Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2009 Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Not really as Hop Back is the name of the brewery and not the beer.
Yes, I know, thank you. But hop crazed North Americans chase hops like crack - and like an addict, they see the word "hop" anywhere on a beer label, their eyes glaze over, drool starts, and then the beer is bought and chugged in the hopes of getting their fix.

At least, that is the way it is with me...

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

tupalev wrote:
Not really as Hop Back is the name of the brewery and not the beer.
Yes, I know, thank you. But hop crazed North Americans chase hops like crack - and like an addict, they see the word "hop" anywhere on a beer label, their eyes glaze over, drool starts, and then the beer is bought and chugged in the hopes of getting their fix.
There's no excuse for laziness and a lack of reading ability :P

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Homonym alert: it's spelled palate. You shove an actual palettte in your mouth, the beer won't taste like anything but oil paint.
Torontoblue wrote:
robinvboyer wrote:Had some of the Hopback Summer Lightning this weekend. Wow, call me disappointed!! This wasn't very good, i was expecting MUCH more hops, and a more flavorful ale, really it was quite boring. The Harviestoun, and even the Deuchars IPA are MUCH hoppier, and much better.
You're comparing different styles of beer here. The Summer Lightning is the original Golden Ale and is not meant to be bitter. It's a typical subtle, easy drinking English Golden Ale, which hides it's 5% alc very well.
Well said blue. I thought it was a pretty fantastic session beer, which means I should have bought several and not just one. Nicely made ale!
In Beerum Veritas

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We were the agents some 4 or 5 years ago when Summer Lightning last appeared...it didn't do well and the LCBO subsequently rejected a number of offerrings from Hopback so the relationship just ended. Wish the new agent, whoever they are, best of luck as Hopback beers are a tough sell in this market.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Good God! Where is the Floris Ninkelberry?! :lol:

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

JesseM wrote:Good God! Where is the Floris Ninkelberry?! :lol:
They had it at Manulife today. I bought two.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Hopback is much better than average rated brewer based on UK standards
but yeh, people can't taste or appreciate it after a double imperial whatever

carguy

Post by carguy »

So with summer almost behind us, and a good fall release looming ahead, any last thoughts on this summer release? I tried them all, and I thought it was pretty weak, with the exception of the Deuchars IPA, which has become my session beer for the summer (alternating between Grand River Plowmans). I found it very drinkable, reasonably priced and readily avaliable. In my mind, the one bright spot in the entire release. I wouldn't mind seeing that stay on. They could drop Estrella Damm to make room for it. It's just wasting fridge space.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

carguy wrote:So with summer almost behind us, and a good fall release looming ahead, any last thoughts on this summer release? I tried them all, and I thought it was pretty weak, with the exception of the Deuchars IPA, which has become my session beer for the summer (alternating between Grand River Plowmans). I found it very drinkable, reasonably priced and readily avaliable. In my mind, the one bright spot in the entire release. I wouldn't mind seeing that stay on. They could drop Estrella Damm to make room for it. It's just wasting fridge space.
I thought the Het Anker Margriet was amazing.

probstk

Post by probstk »

JesseMcG wrote:
carguy wrote:So with summer almost behind us, and a good fall release looming ahead, any last thoughts on this summer release? I tried them all, and I thought it was pretty weak, with the exception of the Deuchars IPA, which has become my session beer for the summer (alternating between Grand River Plowmans). I found it very drinkable, reasonably priced and readily avaliable. In my mind, the one bright spot in the entire release. I wouldn't mind seeing that stay on. They could drop Estrella Damm to make room for it. It's just wasting fridge space.
I thought the Het Anker Margriet was amazing.
Christoffel Bier is great. I could drink it all the time.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

[quote=Christoffel Bier is great. I could drink it all the time.[/quote]

I also really enjoyed that one.... those were my two favorites from this release.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I finally got around to trying the ST Raspberry.. plenty of smell but I found the taste and texture surprisingly light. Refreshing even.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

The Floris Ninkelberry finally showed up recently in KW and it has literally been flying off the shelves. Man, that brewery must make like, hundreds of dollars a year. What a brilliant inclusion by the LCBO masterminds.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I feel as if this thread should be un-sticky'ed. What with all the recent sticky threads, this board could use less of them, things sure are getting sticky around here, I mean, this is what I call one sticky situation, sometimes I have to wash my hands after posting it's so sticky, if things get any stickier around here, we'll have to start issuing actual Bar Towels........well I could keep going, I think you get the idea.

Sticky.