Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Macleans article on IPA

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Nice article... who's the author? My unknown twin?

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Good article and interesting that a mainstream publication is taking notice. (I wonder what the market share of the craft beer segment is now in Canada, I believe in the U.S. it still does not exceed 5% nationally).

With regard to American Pale Ales (the style) in Canada, I would argue that it is not just the amount of hops that distinguishes them from the English originals, but the type of hops. U.S. hops seem generally to have very pronounced citric (grapefruit-like) or piney flavours. English hops, notably Goldings, can be lemony, but in a different way. The taste of English hops is in my experience quite different than American-grown ones, even when English varieties are grown on American soil.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

A comment after the article by Travis Friesen:
Why do I feel like I'm the only beer enthusiast left who is not a hop head? Who prefers the subtlety of a complex malt profile to the in-your-face, over-the-top and too often out-of-balance nature of an over-hopped 'IPA'?
I like the hoppy beers but there's too much emphasis on them in North America.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

G.M. Gillman wrote:I believe in the U.S. it still does not exceed 5% nationally).
4.9% by volume and 7% by dollars, according to the Brewers Association.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages ... tics/facts

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cale wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:
Cale wrote: This one has bothered me for a while, especially regarding unflavored versions. Outside of seasonal releases, I can only think of two good options available to me - St. Ambroise Oatmeal and Fuller's London Porter. I'd really like see some more local stouts and porters on the shelves.
Do you not like Hockley Valley Stout? (I do)
Can't say I've ever come across anything but their Black & Tan around here, although I'm usually not much of a Dry Stout fan.

I certainly can't wait until Nutcracker Porter is back, as I always make the trip up to Etobicoke to get some. I can also get Welly RIS year-round, but it's the lack of the lower ABV stouts I really feel an absence for, as I can always stock up on the imperials. I'd love to see Flying Monkeys bottle their Birthday Cake porter, which is probably unlikely, or even an increase in kegs of the stuff. The only stouts I see on tap here in town (outside of winter seasonals) is the St Ambroise and Cobblestone, the latter of which has never impressed me. Mill St Coffee being the only porter I think I've ever seen, seasonals included. I'd love to see Cheshire Valley Robust Porter on tap sometime, as even the porters I've had and enjoyed that I mentioned above are still flavoured with spices, chocolate, fruit, coffee etc. Sometimes you just want a straight-up porter or stout.
Hockley Valley Stout is currently available at 3 LCBO's in Burlington and the one in Waterdown.