonBeer wrote:Dark Horse scotty karate. Had this on tap in Detroit and bought some to bring home. I don't know if they use smoked malts in it or what, but I really like smoky flavour in this beer. It hides the alcohol very well as the have it listed in the high nines and you dont get any of that drinking it. Should of bought more than just a four pack.
My favorite scotch ale of all time. Droooool.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

boney wrote:
LondonBeer wrote:Dark Horse scotty karate. Had this on tap in Detroit and bought some to bring home. I don't know if they use smoked malts in it or what, but I really like smoky flavour in this beer. It hides the alcohol very well as the have it listed in the high nines and you dont get any of that drinking it. Should of bought more than just a four pack.
My favorite scotch ale of all time. Droooool.
no argument here :)

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

A Fuller`s XX Strong and now a DDC Equinoxe Du Printemps from last year, tasting good, with a touch of maple left.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Corne du diable....Once it hits your lips, it's so good!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Steamwhistle and Canadian. Felt like I was drinking bread and water, respectively. Bleh.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

icemachine wrote:Corne du diable....Once it hits your lips, it's so good!
"We're going streaking!"

-Alley Kat Blue Dragon Double IPA. Liked the Red Dragon with Simcoe, but the Blue Dragon with Columbus is simply awesome. Damn this shit is drinkable.
-Lakefront Eastside Dark. A very respectable Dunkel.
-Bruton Lilith. Gotta love it when random beer shows up at your local that you had no clue was coming in.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

boney wrote:Alley Kat Blue Dragon Double IPA. Liked the Red Dragon with Simcoe, but the Blue Dragon with Columbus is simply awesome. Damn this shit is drinkable.
I have been resisting the urge to buy these this weekend... I haven't been at all impressed with anything from Alley Kat lately. Yet I still feel myself losing control and making a purchase I know will likely dissapoint me. We shall see how things go at Zyn/Kensington today...

Last couple days have tried:

Phillips Hoperation Tripel Cross Belgian IPA - pretty good, though the phenolic spice is overdone

Cannery Naramata Nut Brown - pretty decent brown ale

Wild Rose Cherry Porter (draft) - solid, but not spectacular, this one has always had a subtle cherry flavour, just not bold enough for 6.5%

Howe Sound Rail Ale Nut Brown (draft) - spectacular brown ale, one of my wife's favourites.

Garrison Imperial IPA - allright on its own I guess, its weaknesses really shine through in side by side tastings

Fernie Sap Sucker Maple Porter - best maple beer I have come across, great base beer, maple character is there without being syrupy/sweet

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the week at C'est What?, barVolo, Smokeless Joe, and The Only Cafe:

Sawdust City Golden Beach Pale Wheat (draught)
Black Oak Nutcracker Porter (draught)
Granite Hopping Mad (cask)
Dieu du Ciel! 6ième Soir (bottle)
House Ales Johnny Boy DIPA (cask)
Durham Black Katt Stout (draught)
Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale (draught)
Rogue Northwestern Ale (bottle)
Muskoka Mad Tom IPA (draught)

Last night at Gambrinus Bistro & Cafe:

Durham Hop Addict (draught)
Neustadt Springs Double Fuggled (cask)
Flying Monkeys Smash Bomb IPA (draught)
Mill Street Cobblestone Stout (draught)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

markaberrant wrote:
boney wrote:Alley Kat Blue Dragon Double IPA. Liked the Red Dragon with Simcoe, but the Blue Dragon with Columbus is simply awesome. Damn this shit is drinkable.
I have been resisting the urge to buy these this weekend... I haven't been at all impressed with anything from Alley Kat lately. Yet I still feel myself losing control and making a purchase I know will likely dissapoint me. We shall see how things go at Zyn/Kensington today...
You're right about Full Moon. I had some recently and it's a shadow of what is used to be. The Fresh Hop Full Moon's I've had have been buttery messes as well, but the Dragon beers and even the Crigner are drinking very, very well. I always look forward to Olde Deuteronomy, so I'm keeing my fingers crossed.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

boney wrote: You're right about Full Moon. I had some recently and it's a shadow of what is used to be. The Fresh Hop Full Moon's I've had have been buttery messes as well, but the Dragon beers and even the Crigner are drinking very, very well. I always look forward to Olde Deuteronomy, so I'm keeing my fingers crossed.
I caved in and bought 1 Blue Dragon and 2 2011 Olde Deuteronmy (despite never liking any of the vintages of this beer, I always grab some due to the reasonable price, I think the oldest I have tried was 00 or 01).

Should have bought some Tree Vertical Winter at Willow Park, but figured I would find it somewhere else. Doh!

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

DFH raison d'etre. Kind of boring.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Last night at C'est What:

GL Devil made me dry-hop it cask
Nutcracker Porter

(Both nice) And some of my wife's Sawdust Weiss...also pretty great.

Tonight: My first Russian Gun of the season...

I just had something sweet so my pallet's probably wonky, but there seems to be more bitterness this year...the booziness is definately toned down, but I can't seem to find that molasses flavour from the past.

Might need a couple weeks to settle down...But like I said, just ate something sweet, so it might be me...Glad I picked up a couple more to try.

Either way, always a favourite Rob...my first ever RIS, and still one of my favs.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

At the Ship:
Muskoka Mad Tom
Mill St Cobblestone

At home:
Nutcracker Porter :)

Also stopped by Nickel Brook on my way home from Black Oak. I was surprised by the number of beers available. Easily at least a dozen it seemed. Grabbed a bunch of the Imperial Stout, and a six each of Headstock IPA and this years Cuvee. I think I will go back for some of the Marzen though as I remember really loving that stuff. No idea why I don't go there more often to begin with - it's so close.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Muskoka Harvest - lots of carmel, lots of hops, but it has that muddled/dirty sort of hop taste that I dislike in many commercial ales (as opposed to bright/fresh hop flavours). Garrison Imperial IPA is a great example of what I am referring to.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

GR Russian Gun: excellent, will pick up a couple more of these to have around the "cellar" (aka bookshelf in the other room)
Muskoka Double Choc Cranberry Stout: too expensive to purchase more of, but good
Fuller's Old Winter Ale: too malty for my tastes, will not buy again