Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Joseph Bloor Brewery

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Joseph Bloor Brewery

Post by GregClow »

In the April/May 2006 edition of the Great Lakes Brewing News, Robert Hughey reports on the impending launch of Joseph Bloor Brewery. Founded by marketer Ralph Smith - who was inspired by reading about a brewery founded in 1830 by early Torontonian Joseph Bloor in the area now known as Rosedale - this new venture will be a contract brewing operation.

The first Joseph Bloor offering will be Blockhouse Lager, a Munich-style Helles that will be aged for a full six weeks. Two other brands will follow later in the year: 1830 Pilsner (a German style pils) and Garrison Ale (brewed in the Scottish 80/- style). Watch for Joseph Bloor taps to appear soon at local bars and restaurants.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Anyone know where this is being brewed?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Rob Creighton wrote:Anyone know where this is being brewed?
I was wondering that myself. There was no mention of it in Robert's article.

Mother G

Post by Mother G »

I am betting Mill Street's new facility in Scarborough would be the place where they will brew it.

It is a 90 K hl facility and they will have tons of excess.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I was just thinking to myself the other day that Ontario needs another Munich-style Helles lager and another German style pils.

What's the line homer uses when talking about the Designer Jean market: "These are the people who saw an overcrowded marketplace and said, 'Me, too!"

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

In that it's a marketing company, my guess would be something much larger, like, in the Molbatt range.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Found a little bit of info on google:

1) offices are located at:
2 Bloor Street West, Suite 700
416-857-1999
source

2) office opened in Q4 2004
source

3) trademark search or registration Nov 10, 2004
contact information on trademark is:
Innovators, Inc.
6 Elizabeth Street South,
Mississauga L5G2Y5
905-891-6100
source

4) Innovators, Inc listed in Canada 411 as a business broker
source

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

tupalev wrote:I was just thinking to myself the other day that Ontario needs another Munich-style Helles lager and another German style pils.

What's the line homer uses when talking about the Designer Jean market: "These are the people who saw an overcrowded marketplace and said, 'Me, too!"
Yes! Haha, nicely done Tupalev!

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

tupalev wrote:I was just thinking to myself the other day that Ontario needs another Munich-style Helles lager and another German style pils.

I was thinking the same thing!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I was just thinking to myself the other day that Ontario needs another Munich-style Helles lager and another German style pils.
I actually think that we do, assuming they are well made. Since the demise of Gordon Biersch, can someone name our true Munich Helles lagers? Headstrong (very recent addition to the market), Andechs (but very very infrequently made), Edelbrau (defunct). Are there others? Pilsners are perhaps somewhat better represented, but the best in the province, King, is definitely a Czech-style pils. Stonehammer is quite good these days and Steamwhistle will do in a pinch. Are there others?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There are so many locally-made Pils and Helles small-Micro beers made in Bavaria; frankly they are a lot less boring so it bothers no-one.

How do these differ from most Ontario micro lagers? They posess a creamier feel, and are more 'live', complex & multi-layered in taste. Things we 'real beer' people search for. Will Bloor make such a Baviarian-style Lager? You're dreaming.
In Beerum Veritas

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

midlife crisis wrote:
I actually think that we do, assuming they are well made. Since the demise of Gordon Biersch, can someone name our true Munich Helles lagers? Headstrong (very recent addition to the market), Andechs (but very very infrequently made), Edelbrau (defunct). Are there others? Pilsners are perhaps somewhat better represented, but the best in the province, King, is definitely a Czech-style pils. Stonehammer is quite good these days and Steamwhistle will do in a pinch. Are there others?
Thanks for posting midlife. I was getting more and more annoyed as I getting down the thread. We are severely lacking in the respect of well made pilsners and helles -Especially the helles which we really do not have a viable example here.

The Helles is one of the most wonderful beer styles out there when it is well made and unfortunately, we have had very few come our way in the past 10 years. Until I sampled several in Austria a few years ago, my only authentic experience was the sadly defunct Bavarian Hell, expertly brewed by Sir Michael himself. Unfortunately, it is one of the most difficult styles to brew well, owing to it's delicate nature - easy to overhop and the malts have to be of high quality to lend a fairly full body for a lager, almost a nutty quality in the better ones.

This "go big or go home" attitude stemming from Ratebeer parakeets is misguided and a little immature, in my opinion. We need to make room for the wonderful, delicate, extremely quaffable beer styles out there. The canned german products don't compare to a fresh samples they drink across the Atlantic - and we don't have a Helles as far as I know anyways.

As for the slashing Belgian just gave the brewer before he even had a chance to put out the beer, that's just wrong. I for one will be happy to try the new offering when it comes out and I will let the beer give the impression.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Ratebeer parakeets
Nice one dhurtubise. I could have written your response for you. How 'bout I just group "all you guys" who always come on here spouting the virtues of lager style beers that can only be sampled properly in their country of origin? And how we who have the audacity to like to some big styles of beers just couldn't possibly get it?

I'm all for proper interpretations of long neglected styles, and I hope this brewery blows our socks off (and I will judge it when it comes out, not before). And I think I am an optimist in this group. But even the deep darkest cynic in me sees the words "Founded by marketer" and this little blurb about the brewery and the types of beers he is going to make and has doubts.

I guess I'm just not as good of a person as you.

I do agree though that a brewery should not be slammed until we get to try its products. I thought my little humorous quip might generate some discussion, and it has, so mission accomplished.

Thanks for ascending down and joining in the fray, you can go back up now.

dhurtubise

Post by dhurtubise »

tupalev wrote:
Ratebeer parakeets
Nice one dhurtubise. I could have written your response for you. How 'bout I just group "all you guys" who always come on here spouting the virtues of lager style beers that can only be sampled properly in their country of origin? And how we who have the audacity to like to some big styles of beers just couldn't possibly get it?
I've never said this. Good beer is all about ingredients, process and freshness. All of these are availble here. Michael used to make a great helles - in fact, before I sampled it I did not have much respect for any light lager. His is the beer that changed my outlook on lagers. The fact that we have very few good lagers being produced in Ontario, despite the fact that well over 90% of the beer available falls in this category is what I find unacceptable.

I enjoy the big ones as well. I just don't limit myself to them.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

midlife crisis wrote:
Pilsners are perhaps somewhat better represented, but the best in the province, King, is definitely a Czech-style pils. Stonehammer is quite good these days and Steamwhistle will do in a pinch. Are there others?
Just to add to your list: Stratford Pilsner, Gold Crown King Pilsner and I believe the Mill Street Organic is also a Pilsner style lager.

I’ll admit I’m not a big fan of to many lagers and thus my lack of interest in this new marketing company, but at least they’re not coming out with another honey beer!! My prediction is that they will come out with a Pilsner similar to Steamwhistle (but cheaper) to compete with them and follow on the success they’ve made in Toronto. If this is a company with a lot of money behind them, it will all go into the marketing and not the beer. Just my prediction, I hope I’m wrong.