Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Winter Release ???

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ukie
Bar Fly

Winter Release ???

Post by Ukie »

I don't know possible winter release?

I apologize if this appears in a post somewhere else!

LCBO# Description Size (mL)

7844 Windswept Bear Russian Imperial Stout 330
16693 Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter 355
27007 Allsopps IPA 500
34457 Platinum Blend geuze 375
34459 Duvel Cherry Chouffe 330
34463 Macaroon Machine - Coconut Pastry Stout 440
35474 Andechser Dopplebock Dunkel 500
35475 Bad Shepherd Double Choc Hazlenut Brown 440
35656 MALHEUR 12 330
97469 Samichlaus 330
125435 Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier Dunkel 500
311860 Erdinger Pikantus 500
32776 St. Ambroise Imperial Porter Barrel Collection 500

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Interested in the Windswept, they’ve tended to be quite good for the low price point.
Always happy to have more Gonzo, and glad to see the Allsops back.
The Bad Shepard appears to be Australian….don’t see many of those around here.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'll try that Cherry Chouffe for sure! One of the first Belgians I had way back in the day so a soft spot for that for sure.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm excited to try Malheur 12. Never had the chance that I can recall.

I really liked the Allsopp last go around, so I'm excited to see that back too.

Lunardr0ne

Post by Lunardr0ne »

At least some of these are already in stores, or in some cases have been for a while already.
The Windswept Bear stout for example is already out. I don't think it ever got any online stock, looks like it went to stores only.
Feels like in general LCBO has had much less beer stock allocated to onlines sales lately.
I've used the online home delivery order option a lot in the past, but lately very little of the interesting beer has been available for online orders at all.

Also I got two of the St. Ambroise imperial barrel aged porter, opened the first one a couple weeks ago.
It had a super high carbonation, to the point that it was quite unpleasant to drink. Hopefully it was just off bottle and the second one will be better.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Lunardr0ne wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:28 am Also I got two of the St. Ambroise imperial barrel aged porter, opened the first one a couple weeks ago.
It had a super high carbonation, to the point that it was quite unpleasant to drink. Hopefully it was just off bottle and the second one will be better.
Oh, that's not good to hear. It is on my list, but I haven't picked any up yet.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Thanks for the heads up- perhaps I'll hold off until I hear more. Over-carbed beer drives me crazy, especially in styles like this. Unless it's a Belgian where high carb is appropriate, I'm not a fan.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Lunardr0ne wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:28 am
Also I got two of the St. Ambroise imperial barrel aged porter, opened the first one a couple weeks ago.
I didn't find my bottle to be overly carbonated. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality/price ratio and will likely pick up a couple more bottles.
picture here for reference: https://untappd.com/user/portwood/checkin/1329640974
@markhamwhisky

Lunardr0ne

Post by Lunardr0ne »

portwood wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:20 pm
I didn't find my bottle to be overly carbonated. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality/price ratio and will likely pick up a couple more bottles.
picture here for reference: https://untappd.com/user/portwood/checkin/1329640974
Good to hear. I normally enjoy their darker beers, so that's exactly what I was hoping for these.
Maybe I'll try out my second bottle this weekend

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

seangm wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:51 am Over-carbed beer drives me crazy
You and me both.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

portwood wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:20 pm

I’d agree with this assessment, mine wasn’t over carbed and I thought it very good quality for the price.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Lunardr0ne wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:28 am At least some of these are already in stores, or in some cases have been for a while already.
The Windswept Bear stout for example is already out. I don't think it ever got any online stock, looks like it went to stores only.
Feels like in general LCBO has had much less beer stock allocated to onlines sales lately.
I've used the online home delivery order option a lot in the past, but lately very little of the interesting beer has been available for online orders at all.

I used to use the online purchasing a lot also in the past, due to online exclusives and interesting stuff. I’d agree that it’s really gone down hill, to the point that I rarely, if ever check anymore.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:37 am
Lunardr0ne wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:28 am Feels like in general LCBO has had much less beer stock allocated to onlines sales lately.
I used to use the online purchasing a lot also in the past, due to online exclusives and interesting stuff. I’d agree that it’s really gone down hill, to the point that I rarely, if ever check anymore.
I've thought recently if the reported new beer retail framework will include removing some of the shackles that hinders importation, but it seems unlikely as it's pretty niche and doesn't really do anything for local breweries.

It's wild to think about how the importing landscape in Ontario has slid over the years.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

On the topic of imports, anyone have some insider knowledge as to whether or not they'll be bringing in another shipment of Orval? I was getting excited that it'd be somewhat regular with new stock 3 years in a row from 2020-22. If we go on another hiatus I'm going to have to start rationing again lol

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't know about bringing in another, but it's available in stores right now.