Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

6 of us got together for a little Tuesday night tasting:

Commercial
Southern Tier IPA - fine, I guess
Southern Tier 2XIPA - fine, I guess
Granville Island Fresh Hop ESB - reasonably decent
Granville Island Imperial Chocolate Stout - tastes EXACTLY like chocolate milk, fortunately isn't as thick or sweet
Jolly Pumpkin Noel de Calablaza - incredible
New Belgium Lips of Faith Kick (pumpkin and cranberry) - incredible
Avery Anniversary Eighteen (dry-hopped rye saison) - kinda lame

in between commercial and homebrew
Sierra Nevada Golden Ticket Baltic Porter (aged at home on Cantillon dregs) - fantastic
Bushwakker Imperial Stout (fermented at home with Rochefort yeast, aged on toasted coconut) - fantastic

Homebrew
Falconer's Flight IPA - decent
American Brown - decent
robust porter - just ok
Cherry Mead - unbelievably good

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

LondonBeer wrote:Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela. Not what i expected at all. More like a sour than a pumpkin beer. Didn't like it at all. Either that or my bottle was bad.
Pretty much all of their beers are sour/funky... I do find it funny that they don't really mention this on the bottles.

LondonBeer

Post by LondonBeer »

markaberrant wrote:
LondonBeer wrote:Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela. Not what i expected at all. More like a sour than a pumpkin beer. Didn't like it at all. Either that or my bottle was bad.
Pretty much all of their beers are sour/funky... I do find it funny that they don't really mention this on the bottles.
Thanks, i had a bam noire tonight and when opened it foamed all over the place. tasted like trafalgar so drain poured it. Doesn't give me much confidence to try their other stuff

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Jolly Pumpkin is an acquired taste. If you're not a fan of saisons and sours, you probably won't care for their beer. Reminds me, I gotta grab some more La Roja soon.

Oh, Muskoka Chocolate Cranberry Stout for me when I get home tonight.

jibblypop

Post by jibblypop »

Three cans of Crazy Canuck to help get me through my fever.

I was going to buy Muskoka Double Chocolate Cranberry but it's just not a good value at the price even though I really like it.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Some lovely Jolly Pumpkin's tonight...

Maracaibo Especiale & Luciernega. Delicious. Though I think they're getting a little less sour/funky over the years.

Also:

Anchor Our Christmas Ale (magnum)
De Proef Van Twee
Great Lakes Christmas
Klein Duimpje Imperial Russian Stout

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

LondonBeer wrote:
Thanks, i had a bam noire tonight and when opened it foamed all over the place. tasted like trafalgar so drain poured it. Doesn't give me much confidence to try their other stuff
They are intentionally sour/funky, not unintentional like Trafalgar. Jolly Pumpkin isn't for everyone, but I am a big fan.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

LondonBeer wrote: Thanks, i had a bam noire tonight and when opened it foamed all over the place. tasted like trafalgar so drain poured it. Doesn't give me much confidence to try their other stuff
LOL. My vote for quote of the year!

(I'm not a fan of sours either).

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

An "old" Central City, Red Racer IPA.

Still hoppy. Still great.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

LondonBeer wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
please dont buy any more Jolly Pumpkin

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

LondonBeer wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
That post made me cry a llittle bit on the inside.

gordmit

Post by gordmit »

Last night I started with GLB Devils Pale, followed by ML Mad Tom, followed by FM Netherworld. Having quenched my hop thirst...switched to my new discount standby, Cool Blonde Lager. Puttered around the house for a bit, and sat down with my last Cool of the evening and was enjoying it sooooo much, wondering where all the hops was coming from...then remebered that I had made an executive decision at the beer fridge -decided to bail on the Blonde and crack another Tom. Got a LCBO gift card from my EEs today, I'm racing out to grab some FM Smash Bomb.
Happy Holidays!!!
Gord

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Firestone Walker Double Jack

Streets

Post by Streets »

Split a bottle of New Holland Dragon's Milk.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Have a couple friends over so we followed the Double Jack with a year old bottle of 2010 Bell's Third Coast Old Ale. Near-phenominal with a year of age on it. Wondering if I want to open the other 2 I have in the cellar over the holiday or leave them for another year.