Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2013 Hallowe'en Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

lister wrote:Yeah, what other Hallowe'en beers are there beyond pumpkin ones...
I wish Rogue would make a Voodoo pumpkin donut beer with flavors of chocolate, hazelnut and vanilla custard & BBQ beef ribs.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Jonah Hex wrote:I was hoping for St Ambroise Maple Ale.

I guess that's for next year?
I'm hoping it'll be a general list item. That was fantastic on tap earlier this year!
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:I wish Rogue would make a Voodoo pumpkin donut beer with flavors of chocolate, hazelnut and vanilla custard & BBQ beef ribs.
Ugh, that just might be worse than the Voodoo. :-?
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

lister wrote:Yeah, what other Hallowe'en beers are there beyond pumpkin ones... Looking forward to trying the new ones.
maybe all Christmas beers should taste like fruitcake? and all spring beers taste like pollen?

mmmm....allergies....

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

lister wrote:
Jonah Hex wrote:I was hoping for St Ambroise Maple Ale.
I guess that's for next year?
I'm hoping it'll be a general list item. That was fantastic on tap earlier this year!
I've changed what I'm hoping for. What you said, me too. :)
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

atomeyes wrote:maybe all Christmas beers should taste like fruitcake? and all spring beers taste like pollen?
What other readily available Hallowe'en beers that the LCBO could bring in?
lister

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

You are looking at it the wrong way, it is not so much a "Halloween Relesase" as it is a "Pumpkin Feature". All a matter of perspective.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Personally I'm super happy with the release as I hate pumpkin beers so now I can buy more of the Fall release. :)
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

A bit surprised there is no Wychwood brew in this release, but I like most of these pumpkin beers. Did not enjoy the Ghosttown last time it was here.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

lister wrote:
atomeyes wrote:maybe all Christmas beers should taste like fruitcake? and all spring beers taste like pollen?
do we need a specially-marked Halloween release? where's our Valentine's Day release with cinnamon-heart beer?

seems like a waste of shelf space to have so many pumpkin beer SKUs. is anyone really going to want to try them all?

i also hate being told (which is what the LCBO does with their seasonal release) what style of beer i have to drink at a certain time of the year. IPAs are summer beer, stouts are winter beer and no wavering!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:seems like a waste of shelf space to have so many pumpkin beer SKUs. is anyone really going to want to try them all?

i also hate being told (which is what the LCBO does with their seasonal release) what style of beer i have to drink at a certain time of the year. IPAs are summer beer, stouts are winter beer and no wavering!
Agreed about the second part, unfairly limiting our choice to 'programs' they decide on.

As for pumpkin beer hogging so many SKU's - I assume a lot of these will not be at all locations, and I would bet some of them may be fleeting. It may be a supply issue to just get enough pumpkin beers to cover all of the Ontario market, hence so many suppliers of 'similar' product.

And we only find that many SKU's of one thing odd because we don't have multiple competing retailers offering variety - which again pertains to your second point.
In Beerum Veritas

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

atomeyes wrote:
lister wrote:
do we need a specially-marked Halloween release? where's our Valentine's Day release with cinnamon-heart beer?

seems like a waste of shelf space to have so many pumpkin beer SKUs. is anyone really going to want to try them all?

Why are you complaining so much? Do you not see this release, along with the fall and QC lineups, being at all positive for craft beer in Ontario?

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

lister wrote:
Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin, kinda suprised they dont.

Southern Tier also makes a Harvest beer.

Down in the States over the weekend, there sure is a lot of Harvest/Fall/Pumpkin/Hallowe'en beers available.

Not really thinking of pumpkin beer when its 28C but, winters coming.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Ukie wrote:
lister wrote:
Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin, kinda suprised they dont.

Southern Tier also makes a Harvest beer.

Down in the States over the weekend, there sure is a lot of Harvest/Fall/Pumpkin/Hallowe'en beers available.

Not really thinking of pumpkin beer when its 28C but, winters coming.
Ommegang Scythe and Sickle...

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Those are Thanksgiving beers, and must be consumed between Oct 1 and Oct 15. Government officials will be by first thing on Oct 16 to retrieve any unconsumed Thanksgiving beers.

Halloween beers must be consumed between Oct 16 and Nov 1. No exceptions. :D