Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cheeses

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Try that cambozola sprinkled over steak with roasted walnuts. Really tasty.
I like sliding in a few slices of cambozola on mushroom pizza.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

markaberrant wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Try that cambozola sprinkled over steak with roasted walnuts. Really tasty.
I like sliding in a few slices of cambozola on mushroom pizza.
ditto with Vegetable lasagna.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Rocking some Cantenaar at the moment with ST Gemini. It kicks the beers ass.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:Rocking some Cantenaar at the moment with ST Gemini. It kicks the beers ass.
And when a cheese can kick Gemini's ass you know it is good!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Just had a delicious cheddar from PEI I think it's called Avonlea and it paired well (to my surprise) with a Black Licorice Lager from Shorts.
We can get drunker than this!!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

irishkyle21 wrote:Just had a delicious cheddar from PEI I think it's called Avonlea and it paired well (to my surprise) with a Black Licorice Lager from Shorts.
The Clothbound Cheddar? If so, it's so much like munching on a raw spud..........in a good way.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Torontoblue wrote:

The Clothbound Cheddar? If so, it's so much like munching on a raw spud..........in a good way.
That's the one. It's one of my favorite cheddars so far, almost as good as Montgomery's in my opinion.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

This one is very good if you can find it:

http://www.wbez.org/blog/steve-dolinsky ... unds-84392

It's available at Plank Road Market just a little east of Danforth and Coxwell.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Avonlea is one of the few cheeses made in Canada which in my experience really tastes like English cheddar.

Ontario and Quebec make great cheddars but they don't really taste English IMO, even the raw milk versions.

The Montgomery mentioned is a good example of English cheddar and it has a meadow-like flavour, grassy and creamy, almost buttery, that is the hallmark of good English cheese. (I say good because they have plenty of a standarized industrial product too, the vast majority of it probably).

It's hard to find Avonlea or Montgomery or similar but recently at Metro I found a line of three English cheeses, one was cheddar, for a very reasonable price that had the real cheddar taste IMO. It wasn't cloth-wrapped (hallmark of the old farmhouse cheese) and is pasteurized I would think but it had that inimitable Englis flavour. Unfortunately I can't recall the name, it's a name like doubledrum or something like that, but anyone who goes there will find it easily, it's in a small package with a black and white label next to a Cheshire (classic crumbly English cheese) and a third one, Gloucester maybe.

English ale, or English-style ale, is the perfect partner for English cheese.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

This thread is making me excited for my cottage trip in a couple weeks, which always involves a stop-over at Maple Dale. :D

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

It was Dorset Drum cheddar that I meant. In the cheese section, there are other British cheeses that have different names but are similarly packaged and priced, but of those I've tasted, I thought Dorset Drum was the best.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Picked up a nice big slab of Rogue Creamery Smoky Blue this weekend. Possibly one of the finest, more-ish blue cheeses I've ever tried. First off, it's very creamy with nice blue veins all the way through. And the subtle smoke takes over, mixing superbly with the initial taste of caramel & hazelnuts leading to the wonderful tangy aftertaste.

Also grabbed some more of the Queso Valdeon from the Castilla-Leon region. This is a very intense blue, and is a mix of goat & cow's milk. Seems to be more blue/grey veins than actual white cheese!!! And all wrapped in sycamore leaves. Very spicy & salty. Quite sticky and really latches onto the back of your mouth, tongue and throat. Not for the feint hearted.

Also Cantal AOC from Auvergne, France. Semi firm cow's milk. Quite strong aroma of stone, farmyard, hay & wet grass. Quite mild flavoured with nice hints of butter. Apparently this is one of the world's oldest cheeses and was even written about by Pliny The Elder, 2000 years ago. Now if only I had a bottle of Pliny.......

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Anyone know where in Toronto you can get the Avonlea cheddar? Very intrigued...

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

This excellent cheese store often has it:

http://www.nancyscheese.com/Site/Home.html

According to her list, Avonlea is currently sold out but I see she has some Scottish cheddar currently, and all her stock is top-rate.

Gary
Gary Gillman

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Torontoblue wrote:
Picked up a nice big slab of Rogue Creamery Smoky Blue this weekend. Possibly one of the finest, more-ish blue cheeses I've ever tried. First off, it's very creamy with nice blue veins all the way through. And the subtle smoke takes over, mixing superbly with the initial taste of caramel & hazelnuts leading to the wonderful tangy aftertaste.

That's one cheese I have been wanting to try for a long time. Even morse so now.