Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Alberta & Beers/Open letter to Screw2000

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

I was going to send this as a private message but then I thought there might be several of you who may help.

My wife is travelling to Banff on business at the end of the month and I thought it would be a good opportunity to import some beers unavailable in Ontario. Any suggestions? She'll probably only have room for about six, be it a six-pack or individual bottles.

Also, I'm trying to collect beer glasses from Canadian breweries. Do you know if there is anywhere in Banff that might have something interesting? I don't recall there being a brewery listed in Beaumont's guide, but is there a brewpub?

Unfortunately she won't have anytime in Calgary :cry: so I'll have to forgo the pleasures of that brew-scene.

Thanks in advance, Joe.

screw2000

Post by screw2000 »

The only brewpub I've heard of in the area is the Grizzly Paw in Canmore (about a 20 minute drive away). Never been there myself.

In Banff itself, I would probably visit Earl's and have a pint of Albino Rhino pale. I think they sell glassware with the logo (a rhino wearing sunglasses).

As far as take-home stuff, there is a liquor store on the main street. Peak Brewing and Big Rock products should be there. Big Rock stuff of interest (brands I rarely see on tap in Toronto, and never at the LCBO):
- PALE (their IPA, I'm not sure if this has replaced Chinook Pale)
- Springbok
- Black Amber
- McNally's Extra

Other bottles to keep an eye out for:
- Alley Kat (Edmonton micro)
- Brew Brothers (contract brewed by Alley Kat)

Hope this helps!

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Why is it that McNally's, which IMHO is the best of the Big Rock beers, isn't available here?

Here's how I get it:
  • My brother brings me a 6 whenever he comes from Calgary for a visit.
  • He will also sometimes mail me a 650mL bottle via Canada Post (100% success rate so far!)
  • I've been out in Regina on business and have brought back sixes for myself.
  • I've had colleagues bring me back sixes from Regina
It's crazy, but worth it.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Thanks Screw2000 (It's very difficult typing that name with straight fingers) and Matt.

I guess I wasn't too clear, I'm not going. And, my wife has a wheat allegry, so I think she'll forgo the pint. She may have to hunt me down some glassware though. I'll let you know what she returns with.

Thanks Again, Joe.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

In Canmore, around the corner from the Grizzly Paw, is the best beer shop in Alberta. It's not hard to find, since there are only a couple of beer shops in Canmore, but anything to be had will be had there.