Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Stein of the Times (Brock U course)

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Brock University in St. Catherines is offering a course entitled "The Stein of the Times: A Historical Exploration of the World's Finest Beers" Wednesday evenings in March. It's being taught by Kimberly Lee. Do you think it's worthwhile? Is anybody else thinking of taking it?

Joe.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Well, I attended my first beer class last night, and it wasn't bad. Our instructor (Kim Lee) seems knowledgable, and we had some decent beers to try, though nothing exceptional. I think she starting out with some conventional beers (True North Lager, Cameron's Pale Ale, Red Cap [yuk], Keith's IPA, Waterloo Dark) leading to more "exotic" beers in the weeks to come. We also tried a home brew based on an ancient Sumerian recipe. Interesting. Sickly sweet and chewy.

The information so far has been, as expected, basic and introductory. What I found helpful was learning different tasting techniques and comparing notes. And, I won a McAuslan teeshirt. We had a contest to see who could indentify a series of different aroma's associate with beer. I lucked out. My teammate recognized the sourkraut(sp?)!

Cheers,

Joe.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Well, I attended my first beer class last night, and it wasn't bad. Our instructor (Kim Lee) seems knowledgable, and we had some decent beers to try, though nothing exceptional. I think she starting out with some conventional beers (True North Lager, Cameron's Pale Ale, Red Cap [yuk], Keith's IPA, Waterloo Dark) leading to more "exotic" beers in the weeks to come. We also tried a home brew based on an ancient Sumerian recipe. Interesting. Sickly sweet and chewy.

The information so far has been, as expected, basic and introductory. What I found helpful was learning different tasting techniques and comparing notes. And, I won a McAuslan teeshirt. We had a contest to see who could indentify a series of different aroma's associate with beer. I lucked out. My teammate recognized the sourkraut(sp?)!

Cheers,

Joe.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Sorry for the double post. I must have submited it twice. :oops:

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Well, tonight I graduate from beer school. I just want to say, in spite of all the sweat and toil, in spite of the countless hours of homework, it was worth it. I now that piece of paper that nobody, NOBODY can take away.

Stay in school kids!

Tears welling, Joe

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Congrats Joe! The more you know about beer, the better you'll be able to appreciate the endless complexities to be found in our favorite beverage. Please check your private messages.
Cheers!
Perry