Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Calling all lurkers/newbies

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

Hello everyone, my name is Ryan and I guess I have been a lurker on and off for a while now. I don't ayways have alot to add to the discussions but this post made me want to register. I live in Etobicoke (Bloor & Islington) and have been into good beer for several years. I enjoy going the the festivals (particularly enjoyed the cask ale fest at Volo) as well as some of the good beer spots in town. (Volo, BB, Granite, C'est What) Hopefully I can add something to the forum every now and then.

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Whassup Ryan? Welcome aboard!

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Absolutely welcome, Ryan - the Cask festival was the hit of the year (several years) for me too.

So - who's up for trading? Have we got some place to put our "available lists yet? If not, anyone who's interested should look (pardon the indirect RateBeer plug) at my "cellar list" here

http://www.ratebeer.com/WishList-View.asp?UserID=22646

I'm saying it again - I'll trade for beers I haven't tried yet, so if you have some interest, and want to make a trade offer, PrivateMessage me and let's talk - maybe meet at Joe's, or Volo, or Ciro's, or BeerBistro (okay, even C'Est What if you insist) and exchange bottles and hoist a pint.

C'mon, trading's fun! I am shipping 15 bottles to Québec tomorrow!

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Greetings!
I guess I am a newbie...and would post more if I had more free time. Usually drop by to check things out and get a good laugh at all the banter happening on the forums.
I was a member of the mass-market beer club for years, but secretly knew I needed more. Went to Belgium and got hooked on good stuff and have never looked back. Enjoy pretty much anything that isn't fruit flavoured or flavourless, but don't give me a Rochfort 10, I'll end up pouring half of it.
Cheers! Been drinking a fair bit of Tankhouse Ale lately, but haven't had time to grab a pint of it anywhere on tap.

jkubik

Post by jkubik »

Define newbie?
I'm definitly not a newbie to beer drinking!

I'm Joe, and I drink beer.
I'm a big microbrew fan, so it's nice that ?c-est? is "almost" walking distance from home. Now, if only their food was a little more exciting.

My favorite beer is Highlands BrewingCold Mountain Winter Ale:
http://www.highlandbrewing.com/beerstyles.htm (oh, and if you find it anywhere I can driver to in one day, let me know).

I have brewed 3 batches of beer, and am looking to brew another.

What else do you want to know?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Since we're getting lots of new members signing up today due to the Star article, I wanted to push this thread back to the top in hopes that some of them will make an intro post.

Welcome newbies!

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Hi Greg,

I must have forgotten to jump in here but the Star article reminded me. I am in Kingston and write my stuff mainly at A Good Beer Blog. It is quite striking, reading these forums, how my interest is almost entirely focused south down I-81 and the delights to be found in Syracuse and beyond. It is in large part due to the writings of Lew Bryson and the Great Lakes Brewing News but I suppose it is a sad comment on the LCBO and the Beer Store that I find it easier to get my hands on good US micro ales than beers from your end of Lake Ontario and beyond into SW Ont.

All the best,

Alan McLeod
Kingston

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

jkubik wrote:Define newbie?
I'm definitly not a newbie to beer drinking!
Newbie in internet terminology means someone new to the board, who people don't really know yet, and don't know your habits, likes, dislikes, personality.

Simultaneously, you don't know the board, the other posters, and the expected behaviour and ettiquitte.

Its easy to stop being a Newbie, start posting and partaking in discussions, and prettty quickly you should see where you fit in and who you have common interests with.

Later

DT
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I'll bite. I've been drinking beer since the late 1970s, legally since 1984, and since I was born in Dublin, I expect that some of my baby bottles were actually filled with Guinness.

I'm definitely a darker ale/stout fan and my standbys are Guinness, Smithwick's and the Granite's Peculiar. It doesn't hurt that I can see the Granite from where I live!

Among my favourite places to drink beer, besides the Granite, there are the Bow and Arrow (or the Bone Marrow, as I have dubbed it), C'est What? and, in my younger years, the Black Sheep pub at Yonge and Sheppard.

I despise the Firkinization of Toronto's pubs, and though I've been to the Biermarkt or whatever it's called once, I didn't like the (lack of) atmosphere.

I'm always up for a pint as long as we don't have to actually talk about the beer the whole time. I'm a reasonably sane sports fan (though not hockey, sorry!) and have been known to talk about film, politics, religion, just about anything worth arguing over in fun.

I work as the web guy for a wine agency and wine is another passion, though harder to indulge on my salary. I'm also an anti-snob and that can be a hard battle among the wine crowd.

I keep two blogs, neither is particularly beer or wine related. Consolation Champs (www.consolationchamps.com) is my main weblog, and Runner Up (www.runner-up.org) is about "non-winners" and other interesting but overlooked people, places, or things.

Glad to be here, I promise I won't ramble on like this in every post!

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Hi, I'm Chris and I drink beer.

I also work part time at The Beer Store (1-2 days a week).

My current beer of choice is Sleeman Original Draught, but I have sampled many a brand (*cough* NOT STEELBACK *cough*) over the years.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Hi Everyone. Name is Troy and I love Keiths. I look forward to participating in these forums.

I am heading to Younge and Davisville this weekend. Any good brewpubs around that area?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Keith's Man wrote:Hi Everyone. Name is Troy and I love Keiths.
Given the news from yesterday as posted in this thread, you may want to keep your love of Keith's on the downlow for a little while... :o
Keith's Man wrote:I am heading to Younge and Davisville this weekend. Any good brewpubs around that area?
The only true brewpub (i.e. bar that brews their own beer on-site) in Toronto is The Granite, which is on Eglinton near Avenue Road. But if you're just looking for a pub that serves good beer, check out the Bow & Arrow at 1954 Yonge just north of Davisville.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Keith's Man wrote:I am heading to Younge and Davisville this weekend. Any good brewpubs around that area?
There's a pub right at Y&D (west side of Yonge north a bit of Davisville) called Bow & Arrow. Lots of good stuff on tap plus pretty good food.

The closest brewpub is The Granite over at Mt. Pleasant & Eglinton (east side of Mt. Pleasant south of Eglinton.) It's about a 10-15 minute walk from Y&D.
lister

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Thanks for the responses. I will definately check out the Bow & Arrow.
Crazy about the Keith's guy eh! Still, it won't stop me from promoting the beer.

T