Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dieu du Ciel Feature

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I tried Route Des Espices, or a version of it, several years ago at Mondial. That was intensely peppery. :o I found this bottled version nothing of the sort. The pepper was very light but noticeable and didn't have the same :o reaction as the first time. (I haven't had it since that time in Mondial.) The beer went very nicely with the roast beef for dinner.
lister

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Inventory Position

Inventory information for DERNIERE VOLONTE, LCBO Item # 181842, $ 3.25 in all cities.

The Quantity on Hand displayed is as of the Inventory Date indicated. Please contact the store to confirm quantity.

Results sorted by Quantity On Hand, Descending.

1. TORONTO-CENTRAL 2 COOPER STREET Sep 5, 2010 1617
QUEENS QUAY & YONGE (416)
864-6777

2. TORONTO-CENTRAL 10 SCRIVENER SQUARE Sep 5, 2010 1343
YONGE & SUMMERHILL (416)
922-0403

Ok, who hacked the LCBO website and put up these numbers. Just cause Hamilton didn't get any doesn't mean you have to be cruel.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I saw that earlier, definite WTF? Is there really that much DDC beer that those stores can have that sort of inventory and there still be enough to go around, or are the rest of us expected to ask for it to be shipped to our local stores, one case at a time until it is snapped up?

I hope someone from HMH reads this, as I haven't gotten any reply on twitter.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Toronto is the most important city in the world.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

getting reacquainted with DDC IPA....Like it a lot.
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Toronto is the most important city in the world.
I've heard this said a lot Len.......but only in TO. :wink:
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

... just want to say it's great having DDC Corne du Diable IPA again as something I can drink any day!

You can bring this puppy back any year you want to HMH (and the Aphroditieacque.)
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Route Des Épices

B / 3.55
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | drink: 3
rDev: -5.4%

Medium brown body with fiery red highlights. Tan foam laces a little bit but doesn't retain well. A faint rye bread aroma is trapped beneath intensely aromatic cracked peppercorn. Heavy peppercorn flavour withthe tangy rye really only coming through as it warms up. Smooth mouthfeel contrasts with the peppers tingling spiciness. I think I would have liked this a bit better if it had some of the weizen-like esters and phenol I caught in the Mill Street Schleimhammer Roggenbier. Perhaps the failure lies in my expectations, but for me, this is a good beer that could have been great.

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 09-18-2010 01:22:00

Milos

Post by Milos »

We have very limited quantities of draught:
Peche Mortel
Derniere Volonte
Rosee d'Hibiscus
Corne du Diable
So many beers and so little time!!

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Everything from this brewery is ridiculously good. This must be one of the best promotions the LCBO's ever done.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I really enjoyed my bottle of Route des Epices. I was pretty unsure of a peppery beer but I loved it. I only bought two bottles and my wife says the second is going to become gravy on the weekend. Although I am sad to lose my only other bottle of it, I think it is going to make a fantastic addition to a roast beef dinner!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

shintriad wrote:Everything from this brewery is ridiculously good. This must be one of the best promotions the LCBO's ever done.
I feel DDC is pretty outstanding. Consistent brewer, many distinct beers. So I give DDC the credit for the great release!

Their approach is so refreshing in our Province, and adds on to what the best of our own brewers do here.
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Belgian wrote:
shintriad wrote:Everything from this brewery is ridiculously good. This must be one of the best promotions the LCBO's ever done.
I feel DDC is pretty outstanding. Consistent brewer, many distinct beers. So I give DDC the credit for the great release!

Their approach is so refreshing in our Province, and adds on to what the best of our own brewers do here.
Once again, it was a great release if you happened to live in an area that received the product, not so great if you didn't.

I don't know if people have complained about this DDC release or other product releases but some people have told me the LCBO is aware of the availability problem and is trying to remedy the situation, whatever that may mean.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Opened a few Aphrodite (AKA Aphrodisiacque) I got from Cooper St - they should have more 24 packs avail for those feeling flush.

Great beer, very more-ish. This is my all-time 'crave' beer along with good IPA, of course.

Ontario Brewers: I would love your opinion on this beer!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Aphrodite from Summerhill - I swear this batch is a little more creamy sweet and rounded than the bunch I got at Cooper Street. It's exactly like the sixers I brought from Quebec. It's freaking fantastic.
In Beerum Veritas