Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2023 LCBO Summer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Found the Boon at my local LCBO, today (still not listed, online). I bought one bottle and just tried it.

I agree that it's not as good as the last batch, but I'm not sure it's a fair comparison, as my last batch has been in my cellar for a year and a half, and was bottled in 2020.

The new batch mostly seemed to be slightly lacking in finish. It seemed slightly sweeter than the 2020 batch.

Regardless, I think I'll pick up a couple of dozen. I know I'll regret it if I don't.

They also had the Brett-Elle Geuze. Haven't tried it yet. The clerk did a double take when the price came up. Probably wondering if it was supposed to be for a 4-pack. :D

As well, I picked up a Saison Dupont, which I had with dinner. That was a definite win, and I will be getting more. I haven't had it for ages.

Other purchases were a Westmalle Dubbel, Orval, Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen (no sign of the Hofbrau, unfortunately), Timmermans Lambicus Strawberry (not expecting much, as I recall these being quite sweet, in the past), and an Oast House Farmer's Tan IPA. Also not expecting much from the Oast House, as I've found their beers don't can very well.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had one of those strawberries last night. It was definitely sweet, but I still liked it well enough. Better than I was expecting!

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

I'm going to get a brett-elle to try, but it's priced the same as the Armand and Gaston, which is almost certainly better. Lambiek's prices need a few years to cellar.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Craig wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:05 pm I had one of those strawberries last night. It was definitely sweet, but I still liked it well enough. Better than I was expecting!
Just having mine, now, and I completely agree. A very pleasant surprise. Sweet, yet still has that lambic tartness.

I'll probably pick up another one.