Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

¿C'est What? Stout Challenge on March 12th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

A Tuesday night of "blind" tasting of eight stouts starting at 7pm.

Tickets are $15 and go on sale on February 26th. Sure beats a night at the movies!

You bet I'll be there! :razz:

http://www.cestwhat.com/

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Some more information about the Stout tasting tomorrow at C'est What...

- doors open at 5:30, tasting begins at 7pm
- it will be taking place in the stage room (Church St. entrance)
- all participants will be given samples of all the stouts blind, and asked their opinions and (I think) to guess which stout they believe it is
- they are keeping the stout roster a secret, but Guinness & St. Ambroise Oatmeal are on the list. I would guess Rogue's Shakespeare/Wild Irish will also be sampled.

Should be a fun time. For those who know me, be sure to say hi.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2002-03-11 15:36 ]</font>

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thought I'd recap the Stout challenge at C'est What (I know it's a little late).

Looking back, this was my first C'est What tasting in many years. I remember going to a Belgian tasting during my early years of university, and I remember it fondly as it was the first time I tried a number of the beers, such as Bush and Mort Subite. I have of course been to the microbrew fests, but I find myself missing the tastings.

The tasting was held in the 'nia' section of C'est What, and there seemed to be a pretty good turnout. Unlike the Granite's Brewers Banquets, the tasting was not hosted or MC'
d. The staff simply came to your table every few minutes and provided another glass of stout.

We all had C'est What's standard beer rating sheet as we went along. Each stout came in a mini wine-style glass, about 4 oz. It was a blind tasting, and we did not know what the beers were until after it was over. We did know that Guinness and St. Ambroise Oatmeal were in the bunch.

The stouts that were served were: Amsterdam Irish Stout, Marston's Oyster Stout, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Wellington Imperial Stout, Dragon Stout, Royal Extra and of course Guinness and St. Amb.

The winner by far was St. Amb. It was head and shoulders above the rest of the field, and that seemed to be the general feeling of the crowd as well.

Unfortunately, I was hoping that C'est What would have a better stout selection than what was served. There are a number of good stouts available at the LCBO (such as Rogue's Shakespeare/Wild Irish) that would have given the Ambroise a challenge. However, C'est What "ran out" of the Rogue and didn't get anymore for the fest. Oh well.

Overall, it was a fun time, but as I was telling Ken from Black Oak I had too much of his Brown Ale the previous night and wasn't up for too much drinking at the challenge :smile:

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Our table of about 5 also rated St. Ambroise the highest. Most of us also had Guinness as the lowest score.

I agree that the stout selection could've been a little better. A good contender would've been the beer I had last night at Smokeless Joe's. I tried the Black Cat Stout which they currently have on tap.

It has the consistency of St. Amb's Oatmeal and takes a minute or two to settle leaving a nice head. I didn't think that the first sip of a beer, where you get mostly foam, could be so tasty!

It has very little to no bitterness and is very flavourful. If you find that the St. Ambroise Oatmeal is a little too sweet at times, you'll love this beer.