Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Post by cannondale »

I've recently become aware that there are now a good number of NA options available, and some in fact provide a similar experience (minus the buzz) to non-non-alcoholic beer. Curious about others experiences or recommendations with these, particularly with those available locally.

I've tried Athletic brewing Run Wild, Free Wave and All Out. Each are reminiscent of their respective styles. I did find each to be somewhat thin bodied (as expected) and had a hint of the raw grain/wort taste you virtually always get with NA beer. I do still recommend giving them a shot, they offer quite a few styles.

Guinness 0.0% looks, tastes and smells like a Guinness, including the nitro induced tan head. Yes you can tell it's 0.0%, and it is slightly on the watery side, but if you enjoy Guinness this would be an acceptable substitute on days when you'd prefer to abstain. I give it kudos for the extent to which it replicates the overall experience of drinking a can of Guinness draft.

Bellwood's Stay Classy 0.5% is probably the best NA IPA I've tried so far. Similar comments as the others with respect to body and raw taste, but closer to the real deal in this case.

I'll be in Boston in the next few weeks and will be sure to try Sam Adams' Just The Haze and Gold Rush. If they are as legitimate as many of the online reviews say that they are, then I will bring a few packs home with me. I suppose they don't count as booze at the border!

Look forward to reading about your experiences and recommendations...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I have logged just over 100 different NA beers in the last 6 months. Your reviews of Athletic's core line and Guinness 0 are spot on. However I disagree with Stay Classy, I've definitely had better NA IPA's.

My recommendations:
Free Beer by Rogue River is by far and away the best NA IPA, and maybe NA beer, I'd had to date. Don't know if it's still produced.
Italian Pilsner by Untitled Art is the best lager so far. Only available in the States. Highly recommended.
Jelly King (non-flavoured) by Bellwoods is excellent, and I'm not a sour fan. (I didn't like the raspberry version)
Rainbow Wall & Personal Record by Athletic were both excellent IPA one-offs or seasons (i.e. not currently available but could return).
Ecossaise Sans Alcool by Alchimiste Microbrasserie is the best dark beer thus far.
Peroni 0 is the best mass-production euro lager that resembles it's alcoholic counterpart. I buy this regularly because it's good and easy to find.
Corona Sunbrew with a slice of lime in the bottle also resembles it's alcoholic counterpart surprising well, but it's still Corona, lol. But kudos to them!

Honourable mentions:
St Ambroise Pale Ale Sans Alcool by Brasserie McAuslan
Juicy IPA by Gruvi
Libra Stout by Upstreet (better than Athletic and Collective Arts, not as good as Guinness)
Libra Pale Ale by Upstreet (closer to a Blonde Ale, and very good if you want a Blonde)
Decouverte IPA by Le BockAle

Biggest disappointments:
Stay Classy (sorry I just don't think it's that great - very bland)
Adventure IPA by Free Spirit/Rorschach (fizzy lemon water)
Any of the Collective Arts stuff (found way better examples of all 3 styles they make)

Vile:
Coors Edge (Makes Bud Zero taste like the best NA beer out there, haha)
Heineken 0
Apostel Weissbier/Gerstel/Krombacher (lumping together as I bought them at a euro market - probably only place to find these)
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I’ve been drinking a lot of the NA beers lately as well.
I too enjoyed the Stay Classy, and Jelly King was quite good as well.
The Athletic ipa is pretty solid.
There was an either Omnipollo of Mikkeler(I can’t remember which) ipa which was available at the LCBO, which probably had the closed body to a real ipa that I enjoyed.
I didn’t mind the collective arts hazy.
The partake pale ale is solid
I think Heineken zero tastes very similar to normal Heineken and again, I don’t mind it.
Clausthaler is one of my go-to beers if I’m grabbing a single or two from zehrs.
Sober Carpenter black ipa was really quite good, but I’ve only never seen it once.
I always have cans of presidents choice “red” in my fridge, and generally I’m not even a red ale kind of guy, but i find it tastes like a beer and the price is right.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I tried another Athletic Run Wild as well as their Oktoberfest yesterday.

The Run Wild had decent aroma, head was short-lived, and unfortunately there was the NA giveaway of a sweet, unfermented wort flavour.

