Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

what to expect from world wide stout...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

what to expect from world wide stout...

Post by JeffPorter »

I have my first bottle from last year still aging...I've never tried it before...

What can I expect from it?

Should I give it another year or just drink it? I'm tempted by it everyday and am waiting for a cold an snowy night...

It'd be neat to hear what people's thoughts of this beer are before I drink it.
Last edited by JeffPorter on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Uh, what beer might this be?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Ah, Shoot - not world class stout....world wide stout...DFH...sorry...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

You should expect awesomeness.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:You should expect awesomeness.
I have a 3 year old bottle - reviews range from awesome to horrible - I'm not sure when or if I'll want to crack it open.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

pen ink, dark fruit and intoxication

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

WWS is incredibly underwhelming in my opinion.

I have always had aged bottles of it, typically in the 3-5 year range. It's just boring. And thin too. I don't see it having any aging potential, even though many claim it is fantastic. Sure, it will probably hold up, but I just don't see any additional flavour development. I feel the same way about Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - it is fine and all, but it just isn't that great of a beer.

Last time I shared a bottle was just under a year ago. Did a 3-way tasting with WWS (18%), Avery Mephistopholes (17%) and my homebrewed 18% stout. WWS came in last by a long, long ways.

I am planning another BIG stout tasting (I think the minimum will be 12%), WWS will likely be part of it, I am curious to see how things will shake out.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

markaberrant wrote:WWS is incredibly underwhelming in my opinion.

I have always had aged bottles of it, typically in the 3-5 year range. It's just boring. And thin too. I don't see it having any aging potential, even though many claim it is fantastic. Sure, it will probably hold up, but I just don't see any additional flavour development. I feel the same way about Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - it is fine and all, but it just isn't that great of a beer.

Last time I shared a bottle was just under a year ago. Did a 3-way tasting with WWS (18%), Avery Mephistopholes (17%) and my homebrewed 18% stout. WWS came in last by a long, long ways.

I am planning another BIG stout tasting (I think the minimum will be 12%), WWS will likely be part of it, I am curious to see how things will shake out.
How does the Mephistopholes age? I was considering buying a few bottles to put away...

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:How does the Mephistopholes age? I was considering buying a few bottles to put away...
It ages quite well, I wouldn't consider drinking one without 2 years of age on it. It isn't my favourite beer of all time, but I would not hesitate to buy a few.

My favourite from the Avery Demon series is the Samael oak aged strong english ale. Incredible malt focused beer with a complex oak character. Love it!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

JeffPorter wrote:I have my first bottle from last year still aging...I've never tried it before...

What can I expect from it?
You can get a rough approximation by buying cheap port and dropping in a shot of smirnoff.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Do not operate any heavy machinery afterwards. It comes with an awesome punch.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

matt7215 wrote:pen ink, dark fruit and intoxication
+1! Love the recap!

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

It looks, feels, smells, and tastes exactly like drinking Minwax Dark Walnut stain :)

Chase it with a Sam Adams Triple Bock....

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

iguenard wrote:
matt7215 wrote:pen ink, dark fruit and intoxication
+1! Love the recap!
See, this review I like because it's taking the beer for what it IS. I'm suspicious of slag reviews (usually negating something entirely for being different than expected) that mean exactly BS to ME when I do finally try the beer (as I did when I tried the often-slagged DFH 120 minute, aged 1.5 years, and shared with 2 random friends at beerbistro where we all freaking loved it.)

The slagfest is to be ignored, most of the time if I keep an open mind with beer. Just my personal view, and always win for me.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

FWIW - I had it last night. At first it surprised me because I actually thought it would be a bit darker. I guess I just thought it would put out the lights in my room.

It smelled of well, cleaning solution - and I don't mean that in a bad way...but at first I wasn't sure!

Half way through (it took me about an hour and a half to drink it) I really started liking it a lot and wished I had more.

The dark fruits WERE incredible. Very port-like - just awesome. It made me wish I made an effort to get a bottle of utopias. Too complex for a noob like me to justify. I'll have to go across and find more.

Definitely worth the 8 bucks for the bottle!