Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Brewhouse & Grill

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

JerCraigs wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:You have to be pretty determined to get there (or live in the area, which I do not).
Really? I actually thought it was a surprisingly short walk from Union. (A little over a kilometer depending, 10-15 minutes) Cut across the marina bridge and zig zag up to the ACC and it didn't feel far at all.
agreed - the walk from union is short. more convenient for me to get to via transit than many other beer spots.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

^ try doing it in a car.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

midlife crisis wrote:^ try doing it in a car.
try doing it in a Car2Go and the closest lot is full.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

These damn first world problems...
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Well, I think it has to be something of a concern for them. The street is practically impassable (and will be for quite some time) and as atom says, parking is difficult to say the least. Perhaps their business plan does not rely on drive-up traffic though. I hope not.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Do any bars in downtown Toronto rely on drive-up traffic? I'd venture to say not.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

nickw wrote:Do any bars in downtown Toronto rely on drive-up traffic? I'd venture to say not.
if i were a bar owner i'd hope for exactly the opposite... no driving == more beers == no DUI.

I do understand that sometimes driving is a necessity (or we're lucky enough to have a designated driver)... in that case, there are a couple of greenp's as close or closer than Union, and i'm sure there are other parking options if you're not afraid to walk a few blocks (which is often a necessity in the downtown core anyway).

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

nickw wrote:Do any bars in downtown Toronto rely on drive-up traffic? I'd venture to say not.
this thought for you:
would you want to walk to the Brewhouse in the middle of a cold January night?

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

atomeyes wrote:this thought for you:
keep that talk up and they might take away your Canadian card! ;)

and yeah, a 15min walk is tolerable in just about any weather... and i'd pick january over pouring rain anyway.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Who thought it would be 905ers arguing for transit/walking to bars and the Torontonians wanting parking spots :lol:
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

icemachine wrote:Who thought it would be 905ers arguing for transit/walking to bars and the Torontonians wanting parking spots :lol:
for those who hate pissing away $$ on cabs, i'd strongly suggest car2go. we've had a free membership since last summer but just started to use it last weekend. we wanted to avoid the "i THINK i'm below the legal limit" stupidity and avoid the TTC as much as possible.

you get charged something like $0.36/minute. IF Queens Quay wasn't a shithole warzone, it would have been a 15 minute drive for us and a 3 minute walk. instead, streets were closed, greenPs were full. but if you're considering not taking TTC to places like Volo, then Car2Go is great. TTC is $3/person. if it takes me 15 minutes to drive to Volo, then it is $4.50 with C2G. and you don't pay for gas.

nickw

Post by nickw »

atomeyes wrote:
this thought for you:
When I go anywhere in January (or anytime), I walk, go by bike or take the TTC, which invariably involves some sort of walk.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

If they had an interesting beer or food, yes. We do that with C'est What. On really miserable days we'll do a portion of the trek underground.
lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

lister wrote:
If they had an interesting beer or food, yes. We do that with C'est What. On really miserable days we'll do a portion of the trek underground.
It's about 2.5 times further from Union than C'est What. It's not unmanageable, but a walk that long will deter plenty of people.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

squeaky wrote:It's about 2.5 times further from Union than C'est What. It's not unmanageable, but a walk that long will deter plenty of people.
I haven't explored this option, but I was told it's quite close to the path system, so even on brisk days you can choose to be indoors for a decent portion of the trip.