Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Have to admit I've pretty much given up on Nickel Brook. Too bad as I enjoyed them back in the day. Something seems off now, though.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Tough for breweries to remain where they were as they get older/larger. Lots of good alternatives, though.

I had their root beer a while back and it had all the spices, except the one that matters-sarsaparilla.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Had a Headstock recently, was pretty good.

Also had a WCIPA with a goose on the label around Xmas that I liked.
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

midlife crisis wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:04 am Have to admit I've pretty much given up on Nickel Brook. Too bad as I enjoyed them back in the day. Something seems off now, though.

I’m kind of the same opinion….i tend to just gloss over them if I’m in the LCBO grabbing stuff. Unlike most, I was never a big headstock guy to begin with. All this being said, someone at a party around Xmas time gave me the one with the goose on it(uncle goose, maybe) and it was solid, as well as the Winter Wizard? It was also decent.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

I am still a big fan of NickelBrook IPAs.
As far as WCIPAs go, Headstock is still great.
Winter Wizard was excellent. Uncle Goose pretty good too.

They have a very nice taproom in Burlington ( Mainway, west of Walkers )

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

hopdevil wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:23 pm They have a very nice taproom in Burlington ( Mainway, west of Walkers )
I have been once and it is a nice & lively spot. I wish it was more transit accessible!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:46 pm Nickel Brook has re-branded their No Bad Daze Easy Going Lager to simply Easy Going Lager.

Hmmmm. Can't think of why.
Turns out it isn't re-branding, but a replacement.

"Please note that this new brew will be replacing our "No Bad Daze - Easy-Goin' Lager". You can still purchase No Bad Daze at select grocery locations until May 2024."

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:58 am
S. St. Jeb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:46 pm Nickel Brook has re-branded their No Bad Daze Easy Going Lager to simply Easy Going Lager.

"Please note that this new brew will be replacing our "No Bad Daze - Easy-Goin' Lager". You can still purchase No Bad Daze at select grocery locations until May 2024."
So the beer is changing not just the name?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

JerCraigs wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:01 pm
S. St. Jeb wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:58 am

So the beer is changing not just the name?
That’s the way I read it.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I used to drink more Nickel Brook as well. I'd mostly go to stock up on their root beer, and then grab a mix of some other stuff that was available at the time.
The Kentucky Bastard would always draw me in too.
I don't really get excited by their newer offerings, and their overall branding now.
Oh well!