Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Bistro now has De Struise!

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Beer Bistro now has De Struise!

Post by atomeyes »

Part of me is superexcited, part of me is super pissed (yes, talking to you, Roland&russel, for refusing to accomodate my De Struise case order requests for the past 6 months).

beer Bistro just tweeted that they have some De Struisse in stock.

bottles include: Westoek X, Outblack, Kate the Great, Roste Jeanne. I might be wrong, but Kate the Great's a collaboration with another brewery, methinks.

anyways, likely going to hit it this weekend.

more on De Struise beer here
Last edited by atomeyes on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soods

Post by Soods »

atomeyes wrote:(yes, talking to you, Roland&russel, for refusing to accomodate my De Struise case order requests for the past 6 months)
Ah...so it's not just me!! :D

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

they don't return calls,they don't deal with emails.
they once said to me that they'll do a Struise group order on here.

R&R: i am buying 1-2 cases for personal consumption, not 1-2 bottles. PLEASE let me give you my money!

anyways, my wife and I split 2 bottles (see link for photo):

http://c0014144.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_a822489

Outblack was too medicinal for our liking. smelled like camphor and had a herbal taste. we let it warm up, swirled it REAL GOOD but nope, not loveable.

the other beer is a nice Flemish sour with a small hoppy bitter kick at the end. really enjoyable. smelled like kool-aid, tasted like a slightly sweet sour.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Strange, R&R is usually very quick on responses. Never had any communication issues over the last five years I've dealt with them. On that note, Earthmonk and Struiselensis please!! Also will sell soul for some Dirty Horse.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i sent them an email about the XH and got nothing back

i done with the private order thing

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

nickelass wrote:Strange, R&R is usually very quick on responses. Never had any communication issues over the last five years I've dealt with them. On that note, Earthmonk and Struiselensis please!! Also will sell soul for some Dirty Horse.
Roland and Russel have an account on here, so it would be great if they came to their own defense.
but my personal experience?
-contacted them about De Struise. they said a future order is pending and they'd contact me.
-i asked the De Struise people about Toronto orders and they made it seem like one is in the works
-contacted R&R again a few months later. no reply.
-contacted them again a month later. no reply.
-lots of time passes. i get an account on here for the lone reason to do group ordering. R&R posted about another beer, i send them a PM about Struise and they say "look out for a future group order". nothing transpires.
-months pass. Struise was supposed to do something for Toronto Beer Week, so i contact R&R. talk to someone on the phone who basically said no, we won't let you order a few cases, but we'll post an order on Bar Towel and you can order from there. puzzling, but whatever.
-i go to Coco Rogue. find out they're getting Struise beer in very shortly. strange.
-i look at Bar Towel for private orders and see nothing.
-i contact Struise again and i don't hear back

this is all since July 2010.

so, instead, i get my parents to buy me Pannepot when they go to Calgary, and I buy some Tzeejus when I go to Buffalo. This is all money i want to give to Rolland and Russel, but they either aren't interested or do an ungreat job in communicating order limitations.

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Was there this weekend got to try the westhoek, roste jeanne, outblack and the fantastic earthmonk!

Liverdie

Post by Liverdie »

atomeyes wrote:they don't return calls,they don't deal with emails.

R&R: i am buying 1-2 cases for personal consumption, not 1-2 bottles. PLEASE let me give you my money!

Outblack was too medicinal for our liking. smelled like camphor and had a herbal taste. we let it warm up, swirled it REAL GOOD but nope, not loveable.

the other beer is a nice Flemish sour with a small hoppy bitter kick at the end. really enjoyable. smelled like kool-aid, tasted like a slightly sweet sour.
Now that sounds like a drink that would my cup of tea as it were...I mean the Flemish, hoppy sour one...can't see the label, what's it called? Don't tell me if I ordered some, you'd just tell me to get in line, yah? :D
Live or Die by Good Beer

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Liverdie wrote:
atomeyes wrote:they don't return calls,they don't deal with emails.

Now that sounds like a drink that would my cup of tea as it were...I mean the Flemish, hoppy sour one...can't see the label, what's it called? Don't tell me if I ordered some, you'd just tell me to get in line, yah? :D
Earthmonk.
its a collaboration brew.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:-lots of time passes. i get an account on here for the lone reason to do group ordering. R&R posted about another beer, i send them a PM about Struise and they say "look out for a future group order". nothing transpires.
I hate to be the one to say they don't need to defend themselves.

Whenever Roland & Russell are able to do an order here they will TELL us. Until then I don't think we can knock them for serving the 'big guys' first (bars that purchase multiple cases of several R&R products.) There's some loyalty pressure involved I am sure.

It's not really because we are worth less per sale and they take our infrequent purchases for granted. It's more that sales to bars make it possible for R&R to carry some things in the first place so that we little guys can occasionally jump on with our tiny purchases.

So yes - we're put to the back of the line sometimes, I'm sure that's the unspoken policy of all importers when it comes to the crunch with limited-supply beers - bars come first. Stocks of Rochefort or whatever then become mysteriously 'back-ordered' just when we thought we could buy some.

And nobody chafes at paying 300-600% markup in TO bars more than I do, so I sympathize with you. Second best way to avoid that - shop in Buffalo, don't spend your money here at all.
In Beerum Veritas

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Had the Earthmonk this afternoon and absolutely loved it!