Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trip to Hamilton, St. Catherines, Waterloo, Cambridge

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

electroluminescent

Post by electroluminescent »

Going to try and hit Chester's as well, let me know when you get in if you can.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Well, the trip was an overwhelming success.
Thanks to Ryan, Cale, and Mel for meeting up with us. We had a great time with all of you.

Here is how it all worked out.

Sunday:

Grand River Brewing
Winking Judge

Monday:

Syndicate
Taps Brewhouse and Grill
Chester's Beers of the World
Winking Judge

Tuesday:

The Phoenix
Grand River Brewing
The Golden Kiwi

Overall wee were spoiled with great service and great beer. Some highlights were:

Nickel Brook Pumpkin
Taps Chuck Norris
Taps 80/-
Grand River Curmudgeon IPA
Taps Abbey Dubbel
Liefmans Goudenband 1996
Suffolk Strong 1998
Taps Baltic Shipwreck

Thanks to Nick at Syndicate, Mary and Winger at Winking Judge, and to Len at the Kiwi for the hospitality and conversation. Until next time....

Len
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Sounds like a super fun time. When are you guys gonna do a Toronto trip?

Len, I'm heading to Niagara Falls this weekend, should I go out of my way to try to get to Taps, or will Syndicate suffice? Also, are growlers available at Syndicate?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

velovampire wrote: Should I go out of my way to try to get to Taps, or will Syndicate suffice? Also, are growlers available at Syndicate?
Taps has more interesting beers right now as the IPA, RIS, dubbel, and Scottish ale are on draught and the cask is up and running too. Only saw one brand of growlers at Syndicate and I think it was something standard like the Blonde or Lager.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

cratez wrote:
velovampire wrote: Should I go out of my way to try to get to Taps, or will Syndicate suffice? Also, are growlers available at Syndicate?
Taps has more interesting beers right now as the IPA, RIS, dubbel, and Scottish ale are on draught and the cask is up and running too. Only saw one brand of growlers at Syndicate and I think it was something standard like the Blonde or Lager.
Cool, thanks Cratez. I'll try to get to Taps.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

This was an outstanding and extremely worthwhile trip. Although we have it very good here in London, it was great to get out and see what the rest of the province has to offer.

I'd like to send a HUGE thanks to Leonard and his family. I was truly humbled by their warm welcome, generosity, and company during our stay.

Ryan, Cale, and Mel were a blast to hang out with as we navigated Hamilton's criminally slept-on beer bars. Chester's was a particular highlight for me since I've never been to a stranger, more eccentric establishment in my several years of craft drinking. Where else in Ontario can you get a '96 vintage bottle of Liefmans Goudenband (which tasted fantastic BTW)?

I tried 15 new beers, shared countless laughs with Steelback and the friends who joined us, and reached a milestone of beer #800 halfway through the trip. We also had the privilege of meeting Mary and Winger from The Judge, Len of the Golden Kiwi and Curmudgeon IPA fame, Michael from Chester's, Bob of Grand River Brewing, and random patrons who were intrigued by our travels and Burger King discussions. :lol:

We will no doubt be back as soon as work schedules and finances allow us to return, and hopefully our reviews will bump some of these under-appreciated spots onto the radars of uninitiated locals and beer geeks from abroad. Cheers!