Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Best Ontario pilsners

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sstackho
Bar Fly

Best Ontario pilsners

Post by sstackho »

I don't often drink lagers, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis Pilsner Urquell.

I found myself craving a lot of Pilsner Urquell this summer. There's just something in its flavour (the water? the hops?) that sets it apart from other pilsners.

Back in the day, I remember enjoying King Pilsner - but it's been a while since I've had a go-to Ontario pilsner.

I suppose I should be drinking more Godspeed. Ha - just checking their website and their Sklepik: Pitch Lined (in Pilsner Urquell barrels) has vanished from their webshop just today.

Any recommendations?

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Fairweather Donna, but I've found it varies batch to batch anywhere from 'pretty good' to 'world class'

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I've been finding myself drinking a lot of Pilsner Urquell too this summer. I think it's because Sklepnik is possibly my favourite Ontario beer at the moment, but I'm not often able to get down there and Urquell is the next best thing. That said, I know Sonnen Hill Primo has been mentioned around here as rivalling Godspeed's pilsners. I've yet to try it though. Tooth and Nail Vim & Vigor is very good and I believe at the LCBO right now, so a bit easier to find.

When I can't find a local one I like, I'll slot Czechvar and Jever into the rotation; the latter is an amazing value for the quality, although Urquell is still the best import.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

distr0 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:50 pm Fairweather Donna, but I've found it varies batch to batch anywhere from 'pretty good' to 'world class'

I agree with this 100%.

—Bellwoods Bellweiser is the local option I find myself drinking most often and I think it’s great.
Vim and vigor is top notch also.
I havnt had it for a couple years, but I really enjoyed Paniza Pilsner.
Elora Pilsner is really quite good when fresh
Third moon does a very nice pilsner that is almost always in stock these days.
A bit off the rails maybe for this question , but for Italian style pilsner I love Leftfields version.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Funny timing on this post. I just took delivery of some Great Lakes Euro Pils, brewed with Amsterdam. Not a classic Pils in my opinion and pretty (maybe very) aggressive on the hops and dryness, but that's quite far up my alley, so I'm really liking it.

I think it's only available for brewery pick up or delivery, so not sure how to find it otherwise

I think they made a mistake just releasing it. It would have been even more perfect (again, INMHO) in the peak summer heat a few months back.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Thanks Tapsucker. I did have my eyes on that GL/Amsterdam release and will order some.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

While I prefer Jever I also found myself drinking Pilsner Urquell more this summer... probably because it's in my local lcbo instead of having to order Jever online.

I'm a firm believer that Godspeed makes the best pilsners/lagers in Ontario right now. I also agree Tooth & Nail "Vim & Vigor" is also great.

Sawdust City's "Little Norway" is underrated imo. Not top tier level, but still very well done.

Another one I drink a lot of is Old Style Pilsner. It's pretty gross and no one should drink it unless their friend constantly gives it to them when they're visiting... which happens to me, lol
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I like both Pilsner Urquell and Godspeed's offerings, but Pilsner Urquell is cheaper and easier to find. I did a side by side of PU and Godspeed's pilsner a while ago, and while different, I couldn't choose a favourite. They are both good.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:19 am While I prefer Jever I also found myself drinking Pilsner Urquell more this summer... probably because it's in my local lcbo instead of having to order Jever online.
Thanks - don't think I've ever tried (or even heard of) Jever. Looks like that is available at my local LCBO, so I'll also give it a go.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

There was a discussion about this a few years ago.

Best Pilsner at the lcbo?

Lots of support for Urquell at that time too, and a lengthy post by @groulxsome

I thought King Pilsner had morphed into Thornbury Pickup Truck No. 26 Pilsner.

Did a little searching, and both appear to be available on-line depending on where you go.

https://thornburycraft.com/beer/

https://shop.thornburycraft.com/collect ... craft-beer

https://shop.coliowinery.com/collection ... ional-beer

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

sstackho wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:09 pm
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:19 am While I prefer Jever I also found myself drinking Pilsner Urquell more this summer... probably because it's in my local lcbo instead of having to order Jever online.
Thanks - don't think I've ever tried (or even heard of) Jever. Looks like that is available at my local LCBO, so I'll also give it a go.
Jever is my go-to for macro yellow beer that tastes like something (decent.) It has also been pretty cheap over the years. The K&S LCBO stopped carrying it a while ago (grumble grumble) so I have to trek further afield to Union or Liberty Village to get some.
lister

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I visited Godspeed yesterday. Unfortunately they were out of the Sklepnik. They appeared to have a focus on German styles for Oktoberfest. (One-litre draft options currently available, if you want the novelty.)

The only Czech-style one they had on draft was the 1.5% Baby Svetly - which I found very impressive for its strength. It had some of that unique flavour that I associate with Pilsner Urquell that I've yet to identify. My server said that this beer was not brewed in the Urquell barrels, so that's not it.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

If you are near a Sobey's grocery store check there as Jever is always available - and cheap! - at my local Sobey's. I don't think I've seen it anywhere else including my local LCBOs.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Agree the Godspeed offering(s) are fantastic and a real treat, but not so easy to get. A close second is True History. They are making really good stuff too.