Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mondial de la Biere - May 31st to June 4th - Montreal, QC

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Mondial de la Biere - May 31st to June 4th - Montreal, QC

Post by JWalter »

Ok, it's five weeks away, who's going? Steve-E and I are driving up to Montreal on Friday morning, planning to also hit Dieu de Ciel either Fri or Sat night, also a good deppaneur to bring back some goodies...

Anyone else going for sure, want to meet up somewhere? Also, if anyone is planning to head from Toronto after work on Friday, I have another buddy who could use a ride...

http://www.festivalmondialbiere.qc.ca/E ... /info.html

Question for anyone who has gone before - is it worthwhile to do the prepayment thing?

Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

JWalter wrote:Question for anyone who has gone before - is it worthwhile to do the prepayment thing?

Only if you really want the t-shirt. I don't think it saves you any time in line or anything.

We usually don't buy the festival glass - it's not a good shape, take your own.

-Josh

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

detritus wrote:
JWalter wrote:Question for anyone who has gone before - is it worthwhile to do the prepayment thing?

Only if you really want the t-shirt. I don't think it saves you any time in line or anything.

We usually don't buy the festival glass - it's not a good shape, take your own.

-Josh
Seconded for both - the line-ups for tickets are no longer than the line-up to pick up your prepaid tickets and you are indeed better off bringing your own glass. If I recall correctly some of the booths sell some decent glassware, Unibroue, Duvel, etc.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I didnt prepay the time I went, and bringing a glass (or two!) is recommended. Some of the... lesser... beers are suitable for sharing. Also many of the breweries will top you up a bit more when you have a glass rather than the little plastic dealies some of them use.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Not sure I can go, but I did get an email from Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head saying he'll be there.

By the way, funny story. He was going to send me a bottle each of the 90 Minute and 120 Minute IPA for forwarding the Toronto Star story to him, but the paperwork was going to be arduous so I suggested he send me a t-shirt instead. It turns out now I'll have to pay $15 duty on the "free" t-shirt.

Ah, bureaucracy!

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

That's awful about the T-shirt! He should've listed it as $5 value. He must've put around $50 or $60 to come out to $15 in charges.

My friend Todd and I are planning to go. We're also planning to drive up through the U.S. so we can stop at BOTW on the way! Does anyone know how strict the borders in Quebec are on importing beer? I guess it doesn't matter, since it'll be worth it to pick up some of the stuff available there.

I'll let you know closer to the date if it's for sure, and we can plan to hook up.

It really just depends on my wife's schedule, but I'm pretty sure it can be worked out.

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

Just to let people know, the exhibitor list for 2006 has been posted here. [/url]
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We're taking the train there on Thursday and driving back with our booty on Sunday... Yarrrr!
lister

mds

Post by mds »

Steve Spong wrote:Just to let people know, the exhibitor list for 2006 has been posted here.
Nice, DDC is going to have their aphrodisiaque? Good stuff.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

mds wrote:
Steve Spong wrote:Just to let people know, the exhibitor list for 2006 has been posted here.
Nice, DDC is going to have their aphrodisiaque? Good stuff.
Tabernaque! :( Man, I want to try that so bad its not funny. Fate is teasing me. (Or perhaps encouraging me to go to Mondiale! Hehe.)

downtown drinker

Post by downtown drinker »

A few new things expected...

Unibroue has San Antonio
McAuslan has a Framboise
Schoune has a Tripel, and...
Rickards has an Original White!

(Plus, Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin are both going to have beers at the Petit Pub.)

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

downtown drinker wrote: (Plus, Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin are both going to have beers at the Petit Pub.)
I had Russian River last summer at the Ommegang fest. Excellent stuff. Maybe I should go after all... :D

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Something new at this year's Mondial, just noticed at their website:

After hours at Dieu du ciel!
After opening hours of the Mondial de la bière festival, Wednesday May 31 to Sunday June 4, you are invited to Dieu du ciel! (29 Laurier Street West) to continue your tasting of imported beers from Great Divide, Dogfish Head and Rogue.

Even more reason to visit Dieu du Ciel!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Steve Beaumont wrote:Something new at this year's Mondial, just noticed at their website:

After hours at Dieu du ciel!
After opening hours of the Mondial de la bière festival, Wednesday May 31 to Sunday June 4, you are invited to Dieu du ciel! (29 Laurier Street West) to continue your tasting of imported beers from Great Divide, Dogfish Head and Rogue.

Even more reason to visit Dieu du Ciel!
Personally I'd be more excited to see an "all-star" DDC line up with all their best stuff on than the other breweries - most of the others are available on bottles and are a little easier to access than the single location DDC stuff.

That said, that is a great trio of breweries! At any other location, I'd probably be making this face: :o Hehe

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Any hotel recommendations for the festival?

Good or bad previous experiences?

Not looking for a fleabag inn. But also not $300/night. Preferably something close with reasonable parking, too, since we'll be driving up.

Who else is certain that they're going?

Also, are there any good store recommendations? We'll hit an SAQ, but what else is there? Deppaneur?