Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts hit with $500K tax bill!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Collective Arts hit with $500K tax bill!

Post by GtownRandy »

At risk of going out of business. F#ckin govt.

https://www.thespec.com/business/hamilt ... 9bf90.html

portwood

Post by portwood »

GtownRandy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:50 pm At risk of going out of business. F#ckin govt.
or perhaps, another way of looking at it .... F#ckin idiots for not considering the consequences of playing with the big boys and the relevant tax rules ...

"the straw that broke the camel's back" comment suggests, government tax rules aren't the only thing putting CA on the edge .... just speculatin'

as a past fan of their beer, I'll say that all the expanding hasn't been kind to the quality of their beer.
@markhamwhisky

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

As far as beer quality Ransack used to be my go-to. I used to say ‘can’t go wrong with a ransack’. Now I rarely drink it because it’s not the same.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

This is sad.....and awkward. Regardless of how you feel about the tax law and whether it is fair and makes sense, it is what it is. So I'm not thinking CA has much leverage to get out of what is owed. And they really should have known better. Very curious about how this came about. The best I think they can do is make a payment proposal that spreads it out over a few years.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about tax matters, but I've always wondered why there are thresholds with step changes in tax rates. Why don't they use some sort of formula that increases the tax rate as you produce more. The increase could be very modest at low production volumes and increase more sharply as volumes get higher.
portwood wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:29 pm "the straw that broke the camel's back" comment suggests, government tax rules aren't the only thing putting CA on the edge .... just speculatin'
Well, the same cost increases that everyone else faces. But I hear your point. And as I said, no matter how you cut it, they should have know better.

Ransack has always been one of my favourites, but I haven't actually had it in awhile. I'm going to try one again soon.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Maybe it's to prevent contract brewers from being able to make beer more cheaply than micro brewers?