Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Steam Whistle brewer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Steam Whistle Brewing
Introduces
MATTHEW FRADEN LETKI
A Brewmaster With A Difference

Steam Whistle is proud of its premium Pilsner, made with only four natural ingredients. But there is a fifth ingredient, unwritten on the back of the bottle, which makes all the difference and that is the Brewmaster’s passion. This love for the art of brewing, this thirst for knowledge is behind every bottle of Steam Whistle brew. You’ll find this quality among the Good Beer Folks, and you’ll most certainly find it in the new Brewmaster, Matthew Fraden Letki.

Highly energetic and very accomplished, Letki is a classically trained Brewmaster who tirelessly seeks insight into the art of brewing. He is a graduate of the Brewing Technology program at the University of Sunderland, England. A veteran brewer, Letki has worked at a number of reputable breweries in England and Canada, among them: Bass in Tadcaster, Yorkshire; Mansfield Brewery in Nottinghamshire; Bushy's Brewery on the Isle of Mann; Phoenix Brewery in Lancashire; Hart Brewery in Ottawa; Hogtown Brewery in Mississauga; and the Gordon Biersch Brew Pub Group across North America.

When he arrived at Steam Whistle Brewing in the fall of 2003, Letki inherited an award-winning recipe from retiring Brewmaster, Harald Sowade, but he was also handed rapidly increasing sales and a relatively small brewhouse. Letki quickly began researching new equipment with the right balance of tradition-bound brewing methods and technological advancements. The brewhouse will be given a facelift in the next few weeks, in time for summer’s phenomenal demand for the refreshing brew. And a new, state-of-the-art filler has been ordered which will increase bottling line output and provide the ultimate in product freshness.

While technology is an important part of Letki’s modus operandi, training plays a matching role. One can never have too much knowledge, so Letki recently played host to one of Europe’s top brewing consultants (a regular contributor to such breweries as Interbrew, Guinness, Bavaria, and Heineken) who imparted his knowledge to help ensure Steam Whistle upholds the same rigorous standards as Europe’s best breweries.

Letki will be sending his current brewing staff to a week-long brewing process seminar at Laboritoire Maska in Quebec. Always thinking progressively, Letki will also be training Steam Whistle’s first female brewer, Liz Fitzgerald, one of only a handful in Ontario.

Like many of Steam Whistle’s diverse staff, Letki 's prowess as a brewer is but one side of his eclectic nature. Musically, he is a Gaelic Celtic one-man band, proficient in the Scottish small pipes, Irish flute, the tinwhistle and Bodhran folk drum. He is also a robust singer of Gaelic lyric. His other interests include snowboarding and canoeing. Letki resides in Toronto with his wife, a visual artist, and their three children.

As Steam Whistle continues to gather a following across Canada, parts of Europe and Australia, it is proud to include a passionate Brewmaster as part of its package. Letki’s mandate highlights a continued dedication to deliver Canada's Premium Pilsner as far as the science and art of brewing will allow.

DukeofYork = Richard

Post by DukeofYork = Richard »

Must ... not ... use ... sarcasm!

If he's reading this, though, I give my best wishes. It seems like working for a one-brew company, without any seasonals, would be kinda boring ... but what do I know? I've never worked in the industry at all.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Sounds like this dude's all about the science of brewing, sure, but his resume isn't that impressive. As for the art of brewing, show me a guy who's trained under Dany Prignon, Jean-Louis Dits, maybe the monks of Weltenberg, or if he's making lager perhaps Starobrno, or a village brewer in Franconia. Then I'll be impressed!

Sorry, but Steamwhistle has never impressed me yet and I'd be surprised if it ever did. They're here to make money and they do it well. But they're not here to make great beer.

Matthew Letki

Post by Matthew Letki »

Sounds like this dude's all about the science of brewing,
Well, the science of it is very important, perhaps as important as the art of it.
but his resume isn't that impressive. As for the art of brewing, show me a guy who's trained under...
Not a very nice thing to say from someone who has never seen my resume and who has no idea about the extremely talented folks (both in Canada and Europe) who I apprenticed and mentored under.
Sorry, but Steamwhistle has never impressed me yet and I'd be surprised if it ever did.
Well that's quite open minded isn't it!
They're here to make money and they do it well. But they're not here to make great beer.
Well, that's just nasty, for no reason. Every business wants to be sucessful and there is nothing wrong with that, and in terms of making great beer, I can tell you that I spend every day working on making the best beer that I can. I work VERY hard to make great beer, as do the rest of my team. If you don't like the beer, then that's just fine, I wouldn't want to make a beer which appealed to everyone and I don't pretend to, but don't go around making stuff up about our brewery, which clearly you have no idea about.

