Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Amsterdam Cruiser

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

atomeyes wrote: and then crack open another 1 or 20. anyways...
That might be what you take away from it, but it's certainly not what I think of when I hear the term "Session IPA" or "All Day Pale Ale." I also have yet to meet a craft beer geek or brewer who crushes 20 beers in a sitting. Three or four pints in a session, sure, but not 20.
atomeyes wrote: have you been to Founders' brewpub in Grand Rapids? it's a total frathouse. no, there's no beer snake, but it's all college kids and i don't think it's a hip or cool bar. it's ridiculously huge and beautiful, but yeah, Founders looks like they know their demographic and it isn't beardos and weirdos.
I've been to Founders and, like most beer geeks, thought it was awesome. There were lots of students and people under 30 there, but the vibe didn't strike me as "frat house." Unpretentious and fun with great live music and world class beer, but not a frat house. We went with a beardo/weirdo couple in their mid-30s (the husband plays in this band) and they enjoyed it as well.

Nothing about Founders' ethos or marketing suggests they target mainstream frat boys. From their website in the "Who We Are" section:

"We don’t brew beer for the masses. Instead, our beers are crafted for a chosen few, a small cadre of...rebels who enjoy a beer that pushes the limits of what is commonly accepted as taste. In short, we make beer for people like us."

Go on about how they cater to kids who do keg stands at frat parties though.
atomeyes wrote: i'd rather you tell me that beer A is a great beer to have on a summer day after i mow my lawn instead of saying "you can totally crush that!" Just my opinion.
If this isn't nitpicking, I don't know what is.

Anyway, for those who like hoppy, sessionable pales, I highly recommend the Cruiser, and I also recommend that you don't down 20 of them (crushable as it is).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Per the Atomic objection, I think Session Ales are pretty damn old school. We should push them every silly way we can.

I don't care what we call them, they're great, and any marketing that makes crushable, shotgunnable, drinking off the tits of strippers all night and party every day beers popular & good & affordable is A-OK by me.

Contact with the Frat Demographic remains optional.
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Belgian wrote:Per the Atomic objection...
Someone needs to brew The Atomic Objection ASAP.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

JerCraigs wrote:
Would it be a Session Ale?? Or some new style perhaps?
"There's always money in the banana stand."

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Regardless of the phrasing these All Day IPA/Pale Ale's just aren't doing it for me anymore. At first I thought it was cool but now they all just seem like juice with very little body. What can I say, I just like beer to have some body/substance to it.

"But this 2.3% beer actually has flavour!" Well so does my piss and it's 0%. (Well more like 1% but that's another story :P )
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Regardless of the phrasing these All Day IPA/Pale Ale's just aren't doing it for me anymore. At first I thought it was cool but now they all just seem like juice with very little body. What can I say, I just like beer to have some body/substance to it.

"But this 2.3% beer actually has flavour!" Well so does my piss and it's 0%. (Well more like 1% but that's another story :P )
Couldn't agree more. Most smell awesome but I feel cheated with regards to every thing else I love about beer. Not to say there aren't great low abv beers, but I wouldn't put very many session IPA's in that category. It's pretty much the only style I wish would just die.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

boney wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Regardless of the phrasing these All Day IPA/Pale Ale's just aren't doing it for me anymore. At first I thought it was cool but now they all just seem like juice with very little body. What can I say, I just like beer to have some body/substance to it.

Couldn't agree more. Most smell awesome but I feel cheated with regards to every thing else I love about beer. Not to say there aren't great low abv beers, but I wouldn't put very many session IPA's in that category. It's pretty much the only style I wish would just die.
well, american light lagers and premium lagers. i wish them a speedy death. especially in ontario.

i like DIPAs. booze plus hops equals a great tasting combo. IMO, it's like drinking a cask IPA. what's the point. carbonation works well with hop punchiness. take that away and you're drinking warm, flat hop juice.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Kish84 wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:
Would it be a Session Ale?? Or some new style perhaps?
a crushable, all-day imperial stout. 13% abv. crush that fucker. JUST CRUSH IT.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: What can I say, I just like beer to have some body/substance to it.
Like Stone Hammer Light, right? :lol:

In all seriousness, the Cruiser might be more up your alley than something like Stay Classy, since at 4.9% it's within the standard ABV for an APA and has plenty of body for the weight.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

cratez wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote: What can I say, I just like beer to have some body/substance to it.
Like Stone Hammer Light, right? :lol:

In all seriousness, the Cruiser might be more up your alley than something like Stay Classy, since at 4.9% it's within the standard ABV for an APA and has plenty of body for the weight.
Well I haven't worked for Stone Hammer in 10 months, but selling a light lager doesn't mean that's my beverage of choice. And I of course have every intention of trying Cruiser, and I hope I enjoy it. However I just like those flavours with a bit more body, like Rhyme & Reason, as compared to say Detour.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

boney wrote:It's pretty much the only style I wish would just die.
Not liking a style is fine, but I don't see any rationale for wishing a style to die? :-?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
boney wrote:It's pretty much the only style I wish would just die.
Not liking a style is fine, but I don't see any rationale for wishing a style to die? :-?
Don't tell me what I can irrationally hate, God damn whippersnapper!

Session IPA's would be fine by me if the vast majority of them were any good, which I find they are not. I personally have little use for the style because it takes tap space, shelf space and brewing effort away from styles that I enjoy more. So that's my rationale. But this is just an opinion, however, as taste is subjective and people can like or dislike whatever they choose.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

boney wrote:Session IPA's would be fine by me if the vast majority of them were any good, which I find they are not. I personally have little use for the style because it takes tap space, shelf space and brewing effort away from styles that I enjoy more. So that's my rationale. But this is just an opinion, however, as taste is subjective and people can like or dislike whatever they choose.
I've enjoyed the session IPAs. Most hops selections have been nice and floral. Not too bitter. Nice to have a few beers without getting too buzzed.

But I wouldn't want to have something like five taps devoted to them out of whatever sized lineup. Actually I'd say that for any beer style. I like variety. Too much of the same thing is boring. Exception being a themed tap takeover where you know going in what you're getting.
lister

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I think like most styles, some I like some I don't...cruiser strikes me as more of a happy pale ale and it's delicious. Fresh detour is also great. Stay Classy though was never really my thing...Still happy the style is there as an option. Sometimes you want a hope fix without a 7% beer.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Beers at 7% and above give me the most hope though! Or give me a buzz faster. Same thing really.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo