Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

skootles wrote:Yeah I think you'll be fine. The bottle says 3585 bottles and it's not a big name release so I'd imagine it'll last a couple days. I was there around 11:15 picking up mine and there wasn't anyone else there getting bottles.
It probably lasts more than a couple of days. What was the bottle count on Barn Owl 2? It lasted well over a week.

skootles

Post by skootles »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: It probably lasts more than a couple of days. What was the bottle count on Barn Owl 2? It lasted well over a week.
3472 bottles according to the Barn Owl #2 label, so you're probably right.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

skootles wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote: It probably lasts more than a couple of days. What was the bottle count on Barn Owl 2? It lasted well over a week.
3472 bottles according to the Barn Owl #2 label, so you're probably right.
The key difference being that Barn Owl #2 had a 4 bottle limit. Will be interesting to see how long this one lasts.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Quite a bit left as of 5:30 PM. Definitely safe if you want to get some tomorrow.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Anyone try this new release yet?

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

BakaGaijin wrote:Anyone try this new release yet?
Yeah, I did. I had mixed feelings. I didn't love it so much at first. Got a few metallic notes that seemed a bit off. As it warmed, the funk and peach expressed itself considerably more which made it more interesting and flavorful. Seemed perhaps a rather limited temperature window in which I would enjoy it before it got too warm.

Overall, I'm not going to rush back to get more, but I'm not going to start trying to get rid of the other 3. A this price point, I think I prefer other beers.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

napoleon wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Anyone try this new release yet?
Yeah, I did. I had mixed feelings. I didn't love it so much at first. Got a few metallic notes that seemed a bit off. As it warmed, the funk and peach expressed itself considerably more which made it more interesting and flavorful. Seemed perhaps a rather limited temperature window in which I would enjoy it before it got too warm.

Overall, I'm not going to rush back to get more, but I'm not going to start trying to get rid of the other 3. A this price point, I think I prefer other beers.
I have a theory that Bellwood's partly prices beers based on how they think they turned out. This beer being Barrel Aged and fruited could have easily been listed at $12....so why would they price it at $9?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

BakaGaijin wrote: I have a theory that Bellwood's partly prices beers based on how they think they turned out. This beer being Barrel Aged and fruited could have easily been listed at $12....so why would they price it at $9?
Do you think that 9/11 was an inside job? :D

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

FYI, the barrel-aged Monogamy is still available today. In fact, not much else in the bottle shop.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote: I have a theory that Bellwood's partly prices beers based on how they think they turned out. This beer being Barrel Aged and fruited could have easily been listed at $12....so why would they price it at $9?
Do you think that 9/11 was an inside job? :D
No, but, I haven't really put much thought into it.

Anyways, finally had this last night and thought it was rather bland. Should have been priced even lower! :D

skootles

Post by skootles »

New details for the Lambda release this Friday:
Lambda, our brett barrel aged quad will be released in bottles on Friday at 11am. Complex, rich, and full-bodied with subtle brett aromatics, notes of sherry, red grape, raisin, and caramel -- at 12% it's a beer to get you through the winter ahead. 1 year in barrels, $12 each, just under 4000 bottles, and a limit of 1 case/person. #bellwoodsbeer
Important note: 1 case = 12 beers according to Bellwoods.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

skootles wrote:New details for the Lambda release this Friday:
Lambda, our brett barrel aged quad will be released in bottles on Friday at 11am. Complex, rich, and full-bodied with subtle brett aromatics, notes of sherry, red grape, raisin, and caramel -- at 12% it's a beer to get you through the winter ahead. 1 year in barrels, $12 each, just under 4000 bottles, and a limit of 1 case/person. #bellwoodsbeer
Important note: 1 case = 12 beers according to Bellwoods.
Now that's interesting. I think they must be a little worried that their barrel-aged monogamy isn't selling. Not many of their bottle releases last almost a week. I tried a Lambda from last year recently, and the number one thing I got off it was sweetness. I'll give them rich too. The brett aromatics must have been too subtle for me or didn't last a year. I'll buy one on release day, give it a try, and then evaluate purchasing more. Definitely NOT spending $144 on beer this Friday.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Count me as someone who didn't love the brett barrel aged Monogamy. I've always been on the fence regarding brett beers, but Cherry Farmageddon, Barn Owl #1 and Warp & Weft were all excellent. I regretted only buying one bottle of each since I liked them so much. I bought three bottles of the brett Monogamy trying to learn from previous mistakes, and wish I had stuck to my usual 1 bottle.

I'll skip Lambda and I know from previous experience that I don't care for Donkey Venom. Brett in a porter just wasn't for me. I will however, be buying 3 Minutes to Midnight as barrel aged stouts are a favourite of mine.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

^^^^
You should be able to trade those extra bottles if you don't want them in a few months. Someone else will want them.

I really wish Bellwood's would have some taster samples available when they do these releases. I drive all the way from the burbs for these releases....it would be nice to be able to sample said beer so I can judge how many I really want to buy.

Looks like Lambda is $12. They most think this one turned out well... :P

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

They normally have the releases on tap in the bar next door, don't they? You could probably just walk over and ask for a taste.