Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Planning a trip to Premie...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shintriad
Bar Fly

Planning a trip to Premie...

Post by shintriad »

I'm headed to Buffalo and Rochester this Sunday to pick up some supplies, and it'll be my first true cross-border beer run. I know there's a great specialty store in Rochester, but I'll probably just hit Premier Gourmet.

Any recommendations or things to look out for? I was thinking of buying about 10-15 different bottles (and some gourmet foodstuffs). Any idea of what I'm looking at, dollar-wise, or as far as legality?

And finally -- since I'll be staying in Rochester Rock City overnight -- is there anything to do, see or eat in either of these towns?

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

shintriad wrote:I'm headed to Buffalo and Rochester this Sunday to pick up some supplies, and it'll be my first true cross-border beer run. I know there's a great specialty store in Rochester, but I'll probably just hit Premier Gourmet.

Any recommendations or things to look out for? I was thinking of buying about 10-15 different bottles (and some gourmet foodstuffs). Any idea of what I'm looking at, dollar-wise, or as far as legality?

And finally -- since I'll be staying in Rochester Rock City overnight -- is there anything to do, see or eat in either of these towns?
Expect to pay $5.00-$10.00 US per bottle for imports, and $2.00-$5.99 US for US micros. Going to Premier is not cheap, but the selection is fantastic. I usually end up spending $75-$100 US per trip, and I end up with about 12 bottles.

As you are staying less than 48 hours, you are not entitled to bring back any beer duty free. I would recommend that you declare your beer. I always do and have yet to pay the duty. Even if they do make you pay the duty, I think it doesn't add up to that much. Maybe someone else can clarify that. If you don't declare it, they could confiscate it.

If you are looking at gourmet food products, I'd check the regulations. I'm not sure if cheese and meats are permitted.

Beers of the World in Rochester is worth a stop. It is absolutely huge. You might find some Southampton products that you won't find at Premier. The Service is terrible, however.

Not sure exactly what your are into, but Rochester has some good bars. McGregors has 125 taps. Can't remember what street it is on, but it is near RIT (The Rochester Institute of Technology). Otherwise, they have a great chrildren's museum downtown :) (I'm usually with my family). And, the shopping is decent. The Wegman's grocery store is a sight to behold--never seen anthing quite so large.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wow, good tips there, joeycapps. Now I feel motivated to spend some dough in Buffalo! (Of course Tronna is much farther away, you've got it good in the Hammer.)

I liked Premiére but I find that area of Buffalo kinda dull in a suburban way. So your tips for upper New York state (and the duty issue) are great.
In Beerum Veritas

Gmonk

Post by Gmonk »

Please note that the website has not been updated as far as the beer list is concerned. We are currently updating and going through our inventory. We have added many new breweries and dropped some. If you have any questions as to what is available feel free to ask, as there will not be an available beer associate on Sundays. Happy hunting!

-Karl Andersen Beer/Beverage Buyer-Premier Gourmet

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I used to like Pizza Plant on Main Street, Williamsville but last time I was there almost all the drafts were from the West Coast or New England. Although they do have bottled beers from the area and further east in New York State. Buffalo Brew Pub is a fun place, further down Main at Transit Road (first brewpub in the State, now 20 years old).

For buying at retail, Premier is still very good in Buffalo, very large choice especially in aged and vintage-style beers, great place.

In Rochester, the Toad downtown on Monroe (I believe it is) just off East Avenue often has - in good condition - real ale from England served on hand-pump. Yes. Quite amazing when they have it. Even when they don't, they'll offer CB cask beers (Custom Brewcrafter) from the area, Ellicotville near the lake actually, which are usually very good. Sometimes they carry Middle Ages beers on cask or otherwise from the brewery of that name in Syracuse, NY. McGregor's is in a different part of town and is very good too with a wider draft choice but no cask beer I believe. McGregor's has the feel of a bar from the 1940's if not earlier, check out its wooden beer fridges and related equipment some of which look to be pre-Prohibition-era.

Beers of the World on South Winton Road just outside of Rochester is a key retail store. True, it is very large and spread out but the people there do know their beer (sometimes you have to ask to speak to the right person, e.g., the owner). I could spend hours there. He was one of the last places in the State you could get Ballantine IPA some years back and maybe there's still a case in the corner there I've missed. :)

At Pizza Plant in Bufalo you can pick up Bill Metzger's Great Lakes Brewing broadsheet which has more detail on the retail and pub scene in these cities. Try at the Plant the Stone Smoked Porter, very stylish beer (West Coast again but in good condition). When I was there the other day they had a brown ale from Smutty Nose on cask but probably it's changed around since then. There is another Pizza Plant, on Transit Road (or did it close? I'm not sure), but I prefer the origianl one on Main Street. Very good pizza and "pods" (sort of like calzones), actually it's a cool place, the Plant, don't miss it.

Also Anchor Bar downtown in Buffalo (still on Main but downtown near where Main starts) for a jug of Genny Cream and the famous wings - some say Duff's is better but you can get Duff's in Toronto, right?

Gary

Gmonk

Post by Gmonk »

The Pizza Plant on Transit is still open. They also do informal tastings on Sunday evenings....it's pretty casual, usually the same group, everybody brings something to taste and we just go right down the line. You could also try Coles on Elmwood or Prespa's which has an excellant selection of taps and bottles

-Karl

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Premier is one of my favorite places but I haven't been for quite a while. Do they still have any of that cheap Schnapps stuff? You know, pay $3.99 and get a mail-in rebate for $3.99? Free alcohol has always been up my alley. Always enjoyed the Holiday Inn On Grand Island nearby. Great spot if you have kids.

