Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

c'est What

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Personally I haven't had any issues at C'est What. I like it there and prefer the bar simply to be closer to the draught taps to see better what is available, how the beers pour, etc. I find the operation less "eccentric" since the second bar opened, it used to have a bohemian atmosphere what with the cellar and music but has moved on to become more mainstream.

I'd say in general though I do not like places where one is supervised too closely by the maitre d' or the waiters or other staff. I think (within reason) staff should let people sit where they like, customers feel more comfortable that way and staff don't always realise why a customer wants to sit where he does. I like a well-ventilated area, for example, so I don't like corners or being right near the door either (too drafty at least in winter).

Some types of places are welcoming and laissez faire, others less so. I think it is hard to get a balance, bar staff need to know when to talk a lot, when to ease off, and some have a gift for it and some less so.

Some nationalities are natural hosts. Elizabeth David (one of the great modern British food writers) once said this of Greeks and it is absolutely true in my experience, they have a natural, friendly way with customers that is welcoming and (genuinely) warm. But in the end each place is individual and the vibe may or may not suit all comers. For those who don't like a place, there is an old expression, vote with your feet.

Gary

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

old faithful wrote:I'd say in general though I do not like places where one is supervised too closely by the maitre d' or the waiters or other staff.

Some types of places are welcoming and laissez faire, others less so. I think it is hard to get a balance, bar staff need to know when to talk a lot, when to ease off, and some have a gift for it and some less so.

Gary
Yes, my early bar experience was in N Ireland where, although beer variety isn't as good as here, the staff at least leave you alone to enjoy your pint in peace. If you sit at the bar they are more likely to chat but not in a phoney way as if they feel obligated to.

My main reason for not going into bars anymore (unless I'm in downtown TO for the day) is because it's just too much hassle. The bar staff will start up a phoney conversation - which I feel obligated to respond to and not seem like an asshole - or they will harrass me to buy another drink when I'm only 2/3 of the way through the one in front of me, but will disappear when I'm ready for another. If I sit at a table instead of the bar I never know what the etiquette is here for getting another drink. I'd rather get up myself and go to the bar, especially when, as is often the case, the wait staff don't know half the beers they have on tap. And if I flag down a different member of staff and ask for another is that seen as a slap to the person who served me first time? Perhaps something to do with this bizarre North American tipping business? Which leads me to bar staff asking me to pay up because their shift is finishing. Like I care! What if I'm planning on staying for 1 or 5 more?