Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

UK update

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

UK update

Post by Tapsucker »

Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Beers from the UK used to feature so prominently in the seasonal releases. Now, not so much. You took for granted that a beer like Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome was going to make an annual appearance year after year, but then it was gone. I don't know how big the Ontario market would have been for a lot of these breweries, but for a brewery like St Peter's it must have been a significant part of their business for a number of years, given the sheer number of their beers that were available here. Is it the LCBO that generally lost interest and shifted its focus to other areas, or did UK brewers simply find easier and better markets within the EU, as the article suggests?
Here's to the slow path.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Wheatsheaf wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:43 pm Is it the LCBO that generally lost interest and shifted its focus to other areas, or did UK brewers simply find easier and better markets within the EU, as the article suggests?
I also think it’s an issue of changing tastes and preferences here. I remember speaking to importers and they used to easily sell full cases of import bottles to places like Beerbistro, as before the local boom here bottles were often the only way to get exotic things. That era is long gone. I’m kind of surprised that the LCBO keeps up the seasonal release schedule as I can’t imagine they move the way they used to. I guess that’s why we tend to see classics (like the upcoming autumn release) or pretty out-there beers that people may just buy based upon its cover.

I do also miss Winter Welcome and wish it returned.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

It seems like we had a nice little UK import renaissance for a couple seasons during the pandemic; The Sam Smith gift pack was back and the Porter showed up standalone too, we got some new and unique entries like Timothy Taylor Landlord and Allsop's Burton IPA, as well as a number of Scottish craft breweries. From 2020 through 2021 it seemed like we got a strong list of imports in general, but it really tapered off starting last year.

It's not just UK and imports though. I've noticed the LCBOs I shop at have drastically scaled back the shelf space devoted to craft in general. It's taken up by more macros, discount brands, or increasingly RTD cocktails and beer alternatives. Considering the economic challenges I sense that premium beers like craft or specialty imports are seeing a decline as people tighten their belts. Hell, even I rarely buy beers priced over $4.00/can anymore, let alone $5 unless I am confident it's going to be a winner. Otherwise I'm buying my old reliable go-to's, GLB Lager at $50/case, and trying maybe 2 or 3 new ones per week. Before this year it would be mostly new beers and I'd buy cheaper cases only for occasions like cottage weeks, etc.

Unfortunately I don't think this will be a UK phenomenon, although it seems like Brexit and import woes have added an additional layer of challenges for UK brewers.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

This seems to have coincided with a distinct decrease in the number of U.K. beers available on tap - even in self-styled "British" pubs. There are a few to be sure but they tend to be the same from place to place and there is not the variety I had become accustomed to. The cause is likely everything cited above.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Fuller's is another one I don't see around anymore. We used to get their double IPA, vintage ale, ESB, stout, and London Pride. I think as a replacement to London Pride, I have seen the Greene King Abbot Ale. Unfortunately, that one has little hop flavour, but the English yeast strain is nicely present. However, I have found High Park Across the Pond to be a good alternative, with some nice English hop flavour too. It seems there is a schism in brewing in England these days. Most of the newer microbrews are following US styles, just like most of the world. However, some of the more established brewers are producing traditional UK ales, often on cask. I'm more interested in the traditional UK ales, but to each his own.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

BartOwl wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:33 pm It seems there is a schism in brewing in England these days. Most of the newer microbrews are following US styles, just like most of the world. However, some of the more established brewers are producing traditional UK ales, often on cask. I'm more interested in the traditional UK ales, but to each his own.
This is precisely why I avoid Brewdog pubs and modern breweries when I visit the UK (which alas hasn't been since the border of Covid in Jan 2020). They feel (and taste) just like everything else here, and I don't go to the UK to be in places that are just like home. But I suppose for hipster Brits the old fashioned pubs aren't as cool, which I get.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I was surprised to see Newcastle brown in cans at the LCBO last week, so picked one up out of nostalgia.

John Smith’s, Tetley’s, Boddingtons, Flowers - I miss those light, creamy UK ales.