It seems to me that you must have some personal vendetta against all things Steam Whistle, which is a shame as we are really a nice bunch of folks doing our best to run a very challenging business and make great beer. Come down to the Roundhouse someday, I'd happily show you around and pour you a pint from one of the lagering vessels.

Cheers,
Reverend Letki
Brewmaster, Steam Whistle Brewing

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Reverend Letki? Is that an official title? That's sort of cool.

burgermeister

Post by burgermeister »

Matthew Letki wrote:
It seems to me that you must have some personal vendetta against all things Steam Whistle, which is a shame as we are really a nice bunch of folks doing our best to run a very challenging business and make great beer. Come down to the Roundhouse someday, I'd happily show you around and pour you a pint from one of the lagering vessels....
Welcome to the board Reverend - and to Steam Whistle for that matter. I do suggest you untwist your shorts just a bit though. There are a number of pretty opinionated folks on the board when it comes to beer and don't hold back when voicing those opinions - good, bad, or indifferent. Can sometimes get a little bloody, but it's all in good fun. And believe it or not, most of the guys here seem really enthusiastic about having people in the industry involved - so don't let the negative comments impact your participation. Think of it as "constructive" critisism - even though it's probably more like "constructive lite" - more heavy on the critisism. :wink:

Welcome.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Welcome to the internet and the curmudgeons who reside there, Matthew :)

Seriously, though. Can you honestly say that the Steamwhistle brew represents your ideal of the 'ultimate' pilsner?

borderline_alcoholic

Post by borderline_alcoholic »

burgermeister wrote:I do suggest you untwist your shorts just a bit though. There are a number of pretty opinionated folks on the board when it comes to beer and don't hold back when voicing those opinions - good, bad, or indifferent.
Yeah, but in this instance he was responding to a post which, in addition to giving a perfectly valid opinion on Steam Whistle, also included an unqualified direct attack on his professional credentials on a public forum. Personally, I think he was entirely warranted to respond however he saw fit.

If the Reverend Letki is who I think he is, he did brew an excellent Maibock for Gordon Biersch last year. This year's offering (and indeed everything in the current GB line) pales in comparison IMHO. As such, I wish Mr Letki luck in his endeavours at Steam Whistle. I too have been somewhat underwhelmed by Steam Whistle up until now, but I will be interested to see what the Reverend does there. And I would hope that once they feel he has gotten their Pilsner up to whatever standard they are looking for, that they allow him to brew some other beers too.

Matthew Letki

Post by Matthew Letki »

Thanks for the welcome folks... Yes, I am the former Brewmaster from GB Whitby. Cheers to all who came out to support me while I was there, and yes the Maibock was tasty, wasn't it.

mustang3

Post by mustang3 »

Matthew, 2 questions:

1) Is it boring to work for a 1 beer company with no seasonals?
2)Any plans to change that policy?

borderline_alcoholic

Matthew Letki wrote:Thanks for the welcome folks... Yes, I am the former Brewmaster from GB Whitby. Cheers to all who came out to support me while I was there, and yes the Maibock was tasty, wasn't it.
Yes, indeed it was. If it could be replicated in the future, I would be ecstatic (and as I often point out I am not the greatest fan of Bavarian styles in the world, but I do appreciate quality).

I am glad to see you posting on this board. Please try not to be too discouraged by the occassional insulting drivel that appears to be standard here every once in a while. I do hope that we get to hear more from you and I look forward to seeing what you achieve at Steam Whistle.

Best wishes.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Matthew Letki wrote:
Sounds like this dude's all about the science of brewing,
Well, the science of it is very important, perhaps as important as the art of it.
but his resume isn't that impressive. As for the art of brewing, show me a guy who's trained under...
Not a very nice thing to say from someone who has never seen my resume and who has no idea about the extremely talented folks (both in Canada and Europe) who I apprenticed and mentored under.
Sorry, but Steamwhistle has never impressed me yet and I'd be surprised if it ever did.
Well that's quite open minded isn't it!
They're here to make money and they do it well. But they're not here to make great beer.
Well, that's just nasty, for no reason. Every business wants to be sucessful and there is nothing wrong with that, and in terms of making great beer, I can tell you that I spend every day working on making the best beer that I can. I work VERY hard to make great beer, as do the rest of my team. If you don't like the beer, then that's just fine, I wouldn't want to make a beer which appealed to everyone and I don't pretend to, but don't go around making stuff up about our brewery, which clearly you have no idea about.

It seems to me that you must have some personal vendetta against all things Steam Whistle, which is a shame as we are really a nice bunch of folks doing our best to run a very challenging business and make great beer. Come down to the Roundhouse someday, I'd happily show you around and pour you a pint from one of the lagering vessels.

