Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Winter Release ???

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Noticed that LCBO Beer Watch has announced DdC!'s Péché Mortel is returning (#30661, $5.05/473ml).

Lunardr0ne

Post by Lunardr0ne »

portwood wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:20 pm
Lunardr0ne wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:28 am
Also I got two of the St. Ambroise imperial barrel aged porter, opened the first one a couple weeks ago.
It had a super high carbonation, to the point that it was quite unpleasant to drink. Hopefully it was just off bottle and the second one will be better.
I didn't find my bottle to be overly carbonated. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality/price ratio and will likely pick up a couple more bottles.
picture here for reference: https://untappd.com/user/portwood/checkin/1329640974
My second bottle was very similar to yours. A little fizzy after pour, but soft and creamy after it had a moment in the glass.
Not a lot of barrel impact, I was mostly getting some vanilla. A bit of oxidation I think with some raisin and soy sauce flavours.
Quite dry for a porter. Great aroma and overall quite a tasty beer.
skaghevn wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:22 pm Noticed that LCBO Beer Watch has announced DdC!'s Péché Mortel is returning (#30661, $5.05/473ml).
Great, I remember really enjoying this one the last time it was available around here.
It is already listed on the LCBO website, but no stock yet. Pretty decent value for how good the beer is.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/moersleut ... ne/921974/

Would this be the 3rd Moersleutel product at the LCBO? I recall Dolle Dries 2 and Rusty from previous releases.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Lunardr0ne wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:18 pm
skaghevn wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:22 pm Noticed that LCBO Beer Watch has announced DdC!'s Péché Mortel is returning (#30661, $5.05/473ml).
Great, I remember really enjoying this one the last time it was available around here.
It is already listed on the LCBO website, but no stock yet. Pretty decent value for how good the beer is.

I found it too roasty on the coffee. I honestly couldn't decide if it was always that way and my tastes have changed, or the beer itself had changed.
I'll probably pick up one to start and see how I feed about it this time around.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

portwood

Post by portwood »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:29 pm

I found it too roasty on the coffee. I honestly couldn't decide if it was always that way and my tastes have changed, or the beer itself had changed.
I'll probably pick up one to start and see how I feed about it this time around.
I had similar experience both times I've had it. The first time (draught, nitro) I thought it was because of the food I was eating and the preceding beer (FM Invictus). Bought a couple of cans earlier this year from LCBO and wrote this comment in my log: "very good but a bit too much coffee. Too intense for a tall boy but cheap enough to drink half the can and dump the rest", LOL
@markhamwhisky

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

portwood wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:31 am
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:29 pm

I had similar experience both times I've had it. The first time (draught, nitro) I thought it was because of the food I was eating and the preceding beer (FM Invictus). Bought a couple of cans earlier this year from LCBO and wrote this comment in my log: "very good but a bit too much coffee. Too intense for a tall boy but cheap enough to drink half the can and dump the rest", LOL

Pleased to report this years Peche is fantastic. Lovely coffee flavour without the bitterness of last year. Highly recommended!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Last round we got the 'Special edition - partially decaffeinated' Peche, is this batch the same?

I did not love the previous batch as much as I usually love Peche

Lunardr0ne

Post by Lunardr0ne »

distr0 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:24 am Last round we got the 'Special edition - partially decaffeinated' Peche, is this batch the same?

I did not love the previous batch as much as I usually love Peche
Yeah, looks like the same deal, the can has the blurb on the back of the can stating it's the special edition partially decaffeinated and all that

I did really enjoy my first can, but I don't really have a good reference if it's changed since I had it last time, as that was around 10 years ago.
I think the last time I had it came in a 4-pack of bottles.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I'd agree that this most recent batch felt a little more well-rounded and smoother on the finish than what we received earlier this year. If anything it was a bit fuller bodied too, the main thing I had noticed was it seemed thinner than I remembered. However I'm also going back a good half decade or more since trying it before these tall cans showed up.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Could that be due to LCBO regulations? Their lab page (see bottom) states a limit of 30 mg per serving. If a can is considered 2 servings, that would cap it at 60 mg of caffeine (or even 30 mg?), equivalent to about 1 shot of espresso. Peche de Mortel is pretty heavy on the coffee, so I assume it would be higher than 'normal' coffee beers which usually have <10 mg of caffeine per serving.

Haven't seen the same restrictions on imports in the past (I used to get it a lot at T&M), so I'm not sure if this is a valid hypothesis or not.