How about the Friar's Table? I'm curious if it is still there. They used to advertise a three pound lobster tail. Great Prime Rib also. It's been a while...

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Just got back with 30 different bottles from Premium, which was everything I was expecting and more.

The staff is great -- they're practically chomping at the bit to share their beer knowledge and make suggestions. One of them even went into the back to grab me an ex-coworker's secret stash of Brooklyn Chocolate. That one's extra-special, although I got a lot of great Impy stouts, seasonals, fruit beers, a couple of Eisbocks, etc.

So, all told, the beer (with some fancy cheeses, mustard, chips, coffee and tea) came $150 US. The almost shockingly laissez-faire border guy waved us in without raising an eyebrow, so I have to say it was worth every greenback.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. In the end, we went for just one day and ate at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Rochester, which has excellent food and 25 beers including many decent locals.

Goodnight and God bless America!

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Gmonk wrote:Please note that the website has not been updated as far as the beer list is concerned. We are currently updating and going through our inventory. We have added many new breweries and dropped some. If you have any questions as to what is available feel free to ask, as there will not be an available beer associate on Sundays. Happy hunting!

-Karl Andersen Beer/Beverage Buyer-Premier Gourmet
Karl, is the beer list on the website still outdated or has it been updated? Any chance you could mention which breweries have been added and dropped here? I'm going to be visiting soon so I'm extra curious!
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Gmonk

Post by Gmonk »

Ok...some notable subtractions: DogfishHead, Shipyard and Seadog, Morlands, Belhaven and Ruddles. These are due mainly to the fact that one of our distributors has folded. I am currently working on getting them all back in, especially Dogfish.

Now the additions. Some of these we have had previously but were dropped and are making a reappearance after a brief hiatus. Some are completely new. Wychwood, Thiriez (farmhouses from France), des Geants Brewery, St. Louis lambics (you thought Lindemans was sweet tasting!?) Great Divide and Boulder Brewing from Colorado, Blue Point Brewing from Long Island (the Hoptical Illusion is VERY good), The returnees: Carlow Brewing, Dixie, Fullers (ESB only for now), de Leyerth(Urthel), Bosteels(Triple Karmeliet and Pauwel Kwak), Magic Hat, Neuzeller(Bath, Black Abbot, Porter) St.Bernardus Grotten, the Duchesse(one of my persoanl favorites)

We also do have some limited beers as well: Weyerbacher's Insanityand Heresy (Oak-Aged), Decadence(to celebrate their 10th anniversay) Middle Ages X (to celebrate their 10th as well) and of course the Sam Adams Utopia (Sell your car...by a beer!)

These are the ones I can think of off-hand. The updating on the list continues....so if you would like to know about anything feel free to call the store or post it in here! -Karl

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Paul, if they have the Magic Hat Ravell Porter, or the Thumbsucker I highly recommend both. (and would love a bottle of either if you can ;) hint hint)

Gmonk

Post by Gmonk »

As of right now those two are not avilable to us. Magic Hat is going with a different distributor, therfore they want to start out small going only with the Hocus Pocus, 9 and a 12pk variety. I am sure the line will be expanded, however. -Karl

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Hey, GMonk.

I'm heading down your way with blankboy and while I know :( your Dogfish Head is currently out of combat, if there are ANY bottles of the WorldWideStout squirreled away, I think between us we would take at least 4. I bought one last trip and it was well worth the $8.99! Any "special" imperial stouts, stouts and porters that might have migrated to the back room would be of special interest to me. I'm hoping you still have a couple of bottles of Sierra Nevada Porter and one or two of the JW Lees Harvest Ale by next week - I'm really looking forward to that one!.

See you soon -

Harry

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I saw that WWS last time. The sticker shock kept me from buying it, but I realized I shoulda got one.
In Beerum Veritas

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

First - blankboy and I bought the last 6 WorldWide Stouts!

Awesome trip - I brought back 45 bottles, most are at least very good, many exceptional (5 different vintages of J.W. Lees Harvest Ale, '98, '99, '01, '02, '03), Two '04 Victory Storm Kings, an Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru, two Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stouts, several Rogues ... don't know where to start.

Message for Gmonk at Premier: first, thanks loads for all the time you took - blankboy and I really appreciate you going the extra mile and rummaging around back for us - I hope your cold is better soon.

A small irritation - in addition to the 45 bottles I purchased (all accounted for), I also bought some sweets for my wife - they are on my bill but they must have been left at the check-out - your coworker with the facial hair rang my goods in.

Any chance you found a bag with:

- Chocoholic Body FR ($6.99 - small jar, little brush, you know what it is)
- La Vosgienne Pastilles (mixed) ($1.99)
- Necco Choc Wafers ($0.99)
- Chocolove Cherries bar ($2.99)

I thought he put them in one of my bags - no dice. If someone is making a trip down any time soon, any chance I could ask you to give him these items? I definitely paid for them, and my wife is pouting (not really!).

Or you could e-mail me - harry_heatherington@pch.gc.ca

I doubt I will be making another trip any time soon!

- Harry