Cheers,
Reverend Letki
Brewmaster, Steam Whistle Brewing
First, let me welcome you to the site, Matthew. However, I have to interject to defend Josh here since he is off circumnavigating the globe.

The résumé to which Josh was referring appears in the press release, and as such doesn't make Josh's comment an "unqualified direct attack on [your] his professional credentials" as borderline has suggested. These credentials were included in the press release in order to impress, and if someone finds them unimpressive that's par for the course. His comment about your scientific approach references, I think, your technological "modus operandi" which the release celebrates.

Josh probably has more knowledge about the art of beer than anyone on the site, having sampled and rated more beer than any of us here save Stephen Beaument. He has traveled the world in pursuit of beer, as he is off doing it again. He knows his stuff, and he is perhaps the world's preeminent amateur beer writer (He is editor at http://www.ratebeer.com). He is very objective when it comes to sampling and rating, and he is always willing to give a beer and brewery a second chance. He didn't say you wouldn't/couldn't impress him, he just said he'd be surprised if you did.

His comment about making money reflects your company's history and marketing strategy. Steam Whistle has been very adept at positioning itself in the Ontario market, and there is nothing wrong with that. Molsons and Labatts are about making money, and I don't need inside information to know that. Nonetheless, no one could compare the beer itself to the great pilsners of the world (Pilsner Urquell, Budweiser Budvar, Victory Prima Pils, etc.). This, I believe, goes beyond personal taste. One might prefer the taste of Steam Whistle, just like one might prefer Blue or Canadian. (Note: I find Steam Whistle infinitely better than any of the Molsons or Labatts products that I've tried)

I know you are trying "to make the best beer you can." I don't doubt your sincerity. I've toured your brewery and found everyone very nice. And, I sincerely hope that you will prove Josh wrong about your making great beer. I wish you all the best, and welcome you to the forum. And, I hope you take this post in the spirit in which it was meant.

Joe

PS May I offer one last piece of advice. Sometimes it's better to quote the cliché "let sleeping dogs lie." This thread has been dead since April 6. No one on the board was paying attention to it. You brought it to the fore, and you gave those who find your beer underwhelming an opportunity to say so.

borderline_alcoholic

joey_capps wrote:The résumé to which Josh was referring appears in the press release,
That's not a resume, that's a press release from Mr Letki's employer. The two things are entirely different. Furthermore, nowhere in Mr Oakes' post does it state even that much, which is why his attack is totally unqualified.

All it does is state that Mr Letki's resume is unimpressive and does not qualify that with *anything* specific.
and as such doesn't make Josh's comment an "unqualified direct attack on [your] his professional credentials" as borderline has suggested.
Yes, that is exactly what it makes it until Josh chooses to qualify it by stating exactly what he is picking apart instead of allowing us all to second guess it.

In its current form it is a professional slur without any given justification, other than the implicit "Mr Letki works for Steamwhistle now, I don't like Steamwhistle so he is unimpressive".
Josh probably has more knowledge about the art of beer than anyone on the site, having sampled and rated more beer than any of us here save Stephen Beaument.
How can you even presume to suggest that you know how much sampling of beer everyone else on this site has or has not done?

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

borderline_alcoholic wrote:
joey_capps wrote:The résumé to which Josh was referring appears in the press release,
That's not a resume, that's a press release from Mr Letki's employer. The two things are entirely different. Furthermore, nowhere in Mr Oakes' post does it state even that much, which is why his attack is totally unqualified.

All it does is state that Mr Letki's resume is unimpressive and does not qualify that with *anything* specific.
and as such doesn't make Josh's comment an "unqualified direct attack on [your] his professional credentials" as borderline has suggested.
Yes, that is exactly what it makes it until Josh chooses to qualify it by stating exactly what he is picking apart instead of allowing us all to second guess it.

In its current form it is a professional slur without any given justification, other than the implicit "Mr Letki works for Steamwhistle now, I don't like Steamwhistle so he is unimpressive".
Josh probably has more knowledge about the art of beer than anyone on the site, having sampled and rated more beer than any of us here save Stephen Beaument.
How would you presume to suggest that you know how much sampling of beer everyone else on this site has or has not done?
First, it is a résumé in a general sense, it is not a totally different thing. The reference is implicit in the context of the discussion/thread.

Second, I presume nothing. I did qualify my statement with the word probably. Though, I would bet dollars to donuts that Josh has sampled more beers, from more countries around the world that anyone else who posts regularly on the site (save Stephen). Prove me wrong.

The purpose of my post was to defend Josh in his absence to what was a brief, informal post in the context of a discussion over three months ago. And, remember that "The Bar Towel is a opinionated guide to Toronto's beer culture and the bars, brewpubs and breweries" (my empasis).

