Bar Volo 2.0

Post your own brewpub, pub and restaurant reviews here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Bar Volo 2.0

Postby lister » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:10 am

The girlfriend and I stopped in for a pint during our Nuit Blanche romp on Saturday.

The space looks really nice. It's divided into two. The main area with the bar and seating and towards the back on the left additional seating and standing areas plus the washrooms. Similar A-Z taps as before and up to six casks. Beer selection is more broad than the College location. Didn't try any food but there's more food here than at the College location. Service is at the bar which I hate. Especially since people still hang around it after getting their drink. That's irritating as fuck. GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY!

The casks chalk board needs work. It was really hard to read. I wish more bars would go with digital screens. In this case also for the taps listings. Some people should not be writing with chalk (I'll call out the Tequila Bookworm chalk writer too, yes, yes fancy writing that looks cool but it's really hard to read!)

The music really needs to be lowered. It doesn't have to be at library levels but it would be nice to be able to talk to someone without having to raise your voice significantly especially given the type of music typically played.

We will be back on a less busy night. Despite the nitpicky criticisms I'm glad Bar Volo is back. 8)
lister
Gleemer Imports

Re: Bar Volo 2.0

Postby Gleemer Imports » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:18 pm

arguably the nicest beer bar in the city.
The Moranas do it again
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Re: Bar Volo 2.0

Postby Belgian » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:50 pm

lister wrote:Service is at the bar which I hate. Especially since people still hang around it after getting their drink. That's irritating as fuck. GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY!

^ I like your way of putting things, LOL. And sounds like V2 need a designated bar service area.

lister immediately thereafter wrote:The casks chalk board needs work. It was really hard to read. I wish more bars would go with digital screens. In this case also for the taps listings. Some people should not be writing with chalk (I'll call out the Tequila Bookworm chalk writer too, yes, yes fancy writing that looks cool but it's really hard to read!))

Totally valid 'nitpick' and actually a big one for any bar. The tap list chalk board at Kingston Brewing is abysmal, doesn't show half of what they got, and the bartender refused to tell me what else they had, just gave me the snarky 'what style do you like?' That day I walked out and haven't returned in 4 years.

It's the opposite of advertising if they obscure what the bar is selling. I really think half of going out somewhere is not just the beer but the experience so details matter. (PS: I'll for sure go to KBC again, I would not write off this venerable spot just for a few annoying, contemptuous staff.)
In Beerum Veritas

Return to “Good Pub Reviews”