Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mondial de la Biere - May 31st to June 4th - Montreal, QC

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mds

Post by mds »

Andicus wrote:Any hotel recommendations for the festival?

Good or bad previous experiences?

Not looking for a fleabag inn. But also not $300/night. Preferably something close with reasonable parking, too, since we'll be driving up.

Who else is certain that they're going?

Also, are there any good store recommendations? We'll hit an SAQ, but what else is there? Deppaneur?
I stayed at the HI Hostel - it was something like $28/night and it's stumbling distance to the Metro and Gare Windsor. But hostells may not be your style ;)

Definitely go to Metro Joanette - it's accessible by Metro and fairly easily by car. Check out the places section on RB otherwise.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to go. It'll be a last minute decision.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

One of the days we're there we'll be going to the Metro Joanette. Hopefully this time we'll have better luck in it actually having beer on the shelves this time. :o We went there by car last time ahead of getting into downtown Montreal. Be aware that there are a number of one way streets and you're limited to street parking which wasn't in abundance.

We'll be hitting up on at least two others, one outside of Montreal and the other near Dieu de Ciel. The names are written down somewhere at home... There may be a couple more depending on what we get. I have to ask the Schoune guys at Mondial where I can get a couple case of their maple beer. :D Stupid wimpy UC Maple and Niagara beers...
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lister wrote:I have to ask the Schoune guys at Mondial where I can get a couple case of their maple beer. :D Stupid wimpy UC Maple and Niagara beers...
Best bet for buying that much Schoune beer would probably be at the brewery itself. They're pretty easy to find, about 10 minutes off the highway just past the Ontario/Quebec border. Best to contact them in advance, though, to make sure someone will be around when you want to stop by - it's quite literaraly a farmhouse brewery (or at least it was when I visited a few years ago). Check http://www.schoune.com for details.

In case you missed it in the Sleeman/UC thread, UC Maple is being retired along with a bunch of other UC beers. Moosehead has killed off some of the Niagara line-up as well, but the Maple should be safe since it's officially a Honey Brown Maple Wheat, and honey beers are still hot.

Have you tried the Heritage Maple Bush yet? I suspect you'll like that one. And you may like the new J.R. Brickman Honey Red - it's still gimmicky, but it's quite an improvement over the Brick Honey Red.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

lister wrote:One of the days we're there we'll be going to the Metro Joanette. Hopefully this time we'll have better luck in it actually having beer on the shelves this time. :o We went there by car last time ahead of getting into downtown Montreal. Be aware that there are a number of one way streets and you're limited to street parking which wasn't in abundance.

We'll be hitting up on at least two others, one outside of Montreal and the other near Dieu de Ciel. The names are written down somewhere at home... There may be a couple more depending on what we get. I have to ask the Schoune guys at Mondial where I can get a couple case of their maple beer. :D Stupid wimpy UC Maple and Niagara beers...
Yeah, watch out for those one way streets - I got a bit lost the first time and was so excited to find the street Joanette was on I almost went the wrong way. It is only street parking, but I had no trouble the two times I was there. I guess it would depend on time of day though. And during Mondial is probably not the best time to be there as it's one of the places those in the know will head for to stock up after the festival. The shelves were a bit depleted by the time I got there during Mondial a couple years ago.

The Depanneur near Dieu de Ciel is called Rahman. Less than a block away if I recall correctly.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GregClow wrote:Best bet for buying that much Schoune beer would probably be at the brewery itself. They're pretty easy to find, about 10 minutes off the highway just past the Ontario/Quebec border. Best to contact them in advance, though, to make sure someone will be around when you want to stop by - it's quite literaraly a farmhouse brewery (or at least it was when I visited a few years ago). Check http://www.schoune.com for details.
Actually I have contacted them, twice actually. The first time by email with no response and the second through my girlfriend's cousin who speaks French. My original plan was to stop by on Sunday during the drive back. However the place is closed on Sundays. DOH! So Schoune suggested either meeting them outside the festival to buy a few cases or visit two particular stores that stock it.
In case you missed it in the Sleeman/UC thread, UC Maple is being retired along with a bunch of other UC beers. Moosehead has killed off some of the Niagara line-up as well, but the Maple should be safe since it's officially a Honey Brown Maple Wheat, and honey beers are still hot.
Yup read that. No tears shed here.
Have you tried the Heritage Maple Bush yet? I suspect you'll like that one. And you may like the new J.R. Brickman Honey Red - it's still gimmicky, but it's quite an improvement over the Brick Honey Red.
No I haven't tried it yet. Next Tuesday at C'est What will be the first time. Given what I've read, it should be an improvement over the current maple beers but nothing like the Schoune one. Nothing wrong with some middle ground...

