Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sam Adams in Ontario 2010/2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

skaghevn wrote:My first, and probably last, Samuel Adam's purchase was the Triple Bock. If you've had it, you know that dreadful doesn't quite begin to describe it. I realize that the brewery must put out consumable product, but once bitten, twice shy.
I actually quite liked the Triple Bock when I tried it (the 1994 vintage, in 2003). Here's what I wrote:

"I'd been warned to expect this to taste like soya sauce, but I was pleasantly surprised. The colour is dark brown-burgundy. Aroma of whiskey, chocolate, oak cask & sweet maple. Flavour of maple and molasses, and an odd twinge of rye and coke. Moderately dry finish. Very, very nice - I'm glad I waited nine years to try this, as it sounds like any younger samples have been pretty nasty."

Maybe I just got in in the "sweet spot" of it's aging.

Anyway - you really should give the SA Lager a shot sometime. Along with Brooklyn Lager, it's a classic lager of modern craft brewing.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

skaghevn wrote:My first, and probably last, Samuel Adam's purchase was the Triple Bock. If you've had it, you know that dreadful doesn't quite begin to describe it. I realize that the brewery must put out consumable product, but once bitten, twice shy. I did get a very big laugh just now though, as I've only started watchine 'Oz & James Drink To Britain', and in episode 5 they crack open a bottle of Utopia. Their reaction mirrors my expectation of what it would taste like.

Sam Adams make some great beers. I wouldn't use Triple Bock as the standard as to which you are going to judge their efforts. It is such a niche beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

I had the 1995 when it was still young (within the first year) and had the same experience as Greg. Bought a few of the '97s and got the soy sauce experience...tried another bottle after about five or six years and if anything it was worse. I've still got a bottle or two in the basement, but I don't know if I want to tempt fate.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

The Winter Lager is on tap at Chancey Smith's as of today. Can't wait to try it! This distribution deal has ended up being a lot better than I expected. :D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:The Winter Lager is on tap at Chancey Smith's as of today. Can't wait to try it! This distribution deal has ended up being a lot better than I expected. :D

Fack, I was there last night. Looks like I'll have to bloody go again!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

It is, of course, good news we're now getting more SA brews but I'm a bit disappointed SA Cream Stout isn't included. I'm a bit tired of only having two stouts (Guinness and Saint Ambroise Oatmeal) to choose from.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Philip1 wrote:It is, of course, good news we're now getting more SA brews but I'm a bit disappointed SA Cream Stout isn't included. I'm a bit tired of only having two stouts (Guinness and Saint Ambroise Oatmeal) to choose from.
Brooklyn Black Chocolate
Dark Star Esspresso
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
Sinha Stout
Southern Tier Choklat
DDC Peche Mortal
DDC Aphro
Dragon Stout

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
Philip1 wrote:It is, of course, good news we're now getting more SA brews but I'm a bit disappointed SA Cream Stout isn't included. I'm a bit tired of only having two stouts (Guinness and Saint Ambroise Oatmeal) to choose from.
Brooklyn Black Chocolate
Dark Star Esspresso
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
Sinha Stout
Southern Tier Choklat
DDC Peche Mortal
DDC Aphro
Dragon Stout
Plus you can add hockley Stout to that list.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Not including the seasonals, we can say Guinness (Draught and Extra), St. Ambroise, Hockley, Sinha, Dragon, and Youngs Double Chocolate.

Seven general list stouts still isn't much for selection.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

mintjellie wrote:Not including the seasonals, we can say Guinness (Draught and Extra), St. Ambroise, Hockley, Sinha, Dragon, and Youngs Double Chocolate.

Seven general list stouts still isn't much for selection.
ratebeer stout styles: stout, dry stout, foriegn stout, imperial stout, sweet stout

stout - St. Ambroise #4 in the world for style
dry stout - Guinness #28 in the world for style
foriegn stout - Sinha Stout #3 in the world for style
imperial stout - DDC Peche Mortal #25 in the world for style
sweet stout - ok ya got me here

overall we do ok IMO

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

When did Peche Mortel become a general list beer?

C'mon - You've seen well stocked grocery stores in New York state with craft beer selections that dwarf the worlds largest purchaser of beverage alcohol. You really think one choice for each style of stout, with only two of those styles of stout available year round, is doing pretty well?

You know right - those awful grocery stores that the public sector unions would have you believe only carry a limited selection of beers, all of them piss yellow with the word "light" in their branding?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

mintjellie wrote:When did Peche Mortel become a general list beer?

C'mon - You've seen well stocked grocery stores in New York state with craft beer selections that dwarf the worlds largest purchaser of beverage alcohol. You really think one choice for each style of stout, with only two of those styles of stout available year round, is doing pretty well?

You know right - those awful grocery stores that the public sector unions would have you believe only carry a limited selection of beers, all of them piss yellow with the word "light" in their branding?
i said were doing ok, i dont think we have it good but "stout" isnt where id like to see improvement in the current lcbo selection. whenever i feel like a "stout" i can have a world class example. also if you dont have imperial stouts availible to you 365 days a year all you need to do is start cellaring. a case of BBCS goes a long way.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote: C'mon - You've seen well stocked grocery stores in New York state with craft beer selections that dwarf the worlds largest purchaser of beverage alcohol.

Yes, I have seen them. I shopped in them and loved it. But I don't live in New York. I live in Ontario.

I've also been to Quebec many times and specifically Quebec City. They have a culture there that is untouched. I love it. But I live in London, Ontario. I don't expect that culture to simply hop on over here cause I want it to.

I've been to South Carolina many times. My uncle suffered a stroke there and was rushed to hospital . Thankfully he had coverage or else he'd be selling his house as we speak, to pay for those hospital bills. But he lives in Ontario. I bet hes ok with that fact. He loves South Carolina, so do I. I love the beer there. But I don't expect Myrtle Beach to come to Ontario because I think it should.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

matt7215 wrote: ratebeer stout styles: stout, dry stout, foriegn stout, imperial stout, sweet stout

overall we do ok IMO
That says nothing about selection.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

biegaman wrote:
matt7215 wrote: ratebeer stout styles: stout, dry stout, foriegn stout, imperial stout, sweet stout

overall we do ok IMO
That says nothing about selection.
Thats what I'm trying to get at.