Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Trafalgar Hop Nouveau

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Bobsy wrote:
Derek wrote:Fresh produce in a boutique market is often more expensive, and this is exactly that.
If I'm paying boutique prices I want boutique quality! They also need to step up their game on the labelling - it sure as hell doesn't look like a product worth $6, regardless of what's in the bottle!
Beyond the quality of what's IN the bottle, it's the "little" things like the label that really put the finishing touches on products, giving the product a polished look that makes it feel complete and carefully considered.

This bottle looks like a piece of shit.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

The label for Malted Corpse is just as bad. I think they need a new creative team!

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

viggo wrote:The label for Malted Corpse is just as bad. I think they need a new creative team!
Haha yeah I saw it yesterday. Just terrible.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

JesseMcG wrote:
viggo wrote:The label for Malted Corpse is just as bad. I think they need a new creative team!
Haha yeah I saw it yesterday. Just terrible.
Kind of looks like something I drew for Halloween in preschool.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Bobsy wrote:If I'm paying boutique prices I want boutique quality! They also need to step up their game on the labelling - it sure as hell doesn't look like a product worth $6, regardless of what's in the bottle!
But it has tin foil over the cap. That screams quality. No?

Horrible.

Yeah, I thought this beer was pretty mediocre and I'm surprised at how positive the comments for it are. Is it because this beer is a novelty? Or because it's an okay beer from a brewery with a bad track record and people went in with low expectations? Does it get graded on a curve because it's local? I don't get it.

Oh well. More for you guys eh? I'm sure as hell never getting it again.

As for malted corpse...where to even begin?

And what's inside is just as horrible, just FYI.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseMcG wrote:
this local beer is 35 to 43 % more costly than the imports, if we just compare volume.
That was already clear to me
Yeah I know - but was it clear to the nearest penny, the nearest percent? :)

I am not knocking the beer either, it's just grandly priced, so I wish 'em luck.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Some of these comments are beyond brutal. Who gives a rats ass what the bottle looks like? Yeah, once in a while it is nice to have great presentation in terms of a bottle, but let us be honest here........if this was a Southern Tier beer, nobody would be complaining about the label, and we'd all be yammering on about how good this beer is. Label or not, this is a decent beer.

I am on my 5th bottle of hop nouveau, and it is beyond good. Lots of fresh hop and citrus flavour. This is something I will drink again and again.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Some of these comments are beyond brutal. Who gives a rats ass what the bottle looks like?
The consumer? Perhaps the person who wanders into the craft section and is looking for something new only to be confronted with a mediocre label?

Yep, a lady is great on the inside, but until you get to know her its the looks that draw you in.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

See Len is right. When the Trafalgar issue is not on the INSIDE of the bottle everyone complains about the outside!
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:See Len is right. When the Trafalgar issue is not on the INSIDE of the bottle everyone complains about the outside!
I still think it has huge issues on the inside.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I didn't really care about how the label looked... I pour the beer in a glass and then the bottle is irrelevant. Once I try a product, the marketing doesn't matter to me since I already know what I'm getting.

I just was underwhelmed by the beer. It was ok, and for $6 a bottle, it needs to be better than ok for me to buy again. I can buy a 650 mL bottle of Liberty Ale for $4 and I enjoy it more.

If they make another batch of this next year, I'll give it another try, regardless of what the label looks like.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobsy wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:Some of these comments are beyond brutal. Who gives a rats ass what the bottle looks like?
The consumer?

Not this consumer. I care about what is IN the bottle. If I were to buy bottles based on looks, well then Orval would be out.....so would a lot of others.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

With all the talk, I bit and bought a bottle.

Meh. Nothing to rave about it. I think i've brewed something better myself. 1 bottle was more than enough. I think I actually liked the lable more than the product

Now... do I dare purchase the Malted Corpse?

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
The consumer?

Not this consumer. I care about what is IN the bottle. If I were to buy bottles based on looks, well then Orval would be out.....so would a lot of others.
Orval is one of my favorite bottles. AND the beer doesn't taste like sour piss either, imagine that.

Len, you work at the fucking LCBO and it's pretty clear from this forum that you try EVERYTHING that comes in (at least the beer). The average consumer might not buy a bottle of something if the label looks terrible. That goes for Orval too. I consider most of my friends average consumers of beer, and most of them would never have tried Orval if it wasn't for me forcing it on them.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
The consumer?

Compared to the average joe on the street, we're pretty open-minded when it comes to beer, and a bad label has never stopped me buying something I know to be good. To say that people aren't drawn to more attractive packaging is a bit of a fallacy, though, and the reasoning that companies spend millions on marketing.

Mind you, I work in marketing so I may be biased :wink: