Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Alcohol regulation changes

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:23 pm I just saw a fairly brief article on CBC about upcoming changes to various rules and regulations. It included this paragraph about alcohol sales.

Ontario is also extending rules governing the purchase of alcohol across provincial borders. Consumers will be allowed to buy alcohol directly from businesses in other provinces until Jan. 1, 2026.

:o
So we can now order on-line directly from any brewery in Canada??
I was literally reading the very same thing in the Star! But I don't really understand what it means. Here's the wording from the gov site:
The Ontario government is amending the Liquor Licence and Control Act to extend the “sunset date” that permits the direct-to-consumer importation of alcohol from other provinces under the authority of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. The date will change from January 1, 2024, to January 1, 2026.
https://news.ontario.ca/en/backgrounder ... ary-1-2024

But what does it mean? That we are allowed to purchase directly from out of province breweries until Jan 2026? Or that after Jan 2026 we are then allowed, in other words not have to go through the LCBO?

I know of some out of province breweries that will ship to Ontario via their web stores. I wasn't sure if that was technically legal or not. Maybe this clarifies that?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'd love to be able to import from out of Province breweries directly. Does anyone know what the rules are for that in other provinces? It feels like that's the sort of thing the powers that be would want everyone to allow or nobody.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Some more links:

The change to the regulation is here:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/210745
Importation of liquor for lawful possession
25. The following circumstances are prescribed for the purposes of clause 39 (1) (d) of the Act:

3. The liquor is imported into Ontario from another province or territory of Canada by the LCBO or under its authority.

Note: On January 1, 2026, paragraph 3 of section 25 of the Regulation is revoked. (See: O. Reg. 745/21, s. 30; O. Reg. 564/22, s. 1; O. Reg. 382/23, s. 1)
And this is clause 39:

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/19l15b#BK46
Unlawful possession
39 (1) No person shall possess liquor unless,

(a) the liquor was purchased from a retail store for an individual’s personal use;

(b) the liquor is possessed under the authority of a licence or permit;

(c) the liquor was manufactured by an individual, in accordance with the law, for that individual’s personal use or for service at an event at which liquor may be served under the authority of a permit;

(d) the liquor was imported into Ontario in accordance with the regulations; or

(e) the liquor is possessed by or under the authority of the LCBO.
I *think* it could be read that they're ending the need for the LCBO to import from out of province, i.e. one would no longer have to go through LCBO private ordering. If that's the case and you could order directly from breweries and they could ship it to you would be pretty cool.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

There's probably a catch. Something along the lines of you would have to live in the greenbelt or every individual serving would have to be retail priced at $1.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I recall that issue going back a while, the owner of 4th & 7 had this or similar happen to him shortly before he decided to close shop (for unrelated personal reasons). A few local locations were under a tighter eye of the AGCO than others.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

That's a weird one for sure. I have never heard that was a requirement. Hope all's good with Dan now.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I seem to recall having to submit to a proctology exam at a Beer Store once, but that was just to return some empties.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tapsucker wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:07 pm I seem to recall having to submit to a proctology exam at a Beer Store once, but that was just to return some empties.
I was almost anticipating some humour from you on this. You didn’t disappoint. :D :D :D

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Interesting.
The only brewery I've successfully ordered from out of province is PEI Brewing / Gahan. Them and Upstreet Brewing both have "two" online shops.
One shop for in-province / local purchases, and another for orders from the rest of Canada.