Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Propeller ESB

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Propeller ESB

Post by pootz »

I see some sainted agent has stocked the shelves of the LCBO with Propeller bitter. It's fairly fresh too according to the date code on the label. Does anyone know if this is pasturized or what the un refridgerated shelf life of this beer is? I'd like to cellar a case (50-45degF) I really don't have room in the beer fridge for more tan a couple at a time.

Anyone had experience in storing any of the propeller brews?
Last edited by pootz on Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Having tried this one, my gut instinct is to drink it fresh as possible. It has a nice fragile character I'd rather hate to lose.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

It is not pasteurized and fresher is better. I can't comment on long term storage, as it's readily available here. When I have some, which is all the time, it doesn't last long! That said, I have bought it very close to it's best before date, and possibly after, from the NSLC and it was fine. I have only once ever had a bottle that was just starting to go off, and it was from a restaurant that had very low turnover on it. I'd guess it was close to a year old at that point, and it was still very drinkable.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobbyok wrote:It is not I have only once ever had a bottle that was just starting to go off, and it was from a restaurant that had very low turnover on it. I'd guess it was close to a year old at that point, and it was still very drinkable.
Storage is everything.

Michael Jackson's saying goes 'if you see a beer do it a favor and drink it.' Especially beers that aren't built for ageing the way super stouts and big belgians are.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Thanks good advise. I see the web site advised only a couple of weeks un refridgereted and a couple months refidgerated...sounds like unpasturized beer to me. Too bad this had to come in through the LCBO..I can see then handling this beer badly. Glad the bottling date is on the lable...best rule of thumb is to avoid it if it's been sitting unrefridgerated for a month or more.....I'll buy from the chilled beer shelves.
Aventinus rules!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

pootz wrote:Too bad this had to come in through the LCBO..I can see then handling this beer badly.
A mixed blessing. If you grab a sealed case as soon as it arrives it won't be light-struck at all. That's a great thing.

Good to know Pootz this is a beer to buy right away though, before the store temperature wrecks it. They give refunds though so nobody be too worried.
In Beerum Veritas

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I picked up a bottle at Summerhill recently. It sat warm for some days but that did it no harm. This beer is really good, squarely in that fruity English special bitter style I like so much. Quite similar in style (using local references) to Elora ESB and Hockley Dark. Great beers all, we don't need to fly to London; we've got as good or better.

Gary