Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Breweries closing and/or restructuring and/or bought out

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:06 am
S. St. Jeb wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:30 pm
JerCraigs wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:36 pm This is another one where it surprises me a bit to see which brewery is doing the purchasing vs being purchased - I would have thought Spearhead was the bigger player. Will be interesting to see how this all works out.
Ha! The exact same thought came to my mind.
Yup, thought the same thing. Spearhead "felt" bigger but not sure that was based upon anything other than age and what I see at TBS/LCBO. The Signal property was a nice one being right on the river so that would be cool if it continues, but who knows what's actually viable these days.
The story says the three breweries are now under the umbrella of the newly formed "Spearhead Brewing Incorporated" (as opposed to the brewery being called Spearhead Brewing). Is that an indication that they believe Spearhead has the best brand recognition?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Skeleton Park is definitely smaller and with worse offerings, than the other two. Seems like Spearhead owners were happy to pull the chute and take a soft landing with a potential recession looming, while Skeleton were looking to double down on their shrinking market.

The fact that the tripled down with getting Signal, must mean they got a sweet deal on that property that was rumoured to mired in debt.

I'd expect Skeleton to move into the Spearhead Kingston facility to reduce their overhead costs and use the Signal property for special events. Should be interesting what they do with branding.

All told seems like a fairly risky business venture for Skelton Park, but you gotta admire their passion to keep going.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Masterplan wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:16 pm Skeleton Park is definitely smaller and with worse offerings, than the other two. Seems like Spearhead owners were happy to pull the chute and take a soft landing with a potential recession looming, while Skeleton were looking to double down on their shrinking market.

The fact that the tripled down with getting Signal, must mean they got a sweet deal on that property that was rumoured to mired in debt.

I'd expect Skeleton to move into the Spearhead Kingston facility to reduce their overhead costs and use the Signal property for special events. Should be interesting what they do with branding.

All told seems like a fairly risky business venture for Skelton Park, but you gotta admire their passion to keep going.

Just tells me the SP's investors have deep pockets. Reminds me of the old brewery joke back when I was in the game: Want to have a million dollars? Start with 10 million and open a brewery.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

I guess this makes some sense. It was strange that it followed a somewhat different pattern than other acquisitions.

Hoping luck for all parties mentioned.

MattB

Post by MattB »

Regarding the Maclean's move. My local had to drop them (temporarily I hope), since they really screwed up their deliveries. Stuff wouldn't arrive or the order was ignored, they wouldn't bring the larger kegs, refused to take them to the cooler, etc. Maclean's said that they were having trouble with their delivery people.

Any indication if they are resuming deliveries to Toronto? We really miss the Pale Ale. It's a terrific beer. Great Lakes Canuck is OK (the replacement) but it's not as good.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

MattB wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:24 pm Regarding the Maclean's move. My local had to drop them (temporarily I hope), since they really screwed up their deliveries. Stuff wouldn't arrive or the order was ignored, they wouldn't bring the larger kegs, refused to take them to the cooler, etc. Maclean's said that they were having trouble with their delivery people.

Any indication if they are resuming deliveries to Toronto? We really miss the Pale Ale. It's a terrific beer. Great Lakes Canuck is OK (the replacement) but it's not as good.

From the social media post: “keep our prices fair, maintain the exceptional quality and consistency of our beer, and provide reliable delivery and better customer interaction through our sales team.”
So I don't know if that means Collingwood will deliver for them, or their sales reps are now also delivery guys??

Glad to see some love for this beer, it's ridiculously underrated and incredibly sessionable. If this move eventually kills the brand/beer it will be a sad day.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:07 am Fenelon Falls Brewing Acquired by Waterbridge Confectionery

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2023/1 ... ectionery/

https://lindsayadvocate.ca/fenelon-fall ... in-on-tap/
Bring on the mashups!* :D

*pun intended
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Wow. Lots of news here. That patio at Signal is really great in the summer. Recommended as a day trip or for post-round drinks if anyone is a golfer (super close to Black Bear Ridge). Hope the new owners keep it open. Really sorry to lose that fun, intentionally unadorned little space at Muddy York. That's a shame. Cheers to Charles Maclean, a true pioneer to whom we owe a lot. Almost single-handedly kept cask ale alive in Ontario.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tough times for craft brewers. This story focusses on BC, but I think is relevant everywhere.

Trouble brewing? Canadian beermakers foresee closures amid economic challenges

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Good Prospects Brewing Closes Down in Ottawa

They are sort of closing; the announcement says "The doors are going to close for a little while, but something new and exciting will take our place."

I found this notice interesting because I can't recall ever hearing about this brewery.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 am I found this notice interesting because I can't recall ever hearing about this brewery.
Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of them. But then again, I haven't visited Ottawa since pre-Covid so not surprised there are breweries there I've never heard of.

I feel this is the case across Ontario nowadays - when I drove back from Detroit I made a stop in Strathroy and there's a brewery there called Rusty Wrench. I'm sure it's well known by the local folks but no longer is a new brewery news across the province (as I did not know it at all until I found it on Google maps).

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:06 pm I made a stop in Strathroy and there's a brewery there called Rusty Wrench.
LOL, yay for me....I have heard of them. But probably only because a friend of mine travels to Sarnia now and again and sometimes picks up beer for me. He has stopped in there.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:54 pm LOL, yay for me....I have heard of them. But probably only because a friend of mine travels to Sarnia now and again and sometimes picks up beer for me. He has stopped in there.
LOL a point for you :)
It was a nice little place on one of the old town high streets. Looked like lots of locals enjoying in when I stopped by.