The Athletic Oktoberfest was very enjoyable. High marks for replication of the overall experience of drinking an amber lager. I was not expecting it. Give this one a try. Highly carbonated, a light mineral bite, appropriately sweet. I suppose this is a style for which some of the typical NA shortcomings are less detectable.

The Bravus oatmeal dark I also tried earlier in the weekend was essentially undrinkable.

I'm beginning to see that the alcohol buzz is only one element of drinking beer, and not near the top of the list in terms of what makes it enjoyable. I'm also happy to see that there are products out there now that can tick every box with the exception of the buzz.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

sofakingdrunk wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:31 pm There was an either Omnipollo of Mikkeler(I can’t remember which) ipa which was available at the LCBO, which probably had the closed body to a real ipa that I enjoyed.
The partake pale ale is solid
Clausthaler is one of my go-to beers if I’m grabbing a single or two from zehrs.
Sober Carpenter black ipa was really quite good, but I’ve only never seen it once.
I always have cans of presidents choice “red” in my fridge, and generally I’m not even a red ale kind of guy, but i find it tastes like a beer and the price is right.
I think it was Omnipollo. I tired it a long time ago and remember it being quite lemony. Would like to revist.
Agreed the Partake Pale is solid. The IPA is too bitter imo.
Was not a fan of the Clausthaler at all. Has that wort flavour a lot of NA beers have. To each their own.
SC Black IPA was indeed really good. I think they just released a new batch.
Haven't had any PC stuff as I don't want to commit to the bulk buy. But you're the second person I know that's said the Red is really good.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

The Clausthaler Dry Hop was not fresh, did not have so much of the sweet/raw wort flavour. A slight hop bite. Boring.

Alternating between leaded and unleaded beers is the way to go with these things (if you aren't going completely NA).

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

I have tried :

CA Hazy Pale Ale - not impressed
Adnams - hard to tell the difference between alcohol and non-alcohol versions. Hard to find.
Heineken 0.0 - pretty much tasted like the regular alcohol version. Reasonable price at TBS versus 6 packs at No Frills even though I had coupons!

Anybody try any US brewery non-alcohol versions. Saw some last time in the States but the prices weren't great!

The Dollar Store has some made by a brewery in Quebec, I think it was called "Classy" something or other! $1.50 a can, couldn't be arsed lining up!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Ukie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:05 pm Adnams - hard to tell the difference between alcohol and non-alcohol versions. Hard to find.

Anybody try any US brewery non-alcohol versions. Saw some last time in the States but the prices weren't great!
Anyone know if there has there been a re-order of the Adnams ghost ship NA, or is it just remnants of what was brought in a year (or more?) ago? Interested t otry this one.

I have a case of Deschutes Black Butte NA inbound, and will be in Boston soon and planning to try Sam Adams Just the Haze and Gold Rush (and perhaps some other NA if anything looks interesting). Will report back on all these.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

cannondale wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:05 am
Ukie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:05 pm Adnams - hard to tell the difference between alcohol and non-alcohol versions. Hard to find.

Anyone know if there has there been a re-order of the Adnams ghost ship NA, or is it just remnants of what was brought in a year (or more?) ago? Interested t otry this one.

I have a case of Deschutes Black Butte NA inbound, and will be in Boston soon and planning to try Sam Adams Just the Haze and Gold Rush (and perhaps some other NA if anything looks interesting). Will report back on all these.

Oh man, I would love to have Black Butte back around these parts.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Black Butte is a beauty for sure. Looking forward to testing the NA version.

You know what, I tried both Dark & Gourdy and Stump Jump from Athletic last night. The D&G was a light-bodied porter style, mildly spiced, nice flavour but a little thin for the style and my likings. The Stump Jump was very enjoyable. A nice balanced brown ale, with pleasant aroma and flavour. I would expect that most people would have a difficult time identifying it as an NA brown ale on first taste.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

cannondale wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:05 am Anyone know if there has there been a re-order of the Adnams ghost ship NA, or is it just remnants of what was brought in a year (or more?) ago? Interested t otry this one.
It's still the one from over a year ago. It's beyond it's expiry date on the can, and when I've brought it up to anyone in store they don't care.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Great notes!

Blood Brothers sells a NA hazy style IPA from their cool funky brew pub store / music hall. I like their setup, it feels very kind of Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

The beer is pretty good, about commensurate with Bellwoods Stay Classy which is a nice go to most of the time.

Bellwoods Bellwoods Jelly King is a standout - sippable, complex- and I also think the Blackberry-Raspberry scratches a certain itch sometimes. Memories of Amsterdam Raspberry Wheat, sure to be a hit in place of weekend brunch Mimosas.

Collective Arts is a bit hit an d miss (quality generally ok) but a really good effort and props to getting into the LC. It’s criminal that the ‘Socially Responsible’ LCBO neglects its huge distribution access to more NA brews like this and maybe some imports. I’m kind of fed up with watery Partake brews assuming an Oligarchic position so the LaZeeBO doesn’t have to do any real work.

Athletic Brewing are amazingly solid for a $12 six pack you can buy at Whole Foods. The Cerveza Arhletica is a fun easy going Copper ale or something, maybe at some health food stores like Big Carrot on Southwood.

I don’t mind Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen from Loblaws but the BB date must be checked since the freshness of supply varies wildly. The other Weisse are kinda junk.

Really corporate brews that are acceptable are NA Corona and Budweiser. I find Heineken a bit too bready-sweet for me. YMMV.
In Beerum Veritas

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

A few more NA reviews:

Sam Adams Just the Haze - I'd heard quite a few glowing reviews of this one, some suggesting it is the most authentic NA representation of a hazy, juicy IPA. Of those I've tried so far, I would agree. The interesting thing about this one, is that it seems more like a juicy IPA flavoured beverage, than a de-alcoholized juicy IPA, if that makes any sense. I'm not convinced that that is a bad thing. Mounds of tropical fruit flavour, to the extent that I'm confident that they have added some for flavour, body, aroma and to back sweeten the product. Beautiful colour, nice head, it looks the part and has the aroma. 7 out of 10 for replicating the real deal, and miles ahead of many high test juicy IPA's in terms of bringing the flavour.

Sam Adams Gold Rush - This is the better of the 2 Sam Adams products in terms of replicating leaded beer. 9 out of 10 in that regard, and I'd put it a touch ahead of Guinness 0 in that department. Best so far in terms of authentic experience. The beer itself? It's a golden ale. And a nicely crafted one at that. Highly quaffable.

Deschutes Black Butte NA - Another highly regarded NA version of the classic American porter. Very close to the original, similar to JTH above, I'd give it a 7 out of 10 in replication of the genuine article. It's a porter, all of the telltale flavours you'd expect, coffee, chocolate and roasted malts. Body is very close to what you'd expect in a porter. I did not try this one after any non-non-alcoholic beers, so it is a little easier to identify the fact that it is NA. Next time I drink I will try one of these after.

All 3 of these were highly enjoyable and should scratch anyone's itch if they are reducing or abstaining. These serve as the clearest evidence for me that the NA beer game has come light years from the days of O'Doul's. For those abstaining, they scratch the itch. For those reducing, I think this is where the real value lies. After 1-2 leaded beers, you can switch to NA and with these high quality replicas feel like the session has not come to an abrupt end. And as a bonus the next morning isn't ruined, either.

Cheers

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

cannondale wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:01 am For those abstaining, they scratch the itch. For those reducing, I think this is where the real value lies. After 1-2 leaded beers, you can switch to NA and with these high quality replicas feel like the session has not come to an abrupt end. And as a bonus the next morning isn't ruined, either.
Exactly why I'm exploring the NA world... a NA beer or two after a couple of of "leaded" versions has really been working for me.

Check out this NA Beer Advent Calendar: https://upsidedrinks.ca/collections/new ... er-edition
Yup, it's pricey, but a fun way to try a bunch at once, and also not make December all about the booze. I bought one.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:22 am
cannondale wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:01 am For those abstaining, they scratch the itch. For those reducing, I think this is where the real value lies. After 1-2 leaded beers, you can switch to NA and with these high quality replicas feel like the session has not come to an abrupt end. And as a bonus the next morning isn't ruined, either.
Exactly why I'm exploring the NA world... a NA beer or two after a couple of of "leaded" versions has really been working for me.

Check out this NA Beer Advent Calendar: https://upsidedrinks.ca/collections/new ... er-edition
Yup, it's pricey, but a fun way to try a bunch at once, and also not make December all about the booze. I bought one.
Thanks for the link, that shop seems to offer a lot. May have to order some Mash Gang (sound great, a few glowing reviews) and Untitled Art (highly rated).