Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

S M A
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:51 pm
Location: Burlington

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby S M A » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:53 pm

S. St. Jeb wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Keep 6 bringing in La Orange De Dunham is going revive this thread...

Had to look that one up.

:o

Can't see that making to the LCBO shelves.


Ha ha ha. I did too, and that's hilarious. Thank you Keep6. OK, all the offended, what say you? Empowering break from stereotype (woman smoking and drinking beer with an expression of ennui), or blatant objectification (big jugs)?

The same way, I don't know how to feel about the Dad bod thing. I mean, does its prevalence mean that society is becoming more accepting of non-washboard abs? Or is it a negative stereotype that will eventually crush my resistance and force me to spend my afternoons lounging in a wading pool? It's all so confusing.

Oh, and Orange de Dunham seems to be available online-only, so I guess it won't have to be on shelves. Not sure how much difference that makes.
User avatar
Napalm Frog
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 9:01 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby Napalm Frog » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:48 am

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Keep 6 bringing in La Orange De Dunham is going revive this thread...



Ohhhhhhh boy


It's up on the LCBO website for online order, no shelf release as far as I know. Usually the put bottle pics for online releases, but not this one...
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 pm
Location: Burlington, ON

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby S. St. Jeb » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Nickel Brook is updating some of their cans, including Naughty Neighbour. Picture is here.

https://nickelbrook.store/collections/beer?page=3
User avatar
Blasphomet
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby Blasphomet » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Looks like shit.

That's a shame.
portwood
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Markham
Contact:

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby portwood » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Blasphomet wrote:Looks like shit.

in other words
fits right in with the rest of their labels ...
@markhamwhisky
Masterplan
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby Masterplan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 am

This thread always delivers.
User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1645
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby Tapsucker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:15 pm

portwood wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Looks like shit.

in other words
fits right in with the rest of their labels ...


They're probably trying to distance themselves from Collective Arts. 8)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.
ChrisK
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 3:07 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby ChrisK » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:33 pm

Masterplan wrote:This thread always delivers.


I'm just happy we finally figured out who gives the fewest shits about beer label art. Mission accomplished, boys.
User avatar
skaghevn
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2001 7:00 pm

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby skaghevn » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:28 pm

This is currently on shelves at the 'BO. If you thought the old art for Naughty Neighbour was sexist....

Image
User avatar
Blasphomet
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby Blasphomet » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Anyone who thought the Naughty Neighbour or Immodest labels were sexist is the softest millennial do-gooder there is. Nickel Brook wimped out big time on that one and the new cans are try-hard and look horrendous as fuck. I haven't seen or heard any women complain. Just dudes that are trying so hard on behalf of the women who didn't ask for their help or opinions of what is or isn't sexist. Typical 2019.

The whole thing actually turned my off of Nickel Brook quite a bit. Folding to pressure of the few in the name of political correctness, and I don't plan on buying any of their beer any time soon. A real shame.
portwood
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Markham
Contact:

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby portwood » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Blasphomet wrote:Anyone who thought the Naughty Neighbour or Immodest labels were sexist is the softest millennial do-gooder there is. Nickel Brook wimped out big time on that one and the new cans are try-hard and look horrendous as fuck. I haven't seen or heard any women complain. Just dudes that are trying so hard on behalf of the women who didn't ask for their help or opinions of what is or isn't sexist. Typical 2019.

The whole thing actually turned my off of Nickel Brook quite a bit. Folding to pressure of the few in the name of political correctness, and I don't plan on buying any of their beer any time soon. A real shame.

"soft do-gooder millennials" are out to lunch but it
sounds like YOU know what is and isn't sexist
thanks for enlightening us with your great and unmatched wisdom
:roll:
@markhamwhisky
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9749
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Sexism ideology

Postby Belgian » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:57 pm

portwood wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Anyone who thought the Naughty Neighbour or Immodest labels were sexist is the softest millennial do-gooder there is. Nickel Brook wimped out big time on that one and the new cans are try-hard and look horrendous as fuck. I haven't seen or heard any women complain. Just dudes that are trying so hard on behalf of the women who didn't ask for their help or opinions of what is or isn't sexist. Typical 2019.

The whole thing actually turned my off of Nickel Brook quite a bit. Folding to pressure of the few in the name of political correctness, and I don't plan on buying any of their beer any time soon. A real shame.

"soft do-gooder millennials" are out to lunch but it sounds like YOU know what is and isn't sexist
thanks for enlightening us with your great and unmatched wisdom
:roll:

Just opinions I think - all part of this 'free speech' thing we still sort of have in Trudeau-nanny Canada.

People 'self-censoring' their opinions to avoid slightly offending anyone at all in any possible case would, unfortunately & ironically be the ultimate safe-space / millennial cliché. It underestimates and patronizes people.

On the other hand I think your response offering different views is great - at least speaking for yourself of course, as we all do.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1645
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Sexism ideology

Postby Tapsucker » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:19 pm

Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Anyone who thought the Naughty Neighbour or Immodest labels were sexist is the softest millennial do-gooder there is. Nickel Brook wimped out big time on that one and the new cans are try-hard and look horrendous as fuck. I haven't seen or heard any women complain. Just dudes that are trying so hard on behalf of the women who didn't ask for their help or opinions of what is or isn't sexist. Typical 2019.

The whole thing actually turned my off of Nickel Brook quite a bit. Folding to pressure of the few in the name of political correctness, and I don't plan on buying any of their beer any time soon. A real shame.

"soft do-gooder millennials" are out to lunch but it sounds like YOU know what is and isn't sexist
thanks for enlightening us with your great and unmatched wisdom
:roll:

Just opinions I think - all part of this 'free speech' thing we still sort of have in Trudeau-nanny Canada.

People 'self-censoring' their opinions to avoid slightly offending anyone at all in any possible case would, unfortunately & ironically be the ultimate safe-space / millennial cliché. It underestimates and patronizes people.

On the other hand I think your response offering different views is great - at least speaking for yourself of course, as we all do.


Wow. We used to just get tribal and riled up about beer. I miss those days. :wink:
Brands are for cattle.

Fans are cash cows.

The herd will consume until consumed.
User avatar
cratez
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2216
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Sexism ideology

Postby cratez » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:51 am

Tapsucker wrote: Wow. We used to just get tribal and riled up about beer. I miss those days. :wink:

LOL! This is very true. I can't say I miss those days, though. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
User avatar
Blasphomet
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Sexism in beer labels in Ontario

Postby Blasphomet » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:17 pm

portwood wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Anyone who thought the Naughty Neighbour or Immodest labels were sexist is the softest millennial do-gooder there is. Nickel Brook wimped out big time on that one and the new cans are try-hard and look horrendous as fuck. I haven't seen or heard any women complain. Just dudes that are trying so hard on behalf of the women who didn't ask for their help or opinions of what is or isn't sexist. Typical 2019.

The whole thing actually turned my off of Nickel Brook quite a bit. Folding to pressure of the few in the name of political correctness, and I don't plan on buying any of their beer any time soon. A real shame.

"soft do-gooder millennials" are out to lunch but it
sounds like YOU know what is and isn't sexist
thanks for enlightening us with your great and unmatched wisdom
:roll:



You're welcome!

Return to “Ontario Brewers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests