Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Is lining up for beer releases a thing of the past?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Is lining up for beer releases a thing of the past?

Post by El Pinguino »

When was the last time you stood in line waiting for a beer release?

With online orders possible almost everywhere now, it seems this old tradition is a thing of the past.

For me it was probably one of the Goose Island BCBS releases. I used to line up for Double Tempest Day, but was out of the country and didn't even bother asking anyone to grab some for me this past year, as it was still available 2 months later.

Oddly, I haven't bothered to try to snag any hyped up online releases from Third Moon or others...I think because it doesn't have the same friendly, fun celebratory atmosphere?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I think part of it is that there is SOOO much beer out there now that there is not really as much scarcity as there used to be, but also as I get older, the bar for what i'd be willing to line up for has gotten a lot higher and frankly there aren't many beers I'm willing to line up for anymore!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I can say I never lined up for a beer release, could never be bothered. Very little I'll line up for, more so now than ever. Meant I was late to the party trying some things though, i.e. I'd never had BCBS until the year the LCBO switched to the online release (2020, 2021?)

Not sure what would get me into a lineup these days, apart from the unavoidable ones like entry to events or at the airport, etc.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I think so, at least in Ontario. The frenzies of DFH 60 and peaking with Westy seem like ancient history.

Americans still seem to clamour for hot releases (are there still lines at Hill Farmstead?), but I just don't think folks here would do it. And as the overall quality and accessibly of good beer is so much higher I think it is harder to reach a 'lineup' height of demand.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Good point about Hill Farmstead, I haven't been there in many years...last time I went down to Vermont I skipped them. I guess because....SO many options out there as also mentioned.

I love Treehouse beers, and last time I went to their main spot it was easy in and out, with virtually no waiting for on-site pours too. Was so much more relaxing, lol!

And here, in Toronto, going to Bellwoods now you're presented with maybe 20 beers to choose from...so I suppose with increased capacity, people know there is no reason to rush out and get something before its gone.