Cheers, Joe.

borderline_alcoholic

joey_capps wrote:First, it is a résumé in a general sense, it is not a totally different thing.
A reference is there to sell an individual, listing skills and other items of significance. A press release's purpose is to sell the major decisions of a company as a good thing to the financial marketplace. As such the emphases are different and what you leave in and take out are also very different. A press release is not designed to make Mr Letki look good to a beer drinker, it is there to make his employment look impressive to other corporate entities who might want to invest in Steam Whistle.

Thus if Mr Oakes is indeed arguing about the impressiveness or otherwise of Mr Letki's brewing resume based solely on the career details within the above quoted press release, his comments are both unfair and very dubiously founded.
The reference is implicit in the context of the discussion/thread.
And then explicitly discarded by Mr Oakes when he referenced another document, Mr Letki's resume.
Second, I presume nothing. I did qualify my statement with the word probably.
Then I apologise for my remark.
Though, I would bet dollars to donuts that Josh has sampled more beers, from more countries around the world that anyone else who posts regularly on the site (save Stephen). Prove me wrong.
I don't have to prove anything. I have not just made a wild assertion as to the level of experience of *everyone* else on this board based on limited evidence. You have, only qualifying it with "probably" in the first instance and in the context of a bet in the second.

As I have no idea as to how many beers Josh has sampled, nor those of other posters, and nor do I actually care, it is unlikely that I will waste my time trying to disprove it.

All that I will say are:

1) How dare you make any comment on anyone else's level of experience, much less everyone's, without pretty solid evidence to back that up?

2) I do not actually have quite the respect for someone's opinion of a beer who has travelled somewhere, tried it once and then written it up. As with most things, I think that good beers should be sampled over time ideally in the context of the environment from which they come. Thus, I have rather less time for a travelling beer writer's opinion than I do for that of a well-informed local. (Unless the beer writer happens to stop off and sample the new beers over the course of a couple of years in each location before writing up those opinions.)

Also, in an age of distributed communication, local opinions are not impossible to get hold of, so this is far from impossible and I suspect over time will eclipse those beer writers who choose to generalise to "everything in the world" as opposed to a more specific remit. That is just natural when communication technology expands in the way it has.

As such, I do not hold the opinions of either Messrs Beaumont or Oakes as being quite as authoritative as some people on here. I do greatly respect the efforts that they have both gone to in their own personal pursuit of beer and I am not about to question how knowledgable they are, merely the definitiveness of their opinions.

That said, however, you tend to find that people in Countries which are known for their beer and beer culture in particular do not tend to write about them as they are far too busy actually drinking and enjoying them.

Anyway, I digress.
The purpose of my post was to defend Josh in his absence to what was a brief, informal post in the context of a discussion over three months ago.
What exactly is preventing Mr Oakes from replying personally? The www in the URL does still stand for *world-wide* web unless I have missed something pretty vital. Failing that, there is nothing to prevent him responding once he does return if he sees fit to do so.
And, remember that "The Bar Towel is a opinionated guide to Toronto's beer culture and the bars, brewpubs and breweries" (my empasis).
There is a difference between opionated and being professionally insulting to an individual on a public forum. There is also a difference between opinionated and libellous. In the event that someone whose opinion is respected in my field were to make a similarly unqualified and IMHO unreasonable condemnation of my own professional expertise on a site which is read by many people who work in the industry that I do, especially if the industry were as small and immature as that of the Ontario Microbreweries, I would very much be looking into taking legal action against Cass over his publishing of those remarks and I would likely also take similar action against the author had he not just fled the Country. As such, I think that Mr Letki has actually been pretty generous in his response. Far more so than I would be.

Let us not confuse things. Josh stated that Mr Letki's resume is unimpressive and then went on to list the sorts of people who he would find impressive. AFAIK, nobody working in the field of brewing within Ontario meets these criteria, nor IMHO is anyone likely to in the near future. As Mr Letki works within Ontario it is not unreasonable that he be judged against his peers here. I think that within that (not unreasonable IMHO) context, having been trained and gaining experience from (any) successful breweries within England actually could be very easily and justifiably argued as being impressive and will certainly make him stand-out in this niche marketplace. With that in mind, I think that the owners of this site would have some difficulty in justifying why it is publishing remarks from a respected amateur critic that Mr Letki's experience is unimpressive.

Also, given that I am not a brewer, I personally would not have the balls to comment negatively on a professional brewer's level of experience or any professional in their own field if it differed to my own come to that. I regard such comments as being extremely insulting. I will merely limit myself to commenting on their beers, which as a drinker I am fully entitled to do.