Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer show in Hamilton(?)

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

I've heard from Ken at Black Oak that there will be a beer show in Hamilton the first weekend of April. This isn't the one at the Judge, but something larger at Copps. That's all I really know. Does anyone have anymore information?

Joe

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The Hamilton beer show is being put on by Guy Exley, formely of the Ale Trail. Haven't heard too much about who's attending. Scotch Irish will be at the Judge's beer fest (to launch our Sgt. Major's IPA).

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

It's a 3 day show, Fri-Sunday, and the organizers tell me that they've signed up Cool Beer, Molson, Brick, Great Lakes, Steam Whistle, Black Oak, Creemore, Niagara, Magnotta, Camerons, Church-Key, Sleemans, Oland, Lakeport and Slavutich.

j@beaus

Post by j@beaus »

The Show is called:

Good Beer Festival Hamilton

It runs Friday April 5 - Saturday April 6 at the Hamilton Convention Centre.

Guy runs a great show at the St. Lawrance Market and we are expecting Hamilton to be a good time too.

The website for the event should be at http://www.y108.ca/goodbeerfestival some time soon.

Jason Ellsmere
Cameron's Brewing Company

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

I scoured the net a bit and here's what I found:

April 5, 2002 - April 6, 2002

Good Beer Festival Hamilton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Good Beer Festival will feature craft and specialty beer from Ontario and around the world. There will be over 100 brands of beer to sample along with live entertainment, food from some of the best pubs and restaurants in Hamilton and educational seminars. Sample tickets $0.50 each.

Cost: Free
Contact Number: 519-579-3017 or 416-304-0144
Hours: Fri. 4pm-11pm, Sat. 12pm-11pm

j@beaus

Post by j@beaus »

From the info that we have recieved...

Cost: $10 in advance $12 at the door.
Sample tickets: $1.00
A $2.00 off coupon will be on the website.

Jason Ellsmere
Cameron's Brewing Company

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

I called the 416 number listed in my previous post for clarification and left a message.

Shane called me back and confirmed that the price for the event is $10 in advance, $12 at the door. The tickets are $0.50 each, however most samples will require two tickets and premium samples will cost you three tickets.

Sorry about the confusion... Shane will ensure the website at:

http://city.hamilton.on.ca/

makes the necessary corrections.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for all the information guys. I too heard about the fest from Ken @ Black Oak.

Sounds like it could be a good time - I'm happy to see a fest where we might be able to actually chat with the brewers!

Good Beer Guy

Post by Good Beer Guy »

Hello everyone, Guy Exley here. I am one of the organizers of the Y108 Good Beer Festival Hamilton, April 5-6. We currently have 17 breweries attending and 6 restaurants. We will probably end up with about 20 breweries and 10 restaurants. We also have live entertainment going all day and educational seminars with people like Ian Bowering, Oliver Dawson and Nicholas Pashley.

The website is now up and running at http://www.y108.ca/goodbeerfestival.html. The cost is $10 in advance and $12 at the door. The Hamilton Spectator will be publishing a full show guide in the Thursday April 4 edition and there will be a $2 off the door coupon in the guide.

See you there. If you have any questions or need more information you can email me at guyexley@rogers.com

Cheers.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

As of 11am March 8th the website isn't reachable. I just tried and... no luck.

Publican

Post by Publican »

Jon, just go to http://www.y108.ca there is a link
on that site that lead to the beer festival site

Cheers

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Publican on 2002-03-08 11:19 ]</font>

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Guy's link above does not work because of the period at the end of html. Just remove the period after clicking on his link or just click here:

http://www.y108.ca/goodbeerfestival.html

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

I went to the show last night and, all in all, it was quite disappointing. It was very small with only about 15 breweries/distributors represented. There were some decent breweries--Creemore, Cameron's, Niagara Falls, and so on--but they just brought their standard fair, nothing unusual or unique. There was also a lot of crap. Oland brought their two quality products, Stella Artois and Keith's IPA (read ironically). Ricards was highly visible. And, let's not forget the Cool Beer girls.

Church Key seemed to be the only brewery to appreciate what a beer show should be. They had an interesting Chocolate Porter. It was flavoured with Cocoa and a little too chocolately for my taste--I prefer chocolate overtones to outright flavour--but a least they provided something different. I think they are a brewery with a lot of potential.

Cheers, Joe.

Tracey

Post by Tracey »

Does anyone know the name of the book that was for sale at this show? I meant to pick up a copy on my way out, but forgot. I think it was called ----- On a Bar Mat, but I forget the first word. Thanks for any help

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Hello and Welcome, Tracey:

The book was Nicholas Pashley's Notes on a Beermat. It is widely available. Unfortunately you'll not be able to get Mr. Pashley to sign a copy quite as easily. You'll have to search him out in one of his haunts in Toronto, which could be considered staulking. :wink: Anyway, having bought and read the book already, I had him sign a beermat for me.

Cheers, Joe.