Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Is there a Great Beer Grocery Store?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Is there a Great Beer Grocery Store?

Post by Cass »

I was thinking about this in light of all the convo around the government's beer announcement.

In the 8 years (I think it's that long? Since 2015?) since grocery stores were able to stock beer, did a store (or stores) anywhere in the province emerge as one that curated an exceptionally notable selection?

I'm not talking about getting in special stuff, as I know that didn't happen. But every time I was at a grocery store that had beer, it was just a random smattering of stuff. I'm genuinely curious if any store or store manager cared to do something unique with their selection. I honestly don't think I heard of any, and never saw one with my eyes.

Maybe this will emerge when the shackles come off, when stores that have specializations (such as British shops, or Euro food specialties) might get more creative. But it's kind of interesting (and telling) that nobody (?) did anything interesting with their beer selection to stand out over the last bunch of years. Unless I'm wrong and one of the grocery stores did?

(I will acknowledge that Longo's was a bit of a trailblazer with their in-grocery bars Corks, but can't recall if they sell beer to go? And Eataly did partner with Indie for Birroteca but that is a bit of a special case as it's an exclusive arrangement.)

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Not quite a grocery store, but I'm going to nominate a place I discovered during the plague when everybody (like, everybody) opened a bottle shop. I'm pretty sure it's still there and called Praise, It's on Bloor near the pits. Small selection, but nicely curated. I think they focus more on wine. Prices are high, but hey...

It's the first place I found Fairweather beers on offer in Toronto, so it's kind of stuck in my head.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

In Guelph, the Zehrs(loblaws) closest to me has a solid selection and usually quite fresh.
Lots of imports but just as many Ontario/Canadian craft.
Bellwoods(4 brands)/Fat tug/lots of Great Lakes/lots of collective arts

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:13 pm In Guelph, the Zehrs(loblaws) closest to me has a solid selection and usually quite fresh.
I would say the same about the Zehrs at Conestoga Mall in Waterloo, so I wonder if that's a Zehrs thing: higher end groceries so higher end alcohol?
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:09 am
sofakingdrunk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:13 pm In Guelph, the Zehrs(loblaws) closest to me has a solid selection and usually quite fresh.
I would say the same about the Zehrs at Conestoga Mall in Waterloo, so I wonder if that's a Zehrs thing: higher end groceries so higher end alcohol?
The Fortino's in Burlington near me doesn't carry beer, but the other ones in the city do, and same thing, quite a big selection. Fortino's and Zehr's are both Loblaw's owned.