Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

GregClow wrote:
icemachine wrote:I'm guessing Jeff meant London, England where Dmitri lived before moving to Canada
That might make sense - except Jeff said that they had "drove in from London".
They definitely said they "drove in" - they were being treated very nicely, aka, full pints of the stuff, and the chef came out and had a chat with them to say how happy they were with the beer.

It's actually a great place for the beer. It pairs perfectly with the Mexican food.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JeffPorter wrote:It's actually a great place for the beer. It pairs perfectly with the Mexican food.
Milagro? Yeah, I eat at the John St. location fairly often - it's one of our defaults when we're going to a movie at Lightbox - and I'm really glad that they've recently had both Spearhead and Mad Tom on tap. Even their other two taps - Creemore and Steam Whistle - are decent for a place that isn't exactly a craft beer destination.

Helps that the food is excellent as well. I can't think of one dish I've had there that's disappointed me.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JeffPorter wrote: I also thought it was sweet that they said they drove from London just to drink the beer.
Sweet, but very strange, given that it's readily available here (and served in its proper glassware). It sounds like Dimitri hasn't told his family that they can drink the beer locally.
JeffPorter wrote: Now, LONDON, is a completely different story.

I'm a Laurier alum and as such it's my right, no DUTY, to loathe Western, ahem, University, it's garbage football team, and by extension the city it's in. Sorry. That's just the rule. Laurier folk hate Western more than that university down the road.

If Waterloo rules, than it's London that has to drool.

I can have my degree taken away if I don't speak out against the football team, it's faux-gothic architecture, and their baby-eating alumni.
Being a Western alum, I should probably feel the same way about Laurier; however, the school is so insignificant that I forgot where it's located. Thanks for reminding me. I'm not a Mustangs fan but I see that they've won 2-3 times as many Vanier Cups, Churchill (Uteck) Bowls, Atlantic (Mitchell) Bowls, and Yates Cups as the Golden Hawks. How that makes them a garbage team in comparison to Laurier is a mystery to me. And in terms of Western's quality of education, it consistently ranks as a top 10 Canadian university. Throw in all the good beer spots that we have, and I'd much rather be a student in London than Waterloo. :wink:

On an unrelated note, I'm disappointed to hear that Stephen Rich has left the Spearhead team. Not sure what that's all about, but he posts on the Towel occasionally so we might hear from him in the coming weeks. Cheers!

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

cratez wrote:On an unrelated note, I'm disappointed to hear that Stephen Rich has left the Spearhead team. Not sure what that's all about, but he posts on the Towel occasionally so we might hear from him in the coming weeks. Cheers!
I hear he was fired for removing his perfect rating from RB. :wink:

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

cratez wrote:On an unrelated note, I'm disappointed to hear that Stephen Rich has left the Spearhead team. Not sure what that's all about, but he posts on the Towel occasionally so we might hear from him in the coming weeks. Cheers!
He clearly has been using his new found spare time to focus on his blog:

http://definitionale.com/

14 entries in the last week alone!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

markaberrant wrote:

The Dunkel Buck is part of a series that is "Wild and Oaty!" and you need to agitate the bottle to get the yeast "out of suspension"...

Uhhhh, okay then.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Shelbyville Guy # 1: "Sounds like Springfield's got a discipline problem."
Shelbyville Guy # 2: "Maybe that's why we beat them at football nearly half the time."

All that matters is the Vanier Cup in 1991, baby!!!!...Um, but I don't know why that matters. I just remember a big mural of it when I went there.

My wife is from U of T and doesn't understand friendly Ontario university rivalries - I think that's because she has delusions that that U of T, is the Harvard of Ontario and is waiting for Yale to issue a rowing challenge.
:)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

ritzkiss wrote:
markaberrant wrote:

The Dunkel Buck is part of a series that is "Wild and Oaty!" and you need to agitate the bottle to get the yeast "out of suspension"...

Uhhhh, okay then.
Newb question, but...

How do you get the yeast "out of suspension"?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

JeffPorter wrote:All that matters is the Vanier Cup in 1991 1992, baby.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:All that matters is the Vanier Cup in 1991 1992, baby.
Yes, St. Mary's had their asses seared, braised, sauced, and handed to them.

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

JeffPorter wrote: Newb question, but...

How do you get the yeast "out of suspension"?
A centrifuge usually. Or you can use the "1 x G" method, sit the bottle upright for a couple days.

Yeah, he doesn't know what that phrase means.