I didn't mind the original Honey Red. It wasn't a favourite but it was alright to have if the rest of the tap lineup sucked. I was kind of hoping that there would be shades of Algonquin Honey Brown in there but alas poor lister. :(
Last edited by lister on Wed May 17, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Bobbyok wrote:Yeah, watch out for those one way streets - I got a bit lost the first time and was so excited to find the street Joanette was on I almost went the wrong way.
I almost turned into oncoming traffic on the first one way street I encountered! The map I was using didn't show the one ways.
And during Mondial is probably not the best time to be there as it's one of the places those in the know will head for to stock up after the festival. The shelves were a bit depleted by the time I got there during Mondial a couple years ago.
That's good to know.
The Depanneur near Dieu de Ciel is called Rahman. Less than a block away if I recall correctly.
Yeah that's the name. It's about a block away but walking there felt longer.
lister

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

If any towlers want to hook up at Mondial, I'll be there Thurs. Friday, Sat. I intend to spnd most of my time at Le Petit Pub....some great US micros on tap.
Aventinus rules!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

pootz wrote:If any towlers want to hook up at Mondial, I'll be there Thurs. Friday, Sat. I intend to spnd most of my time at Le Petit Pub....some great US micros on tap.
If I am recalling correctly, most of those US beers will be in bottles, and you have to be careful. At least a couple of the beers were not in great shape. Probably in part due to shipping them to the festival well in advance. Not to discourage you, just be wary.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

JerCraigs wrote:
pootz wrote:If any towlers want to hook up at Mondial, I'll be there Thurs. Friday, Sat. I intend to spnd most of my time at Le Petit Pub....some great US micros on tap.
If I am recalling correctly, most of those US beers will be in bottles, and you have to be careful. At least a couple of the beers were not in great shape. Probably in part due to shipping them to the festival well in advance. Not to discourage you, just be wary.
Two years ago I don't remember any of the Petit Pub beers being on tap. All bottles. So be careful you're not getting a pour from a bottle that's been sitting open for a while, another reason some may not have been in great shape.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I think he is getting mixed up with Dieu du Ciel! having US Micros on tap during the festival. But that will be at the brewpub, not the event.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

lister wrote: have to ask the Schoune guys at Mondial where I can get a couple case of their maple beer. :D Stupid wimpy UC Maple and Niagara beers...
Have you tried Northern's Red Maple?
Aventinus rules!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

pootz wrote:Have you tried Northern's Red Maple?
Yes I have both before and after the takeover of the brewery. Of the maple beers we have available in Ontario I do like that one the best though it's by no means awesome. I usually get a 6/12 pack a couple of times a year.

I've only had the small sample of Heritage's Maple Bush at C'est What on Tuesday so I'm hesitant to say yea or nay to it until I have a full pint. What I did find though is that I liked the finish but there was something sharp up front which put me off. The sweetness is still very slight compared to Schoune and I found Schoune to be a lot smoother to drink. Maybe I'll have that pint at Volo this weekend if it's still on tap.
lister

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lister wrote:Maybe I'll have that pint at Volo this weekend if it's still on tap.
Maple Bush was never on tap at Volo. They only have (had?) it in bomber bottles.

I think George was pouring from bottles at C'est What as well. Perhaps they didn't do any kegs at all.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

GregClow wrote:Maple Bush was never on tap at Volo. They only have (had?) it in bomber bottles.

I think George was pouring from bottles at C'est What as well. Perhaps they didn't do any kegs at all.
Ah, good to know. Maybe I'll see about getting a full pint tomorrow at CW first in case Volo ran out.
lister

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Here is teh line-up of taps at Dieu du Ciel during the Mondial btw...

1 - Shakespeare Stout et Imperial IPA, de Rogue

2 - 90 minutes IPA, de Dogfish

3 - Oak aged Yeti Imperial Stout, de Great Divide

Only one keg of each will be tapped, so dont wait too long.