Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Three Philosophers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Esprit,

Will any of this be coming to Toronto by chance (like to Joe I mean, as I know the LCBO would take about a year to get it on the shelves even if they wanted to).

Or are we stuck until (if) another Ommegang beer makes the LCBO list?

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

At this point, the LCBO has not ordered any Ommegang product so you will not see any in the LCBO during 2002. Hennepin, which was released last fall, didn't set the world on fire so, as is always the case, the LCBO surmises that the buying public is not interested in U.S. interpretations of Belgian beers. The bottom line is that if it does not sell well, the LCBO sees no reason to re-order and, frankly, who can blame them. When they only bring in 200 cases for a population of 11,000,000 people and it takes 4 or 5 months to sell those 200 cases, one can only conclude that there is very little interest in this type of product.
The problem this creates is that we can only do a Private Order and that would entail an LCBO lab fee of $135 per product plus what would amount to astronomical freight charges since the trucking company would be picking up a small quantity of cases. Without an LCBO order on which we could piggyback a Private Order, it becomes impractical to bring in small quantities of Ommegang...so, sad to say, it may be a year or more before we see anything from Ommegang.