Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Blood Brothers’ Over The Tap - $7 to $12 for 4 oz pours

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

Blood Brothers’ Over The Tap - $7 to $12 for 4 oz pours

Post by Gedge »

If you don't follow the Toronto Craft Beer subreddit, there's been quite a bit of negative feedback over this event that took place this past weekend in Toronto. The theme was collaborative beers between Blood Brothers and other breweries.

Apparently, it was $15 to get in to this ticketed event. This included a souvenir glass, a shot of sour beer jello and no tokens. Many who attended were shocked upon entry to find that 4 oz pours were priced between $7 and $12 each. I guess that included taxes and tip, but it does work out to $35 to $70 per pint. Prices were not advertised in advance, so attendees were not aware of the pricing structure for pours until arriving and entering the venue. Not only that, but it seems many of the beers weren't even draft and poured from cans.

Relevant thread is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/torontocraftbe ... irst_time/

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

That's brutal.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

cross-posting from reddit, but when did we revert to paying per pour at festivals? seemed like everything moved away from that to all inclusive ticket pricing years back.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

This pricing seems to be inline with what Volo charges for fancy bottle pours of Lambics (around $10/5oz.). That's certainly luxury pricing, but it seems like what this event had was not in that orbit. Local stuff at those prices seems quite rich.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I saw a couple of tweets (x's?) from Max Morin (Godspeed) but he didn't name names so I wasn't sure what he was referring to.

$12 for 4oz from a can is wild.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Between insane pricing and overcrowding, I'm generally put off of most festivals and special events these days. I'm much happier having a beer or two in a taproom, grabbing some cans to-go and drinking at home or a friend's place lol. I know there are still good ones out there, but this just sounds egregious.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

I remind myself that it costs nothing to walk into C'est What, to give but one example, and have thirty taps to choose from. That is a beer festival to me.

Mind, some pours are getting expensive there as well.