Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

A Magical Blend Emerges

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

....or, you know, everyone could simply just let everyone else just do their own thing.

First the internet police. Now the enjoyment police. Jesus Christ.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

When you "do your own thing" and post on the internet what is the goal? To get feedback? Have conversation?

I think mixing beers is odd and unnecessary. I don't try to save lesser beers with another beer. And if a beer is good why would I risk that by mixing with another?
To each his own.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

FEUO wrote:When you "do your own thing" and post on the internet what is the goal? To get feedback? Have conversation?

I think mixing beers is odd and unnecessary. I don't try to save lesser beers with another beer. And if a beer is good why would I risk that by mixing with another?
To each his own.
Sure, to get feedback, have conversations, exchange ideas and simply "Hey this is good! Try this!"

I don't blend very often myself but have done so from time to time. *shrug* Why not? Maybe you discover something tasty.

Don't know what all the negativity is about.
lister

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

boney wrote:....or, you know, everyone could simply just let everyone else just do their own thing.
First the internet police. Now the enjoyment police. Jesus Christ.
Indeed.

FEUO wrote:When you "do your own thing" and post on the internet what is the goal? To get feedback? Have conversation?
To each his own.
I don't recall Gary ever saying mixing beers is necessary. I think he just has fun with it. What's wrong with that? Whether it's 'odd' or not is a personal opinion. As you say, to each his own.

lister wrote:Don't know what all the negativity is about.
Neither do I.

Continue to post your mixing experiences Gary, makes for interesting reading even though it's not something I'm going to pursue.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote:Gary I thought of you on the weekend. I was in LA and went to a sour beer tasting where you were encouraged to blend some of the variants to make a new one. It was pretty fun, and tasty!
I was at an open bar birthday party for a Ratebeerian in London England a few years back and was blending De Molen and Drie Fonteinen on draft later in the evening... It was pretty amazing.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Thanks, Jordan and others who don't see what the big issue is. If anyone doesn't like blending beers at home, then of course, don't do it! I do it because I get great results, it is historically consistent (as it happens), and it's fun.

I actually first saw it done by brewers at festivals, initially with their own beers and later blending with others. That is where I got the idea..

It is also economical as I have very few drain pours this way.

By the way, based on my knowledge of beer history, beers were blended in the pub to get a balanced palate between different styles of beer, or to average the strength, it had nothing to do with inconsistency or bad brewing. I doubt, as well, beers then were much less consistent than they are now. A number of statements in 1700's brewing literature let alone 1800's attest to the importance of a consistent taste and one expected by the customers. That is the origin of "returns", beers sent back to the brewery because sour or "grey" or otherwise faulty.

The deli sandwich argument can be turned on its head, if you have ever heard of a club roll...

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

No offense to anyone but I think questioning beer blending is stupid because you can produce a result that's greater than the sum of its parts
Last edited by Belgian on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This sub-forum is clearly marked "Random Talk" and our overall subject is "Beer". So everyone is free to talk about what they want and let's keep the judgement to a minimum. Thanks Gary as always for sharing your thoughts & findings.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I've got to admit, with Gary's taste and experience, I've kinda wondered why he hasn't homebrewed (though I think he has commented before).

Even just 1 gallon batches using extract and grain has endless possibilities!

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Gary is blending before its cool. Soon blendersexuals will replace lumbersexuals, who are the next metrosexuals, and on that day Gary will laugh you all down.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Thanks, first, to our host Cass, without whom none of us would be able to discuss and indulge these or any other thoughts and ideas.

Derek, I think I would enjoy brewing, but it's just something I've never done. I might in the future and you can be sure if I did, I'd make:

1) A malty-tasting pumpkin porter with a clear edge to a sweet porter taste, i.e., the spice understated;

2) an English pale ale with all-Maris Otter malt and lots of Goldings in the aroma and Fuggles for bitterness underneath;

3) … can't think of anything else (just kidding. Maybe a sticke beer such as I once tasted from Bamberg in a wooden keg flown over for a special tasting. Or a good Black IPA, a style I like when the American hops are understated).

However, in the absence of brewing, blending permits me to "make" many beers that meet my specific taste. Tonight, it was 50/50 Newcastle Brown Ale and Wellington Imperial Stout. This produced a delicious 6.5% "porter" which any of you, IMHO, would greatly enjoy. It might have been 3:2 the Wellington to the Newcastle, small differences in the ratio can make the difference between a good and a perfect taste. Last night, the first half of the Wellington was blended with a Brickworks dry cider to make a superb Black Velvet. I can't claim any credit for the Black Velvet of course, it is as old as the hills.

The truth is, much as I admire the skill with which each of these beverages is made, I find it difficult sometimes to drink a full 16 ounces of them, even over two nights; hence blending to get a taste I really like. But I don't always do it and not with all beers certainly, it just depends on the moment and what I have in the fridge.

Gary
Last edited by G.M. Gillman on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gary Gillman

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Ian and others who are interested in this, thanks for your comments. I am not trying to prove anything, I just wish to report my experience in this particular area FWIIW. For those not interested, that's fine (obviously).

Gary
Gary Gillman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:I've got to admit, with Gary's taste and experience, I've kinda wondered why he hasn't homebrewed (though I think he has commented before).

Even just 1 gallon batches using extract and grain has endless possibilities!
I guess not every sculptor has to mine his own Carrara marble?

I like the instant gratification you get with blending, whether you get a great or bleh result - no time investment, very little to buy and instant recipe adjustment using any number of pre-made beers. Talk about nano batch beer making. And most of the time blends are pretty good, even original brews that would not be so practical for just any brewery to make.

The one gallon brew batch idea is cool though, I got a kit in 2012 as a gift and never used it, eventually tossed out the grain.... Maybe I won't toss the whole kit away!
In Beerum Veritas

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I think I would enjoy brewing, but it's just something I've never done. I might in the future
Gary, I would very much encourage you to give brewing a shot, it's never been easier with the easy access to ingredients and knowledge we have in Toronto.

There are few things as satisfying as making your own beer from scratch. It's easier than you think and it will teach you more than you ever thought you could know about craft beer, it did for me. It's a skill that takes some patience and persistence to learn, but IMO it enhances your enjoyment of beer overall. If your first batch doesn't turn out, don't give up just learn from it. It takes time to make great beer, but it's worth it.

Check out http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html for free or buy the latest edition: I would suggest buying the latest because he has updated some things, but the online free version is a great way to get your feet wet. This book will teach you everything you need to know to progress from extract brewing (like making cake from a box) to brewing all grain beer (from scratch).

Check out the local community to ask your questions or check out the process in person at a club meeting:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GTA.Brews/ (Events and discussions happen here)
https://gtabrews.wordpress.com/

And the local shops for supplies:
http://torontobrewing.ca/
http://www.noblehop.com/

Cheers, Eric

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Belgian wrote:I got a kit in 2012 as a gift and never used it, eventually tossed out the grain.... Maybe I won't toss the whole kit away!
I would toss any ingredients that came with it. The hops are old now, and the yeast is probably not very viable any more.