Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St-Lawrence Market beer fest.

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Guy Exley will be putting on the second annual St-Larence Market Beer Fest on Father'sDay weekend (June). Scotch Irish will be there, and I hope to see some of you fanatics so that we may be able to chat about things beer.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Perry,

Will you be bringing along a cask of your IPA??? I'm still keen to try it.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Jon, I will bring the IPA in its filtered draught form to the St-Lawrence Market, providing it isn't sold out by then! Looking forward to seeing you there.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the news Perry. I missed last year's fest (I think it was the same weekend as the Mondial). Looking forward to this one.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Just a reminder that the St-Lawrence Market beer show is this coming up on Fathers Day weekend. Free admission! I'll be there with Dry Hop Bitter, Session Ale, Black Irish Porter and Sgt. Major's IPA (draught, not cask, sigh...)
Joe Cappadocia, please let me know your plans.
Thanks and hope top see many of you there. Please identify yourselves as Bar-towellers whn you come to the booth.
Perry

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I will be there on Sunday for most of the afternoon. I'll also be bringing along a good friend who's visiting from Vancouver, Jeff Ashton. Jeff is a very well known brewer in Vancouver, his beers (particularly his IPA's) routinely win awards at West Coast festivals. At one time he was working with Bert Grant to potentially licence brew some of his recipies in B.C. I'm sure he'll be keen to talk to Perry and to anyone else who brews themself.

Saturday evening I'll be introducing him to Smokeless Joe's for his first time ever! Is the Sgt. Major's still on tap there? I haven't been in for a couple of weeks.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Jon, I'll be calling Joe to find out if he wants more IPA. If not, there will be plenty at the show! Looking forward to seeing you all. *Bar-towelers please identify yourself at my booth. Its nice to put a face on the letters.
Cheers!
Perry

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Just a reminder that I will be giving a seminar on the beer selection in Ontario and why the LCBO makes the decisions that it does - 5pm on Saturday at the St. Lawrence fest.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

I just wanted to say thanks for a good show guys...sorry I was only able to make the Friday night portion. It was nice to put a few faces next to products. My hat goes off to the Ted McIntosh and his wife who were fantastic hosts at the Niagara Brewing Co, Booth. Eisbock, Pale and Apple Ale really set them apart from the rest.

Ta!

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

I'd like to second the "thanks." What a fantastic idea to couple it with the rib event.

It was nice to meet and talk to Perry Mason of Scotch Irish.

Michael Hancock is back with his petition to allow brew pubs to participate at beer shows; evidently last year's petition didn't meet bureacratic guidelines. He's at the C'est What? booth, and I'd urge you to sign.

As for ribs, I liked the ribs from the guy from Florida best (Gator something or other).

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Fun time, before the rain started :sad:

Perry, any way we can get a hold of one of your tap handles? Those are the coolest ones I've ever seen....

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

For those who attended on Saturday, I'm sorry to say that I did not give my seminar as planned.

The festival itself was quite informal, and I didn't feel it was appropriate to give a seminar on a subject such as the imported beer selection in Ontario. The speakers' mic was in fact on the band stage, and there was no separate 'educational area' as I had thought.

However, it was a fun festival (except for the rain), and it was nice to meet some of the Bartowelers and chat with the brewers again.

Perhaps I will make the seminar available on the site for anyone interested - it does have lots of new information about why the LCBO makes its decisions and what's in store for the future.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Cass:

I'd be interested in seeing that.

Andrew

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

OK - I'll format it a bit and post it up for download in a day or two.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Hello "A" , The tap handles we use are hand made in Ottawa by a local potter. She uses ironstone. Because they are hand made (no molds even!) they are time consuming and costly. When I finally catch up on the back log of handles we need for our new accounts, I will be selling tap handles and other related items on our website. Be forwarned though, the handles will cost about $50.00 each. This barely covers cost.
Cheers and thanks for your interest and support.
Perry