Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

grub wrote: I'm going to put a post in the trading forum tonight with a few bottles that I'm looking for...
I will be sure to check your post :)

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Just FYI. The Winter is Coming RIS was released in the GLB shop this afternoon. A whole full shelf of them with only one gone when I was out there at around 4 this afternoon.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
grub wrote: I'm going to put a post in the trading forum tonight with a few bottles that I'm looking for...
I will be sure to check your post :)
post in the trading forum
groulxsome wrote:Just FYI. The Winter is Coming RIS was released in the GLB shop this afternoon. A whole full shelf of them with only one gone when I was out there at around 4 this afternoon.
are the limiting sales? I know they usually do 1/person for the wacky stuff, so figured that would apply here. combined with the $20 price tag, I suspect it'll move slow, but with limited numbers it's not likely to last very long anyway.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

grub wrote:are the limiting sales? I know they usually do 1/person for the wacky stuff, so figured that would apply here. combined with the $20 price tag, I suspect it'll move slow, but with limited numbers it's not likely to last very long anyway.
I didn't ask if it was limited. With the price I could only really justify one, plus, when there are only 48 bottles I didn't want to go bogarting up all the beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Can't wait for the 30 dollar "Winter Doesn't Mean A White Christmas" edition. It will be in a 750ml with a cork, bottle-conditioned so I'm very excited.

Thanks for the heads up!
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

While I get that $20 is not cheap, but its blows my mind that people want wale caliber beers at discount prices. Good beer costs money, thats just the way it goes.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Maine Brewing Company - Another One IPA thanks to rejtable. Lots of hops and a fantastic beer worth seeking out.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Belgian wrote:^ Can't wait for the 30 dollar "Winter Doesn't Mean A White Christmas" edition. It will be in a 750ml with a cork, bottle-conditioned so I'm very excited.

Thanks for the heads up!
haha, not gonna happen. aside from the 20L that's in a keg for the indie event, the rest is all already in 650ml capped bottles with the indicated label :P

I'm not down for the "add $10 just for a fancy package" camp, which is 50% of the reason I stopped buying mill street's barleywine when it went into the stupid ceramic bottles at 3x the cost (the other 50% being that the recipe was better before the swap too).

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

PeenSteen wrote:While I get that $20 is not cheap, but its blows my mind that people want wale caliber beers at discount prices. Good beer costs money, thats just the way it goes.
yep, there's plenty of beer that's more expensive, and we did feel that with the work and number of people involved pricing it just above the usual "fancy GLB stuff" seemed about right. Then again, it's right in line with the price of Dirtbag, so who knows...

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

grub wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:While I get that $20 is not cheap, but its blows my mind that people want wale caliber beers at discount prices. Good beer costs money, thats just the way it goes.
yep, there's plenty of beer that's more expensive, and we did feel that with the work and number of people involved pricing it just above the usual "fancy GLB stuff" seemed about right. Then again, it's right in line with the price of Dirtbag, so who knows...
What are the 3 other homebrew clubs involved?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

ercousin wrote:What are the 3 other homebrew clubs involved?
the full list of brewers was Swansea Homebrew Club, Biergotter Homebrew Club, Indie Alehouse, Siobahn Mcpherson, and Mac Tíre Rígh.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Had and enjoyed a Junction Conductor's Ale for the first time.

Also a Kilannan Alt Beer

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

grub wrote:
Belgian wrote:^ Can't wait for the 30 dollar "Winter Doesn't Mean A White Christmas" edition. It will be in a 750ml with a cork, bottle-conditioned so I'm very excited.

Thanks for the heads up!
haha, not gonna happen. aside from the 20L that's in a keg for the indie event, the rest is all already in 650ml capped bottles with the indicated label :P

I'm not down for the "add $10 just for a fancy package" camp, which is 50% of the reason I stopped buying mill street's barleywine when it went into the stupid ceramic bottles at 3x the cost (the other 50% being that the recipe was better before the swap too).
At least the ceramic bottles have a potential use after you drink the beer that's in them. For a special beer that I plan on aging, I don't mind that so much. I re-use the bottles and they make a nice memento. I'll take them over cardboard boxes or bottles wrapped in tissue paper or whatever any day.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

squeaky wrote:At least the ceramic bottles have a potential use after you drink the beer that's in them. For a special beer that I plan on aging, I don't mind that so much. I re-use the bottles and they make a nice memento. I'll take them over cardboard boxes or bottles wrapped in tissue paper or whatever any day.
especially for aging, I'd much rather have a standard bottle over a swingtop any day. and back when they did bottle the bw, it was in their then-signature stubbys, which I hold near and dear. I still have a small stash of 'em that I use for homebrew.

but yeah, boxes and tissue and all that is a bit much IMHO. focus more on what's in the bottle. it may look cool, but i'd rather not pay extra for something to look cool (and likewise, don't want to see good brewers lose profits just to add on the extra schtick).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

grub wrote:... with the work and number of people involved pricing it just above the usual "fancy GLB stuff" seemed about right. Then again, it's right in line with the price of Dirtbag, so who knows...
I get that, some of these small bottlings are far more virtue of craft than profit. The verdict is do I like this, alright then I'll drink it.
In Beerum Veritas