Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What are you drinking these [warmer] days?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

What are you drinking these [warmer] days?

Post by Belgian »

Me:

Coming home from work - Saison Dupont (really full tasting yet refreshing)

Doing garden stuff - 60 Minute IPA (nothing cuts the thirst like heaps o' hops)

Late evening reflections by fireplace while sporting a pipe and monocle - St. Bernardus 6 (just Belgian enough for a hot day.)

"Hot time, summer in the city...."
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

1) Fuller's London Pride, chilled but not refridgerator cold. I take mine out of my cellar and pour into a pint glass from the freezer.

2) Christoffel Blond. From the fridge but usually pulled out five or ten minutes before pouring.

3) Every once in a while a pilsner. Stone Hammer, Robert Simpson or Steam Whistle. Fridge cold straight from the bottle.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Tankhouse Ale or Granite Bitter.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I knocked off a can of Robert Simpson hoofing it down Yonge Street during the TTC strike. :D

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

At the moment I'm going for Red Hook IPA. A wonderfully hoppy, citrus IPA which knocks the socks off of DFH 60 Min :P

The Granite Cask Peculiar went down rather nicely at the start of this hot spell.

And of course the great fall back beer, Headstrong Pale Ale.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

The J.R. Brickman Pilsner and DFH 60 Minute have been going down nicely the last couple of days. And I enjoyed splitting several pitchers of Creemore tonight while hanging out with some old friends on a patio.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Steamwhistle
Church Key Cranberry Maple
Lemonade
Water
lister

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I've been saved from this heat wave by the Brickman beers, the Nickelbrook premium and the Taps Premium augmented with the odd Hoegaarden wit...

I sure as heck am NOT drinking what I usually do at this time of year: Schnieder weiss, Hacker-Pschorr hefeweiss or Edelhell, Paulaner Hefeweiss, or saisons and of course Kolsch.....these traditional summer drinks seem to be absent from our state Liquor monopoly shelves this summer...fortunately I have located a few pockets of remaining product and ( once again) will have to do some driving to stock in proper provisions of summer beer fare.....some times being under the control of the state liquor monopoly feels like we are reliving the consumer experiences of a cold war era soviet state where there are cues and shortages of any import consumer item.

Kudos to Brickman for giving us a local session pilsner and Amber lager
Kudos to Black Oak for another release of summer saison
Kudos to Beau's for giving us a local version of Kolsch

Brick bats to the purchasing gurus in the LCBO who think fruit drinks are an adequate substitute for traditional light summer wheat ales.
Last edited by pootz on Wed May 31, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

pootz wrote: Kudos to Brickman for giving us a local session pilsner and Amber lager
Kudos to Black Oak for another release of summer saison
Kudos to Beau's for giving us a local version of Kolsch
Where are these beers available?

Thanks in advance,

Uncle Bobby
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Black Oak haven't yet released the saison (to my knowledge) and it's probably only available at the brewery. Having spoken to the guys running Beau's I can tell you they haven't yet started distributing their one beer. When they do it will only be on draft in the Ottawa area (at first). Brick's new stuff is supposed to be available through the beer store.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

So, basically, Pootz is giving kudos to beers that we can't sample yet? So how can kudos be awarded? Or have I read it wrong :oops:

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

pootz wrote: I sure as heck am NOT drinking what I usually do at this time of year: Schnieder weiss, Hacker-Pschorr hefeweiss or Edelhell, Paulaner Hefeweiss, or saisons and of course Kolsch.....these traditional summer drinks seem to be absent from our state Liquor monopoly shelves this summer...
Schneider Weisse was delisted here in Nova Scotia recently too. If it's now gone from Ontario, I wonder if it was Schneider's decision rather than the LCBO or NSLC?

As for what I'm drinking, lots of homebrew. I've got a keg of Magnotta's Festa Brew West Coast IPA on the go, plus the last bits of their Double Oatmeal Stout, which I assume would be pretty similar to the True North Double Oatmeal Treacle Stout that was available at one of the events going on in the past few weeks.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Drinking Victory Whirlwind Wit acquired from Buffalo.

Wish I could be drinking 60min IPA :(

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobbyok wrote:
pootz wrote: I sure as heck am NOT drinking what I usually do at this time of year: Schnieder weiss, Hacker-Pschorr hefeweiss or Edelhell, Paulaner Hefeweiss, or saisons and of course Kolsch.....these traditional summer drinks seem to be absent from our state Liquor monopoly shelves this summer...
Schneider Weisse was delisted here in Nova Scotia recently too. If it's now gone from Ontario, I wonder if it was Schneider's decision rather than the LCBO or NSLC?
There is plenty of Schnieder Weisse on LCBO shelves, at least according to their website inventory. Maybe the stock has dried up at pootz's local outlet, but there is no evidence that the LCBO will be delisting it any time soon.

The Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner seem to be less available at the moment, but there are still some bottles kicking around here and there. It's probably more a supply issue than anything else.
Last edited by GregClow on Wed May 31, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clasher

Post by clasher »

I saw plenty of Schneider on the shelves at hte local LC here... and we have a fridge full at work.